Short BFS rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Short BFS rod

Post by Knotty » Sat May 30, 2020 6:36 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:23 pm
This definitely turned into a great discussion. I would like an Ajing casing rod. It sounds sort of similar to my UL solid tip trickster but more forgiving overall taper. The solid tip on my Trickster is actually fairly stiff compared to the Lurekiller solid tip.
I’ve got a Tsurinoya Dexterity C632UL .6-8 g ajing baitcast. It weighs 80 g. Would you like me to take pic of the bend like I did for the telescopic?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 30, 2020 9:51 pm

Knotty wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:36 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:23 pm
This definitely turned into a great discussion. I would like an Ajing casing rod. It sounds sort of similar to my UL solid tip trickster but more forgiving overall taper. The solid tip on my Trickster is actually fairly stiff compared to the Lurekiller solid tip.
I’ve got a Tsurinoya Dexterity C632UL .6-8 g ajing baitcast. It weighs 80 g. Would you like me to take pic of the bend like I did for the telescopic?
Sure

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun May 31, 2020 4:16 am

Knotty wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:22 pm
My shortest BFS rod is 5' but I'd like something closer to 4'. In tight quarters I'd like to be able to make underhand casts.
Maybe I must try to learn underhand cast. But so far I have used 'Shooting cast' which can be performed aven though the bush (line must be tough because something 25% of casts success..) Shooting cast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfrclLY5jzo&t=16s
Can't be casted long this way either.

Rod is Kuying Teton SUL, which is good for casts like this.

Btv, I just found article of BFS. In my opinion very good article:
https://fishingdiscoveries.com/bait-fin ... 703b7f8188
Including links to BFS fishing videos. Those guys are really skilled (Japanese 'swordsmans').

Anybody has idea what kind of rod TSURINOYA Trout Master / Master Trout / Fishing Rod MASTER Ⅲ 1.4m is? Sayed that it is MF UL, but I didn't find bending any curve, which those Aliexpress sellers usually provide.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sun May 31, 2020 7:14 am

Nice video!
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:43 am

Acc. to available information (reviews, videos, bending pictures and specification) Ares is solid performer and I would like to buy it:
Trout Ares.JPG
Trout Ares.JPG (38.22 KiB) Viewed 8953 times
Trout Ares specification.JPG
Trout Ares specification.JPG (25.23 KiB) Viewed 8953 times
But I'm still thinking would Trout Master be much finer rod, and might be even better. But I'm wondering could it be just horrible to cast lures of BFS weights (below 6 g). How much stiffer it really might are than Ares? Would there needed a Japanese swordsman to master it? :lol:
Trout Master.JPG
Trout Master.JPG (97.7 KiB) Viewed 8953 times
Trout Master specification.JPG
Trout Master specification.JPG (21.2 KiB) Viewed 8953 times

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun May 31, 2020 9:44 am

Here's the taper of the Tsurinoya Dexterity ajing rod. The last 4 sections of the tip are solid and because they're white they're difficult to see in the pic. If you look close you'll notice that the tip section bends way back around. Much more than the telescopic rod of similar length I showed earlier. You can also see how the rod stiffens shortly after you get past the solid sections.

It's that super light tip that makes it capable of casting very light weights but IMHO makes it more difficult to cast with fine accuracy once you get to maybe 4 g.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun May 31, 2020 10:01 am

jvelth74, thanks for the links to the BFS videos.

Regarding the two rods you show, as always it's hard to know without handling them. Too bad more rod options aren't available in the stores of Europe and the US.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun May 31, 2020 10:18 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFLL9HFAw7c In this video he uses interesting rod. Might be glass fiber? [Techno music in this video is awful in my opinion.]

Looking that video made me once again to think should I use my Lamiglas FL904 for 140 cm BFS rod. But looking at this made me another toughs: https://www.mudhole.com/FL904 $209 :shock: I think I paid for it maybe $100 for ten years ago.
Last edited by jvelth74 on Sun May 31, 2020 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun May 31, 2020 10:28 am

Knotty wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:44 am
Here's the taper of the Tsurinoya Dexterity ajing rod. The last 4 sections of the tip are solid and because they're white they're difficult to see in the pic. If you look close you'll notice that the tip section bends way back around. Much more than the telescopic rod of similar length I showed earlier. You can also see how the rod stiffens shortly after you get past the solid sections.

It's that super light tip that makes it capable of casting very light weights but IMHO makes it more difficult to cast with fine accuracy once you get to maybe 4 g.

Thanks for sharing. That looks like a solid tip BFS stick for a budge price. I payed a pretty penny to get a similar combination of rigid backbone and UL solid carbon tip with my Trickster.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun May 31, 2020 10:55 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:28 am
]

Thanks for sharing. That looks like a solid tip BFS stick for a budge price. I payed a pretty penny to get a similar combination of rigid backbone and UL solid carbon tip with my Trickster.
In some ways I guess it is. I have fought many bass with my ajing rods.

I’m even rethinking the casting accuracy thing. I went to the yard and test cast 4 g and it went much better than expected. I’m wondering if it can be used with light weights much the way Angler Saito uses his glass (?) rods with 1/4 oz lures? With just 4 g I could get a very deep bend in the tip. More experimenting is needed and there’s still the issue of it being kind of long at 6’3”.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:47 am

Kyuing Ajing is in the limit that it is uncomfortable to cast. If first cast with Teton's (which are really soft and therefore really comfortable in short casts in correct weight) then right after Ajing feels really unconfortable. But length of rod (for a light rod) makes Ajing still nearly trouble free. I don't like too 'fast' (only tip bends) rods, I have 1 'extremely fast perch rod' - yeah, it is really that. But it works with perch. Slightly heavier lures can be cast. And really soft top don't allow perch to escape. But this Kuying Ajing is ok. If rod is really fast, in my opinion, it makes rod tip feels like being from different rod. And short really fast rods are, in my opinion, uncomfortable to cast.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:03 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:47 am
Kyuing Ajing is in the limit that it is uncomfortable to cast. If first cast with Teton's (which are really soft and therefore really comfortable in short casts in correct weight) then right after Ajing feels really unconfortable. But length of rod (for a light rod) makes Ajing still nearly trouble free. I don't like too 'fast' (only tip bends) rods, I have 1 'extremely fast perch rod' - yeah, it is really that. But it works with perch. Slightly heavier lures can be cast. And really soft top don't allow perch to escape. But this Kuying Ajing is ok. If rod is really fast, in my opinion, it makes rod tip feels like being from different rod. And short really fast rods are, in my opinion, uncomfortable to cast.
Was on a lake in my boat casting a Ned rig (total weight about 5-6 g) at the bank with the Tsurinoya Dexterity Ajing, and it brought me back to my original opinion that ajing rods are difficult to cast accurately. Real world casting proves things out much better than the backyard testing I did the other day.

I have to agree with your statement about the rod tip feeling so different than the rest of the rod. We just don't seem to have the proper language for describing rods. Many fishermen love extra fast rods but the extra fast of an ajing rod is totally different than what you might expect from other XF rods. You go from a very, very light but fast tip quickly to a stiff but section. Ajing rods cast light lures well but even then I don't think they're about accuracy. Makes sense when you consider that in Japan they are used in salt water to catch aji (horse mackerel), which requires a small lure and great sensitivity. Doubt ajing rods ever show up on rivers in Japan. I'm not down on ajing rods, I love them, just back to recognizing what they do well what they don't. For me it mostly means targeting panfish.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:54 pm

Knotty wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:01 am
Regarding the two rods you show, as always it's hard to know without handling them. Too bad more rod options aren't available in the stores of Europe and the US.
That's true. But now Tsurinoya Store has put video to Youtube of TSURINOYA MASTER UL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCIo0hJT0TU
And because of that I sent question for them how action of Master relates to Ares. If they would make video of bending Master or casting it.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:58 am

I have had the Ares for years...before it even had a model name hahahaha.

I absolutely love it for streams. It can handle 1gr lures with ease. The loading is more predictable/natural than a blank with just a solid tip. That is because from the reel seat to the tip is solid carbon so, no transition from solid to tubular graphite.

The rod is surprisingly tough too. I have boat flipped many nice panfish and also small bass. Caught many 30+in pike with it too. The Ares is accurate and handles 4in trout up to 12in trout fine. It can handle bigger fish too but, if I were getting into 15in trout regularly in streams, I would go with a rod with a little more backbone.

It is pretty sensitive too. I have used it with 3lb braid for panfish and...you feel every nibble. I have used FC with it too and, I cant say it lacks in sensitivity.

The handle length is great and I have never ran into issues with the butt hitting my wrist or catching on my sleeve as some other short BFS rods can do.

I think I have turned many people onto this rod. I would say I have answered 50-60 inquiries about this rod through here, Instagram and YouTube. It is THE rod for small creeks or, if you like the UL fight to the extreme.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:55 pm

Mavn wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:19 pm
Not much cheaper than the Major Craft Finetail, but a 3'11" rod.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000860 ... 7565%23770
My brother bought that Cloudy Stream C311UL. Hi said that hi is fully satisfied for that short rod. Hi casted actually long with that. He said that it needs different type of casting, really whipping, and also use of length of hand (if distance is needed). Action of rod with fish was OK. Biggest hi catch was 545 g Perch. Rod seems trout action, but still it seems stiff to me for trout. But it worked good casting for size 1 spinners. I tried shortly that rod. It clearly needs different type of casting. I couldn’t cast long for these 3 casts. Craftmanship of rod seems good.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:58 am
I think I have turned many people onto this rod. I would say I have answered 50-60 inquiries about this rod through here, Instagram and YouTube. It is THE rod for small creeks or, if you like the UL fight to the extreme.
Thanks for reply! Yep, you have turned me also to Ares, and yes, lightest baitcasting fishing is very nice hobby! But still I’m in the middle of should I bought Ares or Master, and I try to clear out this :-) I’m thinking if I buy Ares, would I still think I should bought Master. And if I’m going to buy Master, would that be too backbone and too tricky for lightest lures and smallest streams.