BFS Casting Reel - Your Line Choice

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS Casting Reel - Your Line Choice

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:38 pm

kevinkunkle wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:15 pm
I use Varivas Super Trout Advanced Sight Edition 4 pound test.
Good stuff. It is great for low light creeks I fish. A lot of my creeks are in cedar swamps so, it gets dark pretty quick
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:13 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:38 pm
kevinkunkle wrote:
Good stuff. It is great for low light creeks I fish. A lot of my creeks are in cedar swamps so, it gets dark pretty quick
Varivas really caters to the enthusiast with all of the lines in the Super Trout Advance series of line. I would like to see some 5 and 6 pound for casting. Our Eastern Sierra creeks have a lot of sunny pools and non-wooded areas that the Sight Edition wouldn't be good for, but I'm sure that I could find a line from Varivas that I like. The DFG likes to put in a few big hatchery fish to keep you honest. I've had my butt handed to me a few times with 2-4 lb. test. I fished the original Varivas fluoro about two decades ago, but I haven't fished any of their lines since.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:18 am

toddmc wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:13 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
kevinkunkle wrote:
Varivas really caters to the enthusiast with all of the lines in the Super Trout Advance series of line. I would like to see some 5 and 6 pound for casting. Our Eastern Sierra creeks have a lot of sunny pools and non-wooded areas that the Sight Edition wouldn't be good for, but I'm sure that I could find a line from Varivas that I like. The DFG likes to put in a few big hatchery fish to keep you honest. I've had my butt handed to me a few times with 2-4 lb. test. I fished the original Varivas fluoro about two decades ago, but I haven't fished any of their lines since.
They have a normal clear version in the Super Trout Advance Series as well as a pretty low visibility Twitch Master (yellow/champagne) that blends pretty nice into the water.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:14 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:18 am
toddmc wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
kevinkunkle wrote:
They have a normal clear version in the Super Trout Advance Series as well as a pretty low visibility Twitch Master (yellow/champagne) that blends pretty nice into the water.
Yes. I like the clear in 5 lb. I may give it a go on my next Plat order.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:26 am

toddmc wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:14 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
toddmc wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
kevinkunkle wrote:
They sell it in the US.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:21 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:26 am
toddmc wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:14 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
toddmc wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

They sell it in the US.
That is cool. I need to do a Plat order soon also. The local shop sells their fluoro.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:57 am

I’m keeping it simple for everything with a shallow spool: PE0.8, doesn’t really matter if it’s seaguar r18 or simple berkley x9 + 3 arm spans of leader line connected via FG, material depending on the situation. Low stretch mono for trout or topwater, FC for everything else.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Tue May 31, 2022 7:24 pm

#0.6 PE(10#) to a 6# Tatsu FC leader when targeting bass when I need low stretch/clear connection for a solid hook set on a Light power rod.

#0.4 PE(7#) to a short 5# mono for long distance BFS(2-4 gram baits) perch in the river.

The advantage of thin, light braid is enormous in this application…1) longer casts 2) less wind and water resistance(when you have only 3 grams of bait and 25 meters of thick line catching a cross breeze your bait is def not sinking…not to mention the current) 3) more sensitivity and fewer late hooksets…partially due also to the former reasons

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Tue May 31, 2022 7:37 pm

I really like mono for most BFS applications though…really for anything other than the two scenarios I mentioned above. I’ve caught and landed some absolute units with 3# mono and with 5# mono. The stretchiness, abrasion resistance, and knot strength make it very resistant to break offs. I’ve had good success with ultra light BFS lures(1-2 grams) with 2 and 3 pound mono in smaller creeks and rivers. The durability, toughness, and simplicity of monofilament is hard to beat for most situations, IMO.

I really wish that I knew for certain that Fluorocarbon actually is less visible to fish than mono. Mono handily trumps FC in almost every category except apparentl visibility. Maybe stretch and sink rate, also?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:16 am

Freddie wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:37 pm
I really like mono for most BFS applications though…really for anything other than the two scenarios I mentioned above. I’ve caught and landed some absolute units with 3# mono and with 5# mono. The stretchiness, abrasion resistance, and knot strength make it very resistant to break offs. I’ve had good success with ultra light BFS lures(1-2 grams) with 2 and 3 pound mono in smaller creeks and rivers. The durability, toughness, and simplicity of monofilament is hard to beat for most situations, IMO.

I really wish that I knew for certain that Fluorocarbon actually is less visible to fish than mono. Mono handily trumps FC in almost every category except apparentl visibility. Maybe stretch and sink rate, also?
It's a solid 4% closer to the refractive index of water than nylon. Do what you will with that.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:36 am

Freddie wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 7:37 pm

For trout fishing, I like the added stretch of mono. I feel it helps with hookup and also have less fish shake off.