Why Magnetic Braking System Than Centrifugal Braking On BFS reel?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Ghost
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Death Valley, CA 90210-->Now via Indiana

Why Magnetic Braking System Than Centrifugal Braking On BFS reel?

Post by Ghost » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:16 pm

I've noticed that its magnetic braking from Shimano, Daiwa and Abu Garcia; even Kasking is using magnetic than centrifugal. Why is that?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Why Magnetic Braking System Than Centrifugal Braking On BFS reel?

Post by SSS » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:57 pm

Shimano does it probably to keep the spool as light as possible. KastKing does it because they saw others do it. A brand that is lost and doesn't know wtf they're doing whatsoever.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:35 pm

In short, magnetic brakes work a little better for BFS lures.

Abu, KastKing and such have a very simple magnetic braking system. Those types of brakes give consistent and easy braking. The issue is that they are static and beside the speed of the spool (magnetic flux), the braking is pretty stagnant. This requires the casting motion to be smooth. The brakes also don't react well to variables without adjusting the dial. The brake system being relatively static causes the user to adjust the brakes to the fastest part of the cast (usually the beginning). These brakes can also provide too much braking at the tail end of the cast, resulting in reduced distance.

Daiwa's AIR brake is more dynamic and adapts better to change due to the braking system (rotor part attached to the spool). The braking system being pushed more into the magnetic rings in the sideplate causes more braking force to be applied. This helps the beginning of the cast (highest RPM). As spool speed decreases, the rotor retracts, moving away from the magnetic rings. This allows the lure to travel further because less braking is applied to the tail end of the cast, where less braking is needed. The dynamic movement of the brakes also help with wind and such. Although different, Shimano's FTB braking system acts very similar...even though the brakes work different. The FTB system does eliminate the braking system being on the spool at all, giving the spool the lightest weight possible.

Centrifugal brakes CAN be good for BFS. I like them for s all crankbaits and such. The same principle of centrifugal force as Daiwa brakes applies but, uses friction from brake shoes instead of magnetic force. This system is great for the start of the cast and also for dense/aerodynamic lures that lose speed slower and less affected by wind. The casting can be pretty flat and effortless. That friction centrifugal force can really kill the moment of a light BFS spool. Heavier lures and spools work really well with that system and can attribute to some long casting, especially if you know how to use your thumb as a brake. The faster rate BFS lures slow down due to light weight and wind also can cause issues when casting. This is why Shimano went to the FTB braking system.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Ghost
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Death Valley, CA 90210-->Now via Indiana

Post by Ghost » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:53 pm

Hobie-Wan, wow that was interesting reading. I feel I've gotten just that much smarter about baitcast reels. Great explanation!

I was thinking of getting a shallow BFS spool for my Shimano Curado 51E. I found out that the 09 Aldebaran spool works on my reel.

After reading about magnetic and centrifugal braking for BFS reels, I may have to hold back on getting a BFS spool for my Curado 51E.

I greatly appreciate your input!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:28 am

Ghost wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:53 pm
Hobie-Wan, wow that was interesting reading. I feel I've gotten just that much smarter about baitcast reels. Great explanation!

I was thinking of getting a shallow BFS spool for my Shimano Curado 51E. I found out that the 09 Aldebaran spool works on my reel.

After reading about magnetic and centrifugal braking for BFS reels, I may have to hold back on getting a BFS spool for my Curado 51E.

I greatly appreciate your input!
No problem. I do like the way centrifugal casts for compact baits
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:33 am

Magnets are just easier. You can fine tune them with a click of the exterior dial. I don't own any newer centrifugal reels, but they can be hard to get dialed in just the way that you want for a change in weight. No thank you!