JDM line recommendation for UL trout fishing

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
fezken
Angler
Angler

JDM line recommendation for UL trout fishing

Post by fezken » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:13 am

Hello.

I'm looking for some recommended fishing line for my new JDM setup . My initial though was to go with a similar setup I'm fishing with right now, but I can be swayed. Currently fishing with braid + FC leader.

Assuming I'm going down the same route, I would be looking for some braid and fc leader material to go with a (S)UL rod. The manufacturer recommend 0.15-0.3 for PE and a 1.5-5 LB rating. Unsure what would be optimal setup. It will be spooled on a Daiwa Exist LT FC 2500S-C .

Thanks

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: JDM line recommendation for UL trout fishing

Post by Allsorts » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:35 am

A lot depends on what lures you will be using under what conditions. Using spoons in stillwater, FC is great but maximum 3lb on that rod. Braid can be combined with a long leader, giving the best of both worlds.
One issue may be that the spool capacity is very big so you'll need to fill it with something else. Ideal reel size for that rod is 1000-2000 but Exist is so light that balance won't be an issue. Reel handle length is also quite important - long handles can feel too long for some applications - area reels usually have shorter handles as these are best for slow, straight retrieves. Longer handles are better for high speed or jigging-type retrieves.

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:44 pm

Yeah, I will probably use some cheap mono as backing for the braid, to ensure optimal fillevel on the spool. I will be going for braid + FC leader on this reel setup. Are there any manufacturers you can recommend for both braid and fc ? Fishing line available here in Norway is pretty accurate in terms of #, but I'd rather get it from Japan

Thanks

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:05 pm

For braid, I use Varivas Super Trout Advance, for FC Sunline, Seaguar or Maxima clear FC (more easily available and very good IMO). FC fly fishing tippet is another good option - do like the French do and work on diameter rather than breaking strain. For the rod mentioned, something like .16 - .18mm would be my guess. This is much less confusing, as long as you are buying good quality lines, the strength v diameter variations are not that extreme. FC is either 'pure' FC, quite stiff, hard (ideal for leaders where abrasion is possible) - Maxima clear FC is an example, or FC plus other polymers to make it softer, usually done for lines sold in bigger spools to be used as a casting line - Sunline BMS, Seaguar Tatsu etc. Personally for leaders, I prefer harder FC and softer FC for reel lines.

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:30 am

Thanks !Was hoping to get it from digitaka, but it looks like I'll have to go on ebay. Oh, well.

What dimention braid would you recommend when using the FC leader? As thin as possible? Like the 0.3.

Edit:

Are the stiffer FC lines the ones under the leader category?

piscamaniac
Angler
Angler

Post by piscamaniac » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:59 pm

Gosen cast 4 and tiny pe aji are both awsome lines and crazy thin. Cast 4 has more body.

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:19 pm

Gosen cast 4 and tiny pe aji are both awsome lines and crazy thin. Cast 4 has more body.
Thanks, will look into them aswell.

Do you have any recommendation for dimentions on the braid when using a shock leader? I guess as thin as possible for longer casts with the light lures?

Thinking maybe 0.2 or 0.3 with some .16mm FC. Never used such thin lines before.

Hoping to order it tomorrow

Thanks

piscamaniac
Angler
Angler

Post by piscamaniac » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:53 am

Certain ring sizes and ringing systems are very sensitive to line diameter, it can be like using a different rod if you get the diameter wrong; i'd follow the manufacturers recommendation, that's why I recommended those two gosen lines that come in pe 0.3 and less. You have a reel with great line lay and the smaller rings will help tame the thinner line, that will help minimise any problems, I'd go for the gosen cast 4 which is stiffer.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:05 pm

Agree 100% with piscamaniac - also look at Sunline Small Game, I use the PE 0.4, PE 0.3 would also be excellent. You might struggle with an FG knot with such thin braid, an option is to use an Albright but instead of doubling the FC, you create a loop in it with a figure of 8 knot and put the braid through the loop and wrap in adjacent turns up 10-12 times, do a half hitch, snug it down (not too hard) and wrap back down through the loop. Tighten the figure 8 and then tighten the braid and finish like you would an FG.

See this video, starts with a picture of the knot tying steps and then a demo - hope your Russian is up to scratch!
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T3QQE6wn_o[url]

fezken
Angler
Angler

Post by fezken » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:57 pm

Thanks a lot guys. The gosen braid is in stock at digitaka, so will probably go for that for now. I will see if I go for soft FC or not. Spools with leader are so small. I like to re-tie pretty often. Usually use a rod length worth of leader. I will see what I can find. .16mm(4lb) is apparantly #1 in FC classification, and they (forutnately for me) don't seem to be too popular, so I can get it at digitaka. Looks like a lot of folks are buying 2 and 3 lb FC. Wonder if I should downsize aswell.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:23 pm

fezken wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:57 pm
Thanks a lot guys. The gosen braid is in stock at digitaka, so will probably go for that for now. I will see if I go for soft FC or not. Spools with leader are so small. I like to re-tie pretty often. Usually use a rod length worth of leader. I will see what I can find. .16mm(4lb) is apparantly #1 in FC classification, and they (forutnately for me) don't seem to be too popular, so I can get it at digitaka. Looks like a lot of folks are buying 2 and 3 lb FC. Wonder if I should downsize aswell.
I use 3# test Sunline FC Sniper BMS when targeting bigger fish. It can handle 20 inch smallmouth with no problems. I would use clear FC but I can’t see it.

Regards

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 am

Alphahawk wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:23 pm
fezken wrote:
I use 3# test Sunline FC Sniper BMS when targeting bigger fish. It can handle 20 inch smallmouth with no problems. I would use clear FC but I can’t see it.

Regards
Hi Alphahawk, didn't realise you have been using FC, keen to hear your thoughts on FC against esther lines?

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:38 pm

Allsorts wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 am
Alphahawk wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:23 pm
fezken wrote:

Regards
Hi Alphahawk, didn't realise you have been using FC, keen to hear your thoughts on FC against esther lines?
I really like it when fishing deep using baits such as the Ecogear ZX30. As you know it is more sensitive than the nylon and sure causes less stress than hooking up with a larger fish using the ester......LOL. I love the ester line but it will pop in a heart beat if drag is not perfect.....rod length and action is not matched to the target at hand. The BMS line is holding up well and I can cast 3 grams well with it. But dropping down to 1.5 gram casting is not the best. I think when I need new FC line I will drop down to the 2# test. You gave me my first FC line suggestion about 8 years back I think it was. Good to see your posts again.

Regards

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:46 am

Thanks for the update! I've used FC down to 3lb on a 6'1" Corto and agree that lighter than 2g heads is tricky unless you are fishing shallow and in perfect conditions. Don't post much at the moment because I'm mostly fishing rocky sea shore for wrasse, which are filthy fighters. I recently got dusted on 20lb braid and 18lb FC leader. Took the Corto and a new Exist out for a walk recently and after about 4 casts got buried and broken by a wrasse no bigger than a decent sunfish. Fished the 3lb FC for small wild trout recently, really good with spoons and Smith AR-S spinners, I see why it's popular for area fishing.

Siggywiggy
Angler
Angler

Post by Siggywiggy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:35 am

I was looking in to JDM braids aswell for trout fishing and decided to go for Daiwa Morethan 12 carrier in 0,08mm from a local supplier. Its extremely expencive as in 60€ for a 150m but Im more then pleased with it so far and I think still cheaper then JDM with shipping fees. Very very round profile so casts like a dream, incredibly abrasion resistant in the rapids and logjams I usually fish at and the FG knots to fluro leaders hold really really well. Im usually running 0,17mm fluro or 0,15mm leaders and with a cheaper abrasion resistant braid like Fireline Ultra 8 I would get unsightly abrasions on my mainline even when running 2+m of fluro leaders leading to cutting the braid shorter and ending up with less and less line on the spool in turn reducing casting distance.