BFS vs Normal Setup

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Bass4money
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

BFS vs Normal Setup

Post by Bass4money » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:55 pm

Simple question, will a bfs setup cast farther or a regular bass setup??
Equipment: Zodias M power with Aldebaran on 8lbs with 1/8oz worm
Or Curado/ SLX bfs with BFS rod and 8lbs with 1/8oz worm??

I have a Zodias M power with Aldebaran, and can cast pretty far with a 1/8oz worm. The question on my mind is, Will a bfs setup cast farther using the same weight??? Or should I stick to my Aldebaran setup??

Lastworm
Angler
Angler

Re: BFS vs Normal Setup

Post by Lastworm » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:56 pm

BFS will cast further and most importantly with less effort than the normal bass gear, with the same weight.

I had an Aldebaran 50 and was casting 4g weights with it, and although it did cast them the tell always felt choked up at that weight, even my Chronarch handled 4g lures better. I ended up getting the 16 BFS and selling the Aldebaran 50 as other than its light weight I never really found it to be that good of a performer.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:23 am

Further... harder to tell (read below). Easier for the same distance, yes.

Something to note, if it is an 1/8oz weight plus worm, that changes weight quite a bit. Worm size also adds a big variable.

Pitching and short range casting will definitely feel better with a BFE reel. I love the Curado BFS for finesse bass plastics. Casts them good and better in the wind than the Aldebaran 50.

You can get about 45-50yds of 8lb FC on the Curado BFS. Plenty for finesse work. You can run a 10lb braid if more capacity is needed.

I also know the Curado BFS can skip weightless plastics (especially weightless flipping baits) very good too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:34 am

If you’re currently using a M rod to cast 1/8oz I’d also consider how well that rod loads with light weights compared to a BFS rod. A lighter rod with a lighter tip will sling your bait better - but as you’re creating this kind of whipping action, you need a BC and spool that handles your sudden/faster start ups better. In some ways they’re linked: a BFS rod that loads well calls for a BFS reel that can handle that load. Not saying the Aldebaran 50 won’t deal with it, but that’s where light BFS spools shine.

Bass4money
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bass4money » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:24 pm

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I'll benefit from the change!!! any specific rods that you guys recommend??? I don't mind 2 piece rods, that will probably make it easier for transporting and throwing it in the truck.
I will probably end up getting a SLX bfs reel from digitaka.

Bass4money
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bass4money » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:26 pm

Specifically what rods and power if you guys can. Ideally in the $100 range ......I know about the Dobyns, anything else that's out there??? I'll be using it mainly for Bass and very rarely the occasional trout in the mountains......

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:52 pm

unless you really want a baitcaster, you will find (in that price range) a medium light spinning rod and reel will work better...
1-2%

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:34 pm

Bass4money wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:26 pm
Specifically what rods and power if you guys can. Ideally in the $100 range ......I know about the Dobyns, anything else that's out there??? I'll be using it mainly for Bass and very rarely the occasional trout in the mountains......
Shimano has a couple affordable options for bass BFS rods.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:39 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:52 pm
unless you really want a baitcaster, you will find (in that price range) a medium light spinning rod and reel will work better...
You do realize this is TackleTour, right? :lol: :lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:24 am

If you can stand to wait, there are some nice Aliexpress options too, anywhere from UL to ML, problem is some UL are more like Lights and some ML are stronger than USDM Medium powers. I have a similar issue, looking for a reel to match with a 6'10"ML casting rod, scared a true BFS will not have enough capacity of 8lb-10lb max fluorocarbon whilst throwing 1/8-3/16 with small plastics, like dropshots. Was considering waiting for the new Alphas SVTW Shallow, it seems to fit in between BFS/Finesse well for capacity, much like the CT SV reels did. The Aldebaran 30 MGL seemed to be the capacity I look for.

Bass4money
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bass4money » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:18 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:24 am
If you can stand to wait, there are some nice Aliexpress options too, anywhere from UL to ML, problem is some UL are more like Lights and some ML are stronger than USDM Medium powers. I have a similar issue, looking for a reel to match with a 6'10"ML casting rod, scared a true BFS will not have enough capacity of 8lb-10lb max fluorocarbon whilst throwing 1/8-3/16 with small plastics, like dropshots. Was considering waiting for the new Alphas SVTW Shallow, it seems to fit in between BFS/Finesse well for capacity, much like the CT SV reels did. The Aldebaran 30 MGL seemed to be the capacity I look for.
Yes i know spinning can do just as good or better, but there's nothing like a tiny baitcaster!!!

Yeah the Aldebaran 30 has been amazing, really one of my favorite reels...... Can handle light setup and 3/8oz lures easily with enough line to break off twice and still be able to fish haha....
But I got the itch that can't be scratch, I need more gear....

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:41 pm

Bass4money wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:18 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:24 am
Yes i know spinning can do just as good or better, but there's nothing like a tiny baitcaster!!!

Yeah the Aldebaran 30 has been amazing, really one of my favorite reels...... Can handle light setup and 3/8oz lures easily with enough line to break off twice and still be able to fish haha....
But I got the itch that can't be scratch, I need more gear....
You'll fit in great here then. I have always found reels to cast further with lighter lures than most people claim (regular reels). I have not personally owed a true BFS reel, but even reels like my Chronarch MGL, Conquest HG, and even the big old Zillion TWS cast 3/16 heads with small plastics fine. This was using 10-12lb fluoro and at least a half spool of braid backing to further lighten, but the distance I got was great.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:23 pm

Back in the days, while running 15# braid setups and tossing lures mostly in the 1/4 oz on the Metanium MG7's were quite the boot. The one time I used my Curado 50E and had no brakes on, wow did it toss them 1/8 oz. lures far, until a little wind gave me the biggest spool blow up ever. LOL. I personally don't really cast that far. On average I only need about 25 yards cast. When I'm getting like 35 yards, that's a long cast for me.

This brings me to the Zodias Rods and I have both the ML the older one 7' glass and the newer 7'2" xf action. I have the Chronarch MGL with 20# Diawa J-Braid and it casts amazing smooth in part due to the monocoque handle. As far as distance goes, I have a Bantam MGL with 15# Diawa J-Braid, and it does more distance on 1/4 oz lures over the Chronarch MGL. That's all line diameter difference.

Now getting to the Curado BFS reels vs the Curado 70HG reels. Overall I haven't really fished the Curado BFS or rather haven't caught a fish on that reel on open water as of yet. Hopefully I will get to find out soon. However with just backyard dry casting, I'm finding the Curado BFS to be quiet smooth on the casts and a few feet further on the 1/8th oz. bullet weight. The older Curado 70 still feels smoother on the retrieve. Hopefully the weather stabilizes so I can get out on my day off work. Need to play with the equipment to test it out.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Bass4money
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bass4money » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:48 pm

slipperybob wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:23 pm
Back in the days, while running 15# braid setups and tossing lures mostly in the 1/4 oz on the Metanium MG7's were quite the boot. The one time I used my Curado 50E and had no brakes on, wow did it toss them 1/8 oz. lures far, until a little wind gave me the biggest spool blow up ever. LOL. I personally don't really cast that far. On average I only need about 25 yards cast. When I'm getting like 35 yards, that's a long cast for me.

This brings me to the Zodias Rods and I have both the ML the older one 7' glass and the newer 7'2" xf action. I have the Chronarch MGL with 20# Diawa J-Braid and it casts amazing smooth in part due to the monocoque handle. As far as distance goes, I have a Bantam MGL with 15# Diawa J-Braid, and it does more distance on 1/4 oz lures over the Chronarch MGL. That's all line diameter difference.

Now getting to the Curado BFS reels vs the Curado 70HG reels. Overall I haven't really fished the Curado BFS or rather haven't caught a fish on that reel on open water as of yet. Hopefully I will get to find out soon. However with just backyard dry casting, I'm finding the Curado BFS to be quiet smooth on the casts and a few feet further on the 1/8th oz. bullet weight. The older Curado 70 still feels smoother on the retrieve. Hopefully the weather stabilizes so I can get out on my day off work. Need to play with the equipment to test it out.
Good to know!!! I can't wait to see what the results are!!!

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:53 am

I have a similar dilemma. I throw 5-9g total weight on a light bfs rod, rated 3.5-10g, 6-12lb line. I like 8lb fluoro at the least as I use it for river smallmouth. I have used an Ald 50hg and Steez sv tw + ZPI M both with 12lb fluoro for the higher end weights, and a 30mgl hg for around 5g with 20lb braid to 8lb leader. I learned I can't stand braid to fluoro for bottom contact, I like straight fluoro. Was thinking I'd get another 30mgl for straight 8lb fluoro but am definitely interested in the new Ald BFS if the right hand reels ever get stocked. Still haven't decided what reel to go with, I just know I'm going to run straight 8lb sniper.