Looking for a couple of new JDM rods for trout

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
legenden
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Looking for a couple of new JDM rods for trout

Post by legenden » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:20 pm

Hello

Looking to purchase two new rods for trout fishing.
I would really like to get some ultralight jdm rods, but I'm pretty lost as to what actually suits my style of fishing.

My choice of lures are usually either minnows, jerkbaits, spoons , spinners or small jigs. Occasionally I will fish with live nightcrawlers as bait, when fish are not biting. I mainly fish with braid, and will use as thin braid as I can get away with. I am open to try out new lines aswell, if anyone have any recommendations.

I am looking for one rod to use in lakes, where I would like some distance to my casts. I would like the rod to be between 7 - 9 ft long, and be able to handle lure weights from 0.5 grams to 5 - 7 grams.

The trout in the lake have an average weight of 300 grams, but 2 - 3 kg trout can happen.

I am also looking for another rod to be used in rivers and streams. Around 6ft give or take. Lure weights from 0.5 grams to 5 - 7 grams.
I don't mind if there is a rod with the capabilities of handling current + have the abilities of a typical lake rod, as some rivers are quite wide, and are fished almost like in a lake. But I do want one longer and one smaller rod as my first jdm rods.

Any recommendations are appreciated

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Looking for a couple of new JDM rods for trout

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:52 pm

I'll leave this one to the UL guys here, but I will say welcome to the forum!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Looking for a couple of new JDM rods for trout

Post by ftl1951 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:07 pm

Highly recommend Tenryu Rayz rods for trout fishing with plugs and spinners. Extremely well made and fun for trout that range from small to the occasional toad. If you’re looking for value and still getting a great rod made for the JDM, Major Craft Finetail rods are truly remarkable for their price. Generally, JDM rods made for fishing streams are built differently than those designed to fish “area” ponds/Lakes. “area” rods are normally a bit softer with a lot of parabolic actions. Stream rods are a bit more stiff to handle moving water and the fish who tend to use current while battling the angler.

There are unimaginable choices for JDM ultra light rods and equipment. You will find out quickly the Japanese design rods for very specific types/styles of fishing. While some crossover from species to species does exist, I believe the whole reason for their designs is to enhance the fishing experience for each targeted fish. You may already be watching YouTube videos, but that is a really good place to find a lot of information as well as seeing many of the different models in use. No matter your choice, I am confident you will enjoy the rods made for the JDM as you move forward. Good luck.