BFS vs Normal Setup

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Bass4money
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: BFS vs Normal Setup

Post by Bass4money » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:26 pm

Mike son wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:53 am
I have a similar dilemma. I throw 5-9g total weight on a light bfs rod, rated 3.5-10g, 6-12lb line. I like 8lb fluoro at the least as I use it for river smallmouth. I have used an Ald 50hg and Steez sv tw + ZPI M both with 12lb fluoro for the higher end weights, and a 30mgl hg for around 5g with 20lb braid to 8lb leader. I learned I can't stand braid to fluoro for bottom contact, I like straight fluoro. Was thinking I'd get another 30mgl for straight 8lb fluoro but am definitely interested in the new Ald BFS if the right hand reels ever get stocked. Still haven't decided what reel to go with, I just know I'm going to run straight 8lb sniper.
I cannot stand braid to fluoro as well, I've had a couple times where it broke off on the connection and I don't want to have that as an issue...... Both the alde and SLX bfs LH is out where I'm looking at too........

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun May 01, 2022 6:54 am

In my use I have never had issue in braid to FC connection knot when using double uni, or FG knot (after learning to do it right). It's possible that braid to FC connection knot is a little bit weaker than knots in straight fluoro or braid, but in my use Braid to fluoro connection knot has never actually failed when correctly tied.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun May 01, 2022 12:22 pm

I use the ultra simple surgeons knot to connect my braid to flouro.

It works for 30lbs King Salmon, it works for those little green and brown fish as well.
1-2%

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:43 pm

Mike son wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:53 am
I have a similar dilemma. I throw 5-9g total weight on a light bfs rod, rated 3.5-10g, 6-12lb line. I like 8lb fluoro at the least as I use it for river smallmouth. I have used an Ald 50hg and Steez sv tw + ZPI M both with 12lb fluoro for the higher end weights, and a 30mgl hg for around 5g with 20lb braid to 8lb leader. I learned I can't stand braid to fluoro for bottom contact, I like straight fluoro. Was thinking I'd get another 30mgl for straight 8lb fluoro but am definitely interested in the new Ald BFS if the right hand reels ever get stocked. Still haven't decided what reel to go with, I just know I'm going to run straight 8lb sniper.
This is exactly where I’m at. I’ve discovered that the ZPI NRC001 M spool is my favorite “power BFS” to date. In my ‘19 Morethan it is a casting machine down to 4 grams. I want to try the ZPI M in the Zillion that’s on the way. Truth is that the ZPI M spool covers 90% of what I need for River smallmouth fishing. I’ve been running 15# braid to a 10# Fluoro leader with great results.