Braid

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Braid

Post by prybis » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:40 am

Wanting to try some braided line with my 16 Aldebaran. Wanted to know the best way to attach it to the reel. Always heard you need to start with mono than the braid. With it being a shallow spool what is the way you attach braided line? Thanks in advance.
Mike P.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Braid

Post by Cal » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:48 am

The reasoning behind beginning with mono is to prevent the braid from slipping on the spool when you're fighting a fish thus negating your drag and ability to pick up any line. It's the phantom drag issue. Trouble is, with shallow spools, you only have so much room. Another strategy to help with this is to simply wrap the spool with a layer of electrical tape. Then you can just go straight braid and not worry about the connection knot.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:20 am

How about starting by passing the braid through a couple of the ported holes in the spool to prevent slip? I hate using backing because the backing to braid knot always interferes with casting on shallow spools.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:13 am

Knotty wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:20 am
I hate using backing because the backing to braid knot always interferes with casting on shallow spools.
Same... I also find tying that knot ever so tedious.. probably because I don't have much confidence in them either. :roll:

If the spool is ported, putting the line through a hole and tying off there is always an option, I suppose, but electrical tape is pretty simple. To me, it feels as though I might damage the spool somehow using the ports in that manner - but that's just me.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:22 pm

Doing some research, I found a new way. Here is the video.

Mike P.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:45 pm

I just use electrical tape and just tie the braid on directly and haven't had any slippage issues.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:53 am

prybis wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:22 pm
Doing some research, I found a new way. Here is the video.

I've used the half hitch method Chad shows in the video. It works well but you need to be careful that each half hitch is oriented correctly. I also found that with very light braids on BFS it requires more half hitches than he shows. Still a good method.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:34 pm

I do use mono as a joiner to the spool, but it's hardly ever more than 10 feet before it splices to braid.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:53 pm

Knotty wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:20 am
How about starting by passing the braid through a couple of the ported holes in the spool to prevent slip? I hate using backing because the backing to braid knot always interferes with casting on shallow spools.
Often times the ported spool has a sharp edge. I've had line cut off doing that.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish