Finezza Prototype Nuovo S.T. limited

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Finezza Prototype Nuovo S.T. limited

Post by setsail26 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:02 am

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these rods. I was looking at the 6'10" to be used with something like 3-4 lb jdm braid. I've seen a lot about the other Finezza models, but not this one. Also open to other suggestions of a 6'6" to 7' jdm ultralight for 1/32 oz jigs with light braid to leader. Mostly for fishing bluegill and crappie. Thanks for any help.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Finezza Prototype Nuovo S.T. limited

Post by Knotty » Mon May 11, 2020 6:05 pm

Sorry, don't know that rod but wondering if you could describe your fishing situation in more detail? Are you trying to get long casting distance with the light braid and reasonably long rods?

I mostly fish for gills and crappie using Trout Magnets and Crappie Sliders. I'll sometimes use braid and leader when fishing shallow but anything deeper than maybe 5 or 6 feet I find the bouancy of the braid works against you with 1/32 oz jigs. Prefer 2# ester or flouro for that. Also my rod of choice for that type of fishing is the Major Craft 6'3" Finetail Area Stage. So glad alphahawk turned me on to that rod. It's like a magic wand and under $200. Not what you asked but hopefully it's still useful info.

setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by setsail26 » Tue May 12, 2020 5:27 pm

Thanks for the info. Yes, basically trying to get decent casting distance with a longish rod, but at 1/32nd oz I suspect going too long with the rod won't help. All my spinning rods have braid to leader right now as I find that easier to manage, but I have done light fluoro and may sometime try ester. I will certainly look into the Major craft you suggested. I've looked at area trout rods, it's just really hard to tell from a description how they might fish. Sounds like the Finetail fishes just right for you for the technique I am looking at. That's very helpful. and I appreciate it.

Trout Bloke
Angler
Angler

Post by Trout Bloke » Tue May 12, 2020 10:28 pm

Have you considered one of the Light Game Ajing rods from Olympic Graphite Leader? (Corto Series) I recently purchased the Olympic Corto Nuovo Prototype GNCPS-6102L-HS for casting light jigs using 2-3lb nylon (mono). The rod (6'10") is very light and super super sensitive designed for casting light jigs. I prefer a rod at least 6'9 due to longer leaders and powering larger fish.

The small braids are too easily frayed in the rivers I fish and I've seen what discarded or broken off braid can do to wildlife so I stick to mono with FC leaders mostly. I do occasionally use braid for float fishing.

setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by setsail26 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:18 am

I have looked at the Corto. I had a couple concerns. One is that I gather that Ajing rods are a bit stiff and may not be great for fish like crappies, especially with braid. The other is that the Corto models I have looked at are not rated for braid. Maybe I am holding on the this braid thing too tight and should just use mono or fluro.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:36 pm

Don’t know your fishing techniques, but if you are trying to get down to the bottom for bluegill or crappie, you should use a line that has a density that allows it to sink, especially with ultralight jigs. Braid (conventional) will float and cause a bow in the line with micro jigs. Fluorocarbon sinks and is excellent to get the jigs to the bottom. The new hybrid fluorbraid from spiderwire sinks so it would give you a straight line presentation with the micro jigs. The best in my opinion would be ester line. Density is such that it allows a progressive sink with the jig heads and is super sensitive. If you use mono, there’s a few that have a higher density and are suited for fishing deep. I guess it is all about how you want to present the offerings to the fish...
BTW Alphahawk is the Crappie/Bluegill expert using trout magnets. He has some good videos (TroutMagnetMan) on fishing lines.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat May 16, 2020 5:45 am

setsail26 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:02 am
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these rods. I was looking at the 6'10" to be used with something like 3-4 lb jdm braid. I've seen a lot about the other Finezza models, but not this one. Also open to other suggestions of a 6'6" to 7' jdm ultralight for 1/32 oz jigs with light braid to leader. Mostly for fishing bluegill and crappie. Thanks for any help.
I have the 17 Finezza Prototype and while it is a great rod and can detect the softest bites from crappie and bluegill it is really over kill for those specie. You can have fun using it for those fish but there are rods that will give you a lot more fun factor that are just as sensitive. I am almost certain the 15 Prototype Nuovo ST will fish very similar. The Tict Rockin' Finesse would be a great rod for those 2 specie. The Rockin' Finesse is probably the best rod out there for detecting the softest crappie bite....and gives you a lot of fun with those fish. The only rod I have seen that is better for crappie is the Tict Rockin' Drift but it is no longer made. The TenRyu Lunakia would make a great rod for crappie and bluegill also.....and it is an absolutely beautiful rod...made in Japan. There are others I could recommend....just depends on you budget.

Regards

setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by setsail26 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:20 am

Thanks for your input Alphahawk. Your posts here and on crappie.com are what got me interested in trying some JDM ultralights. The Lunakia and Tict models are high on my list. Thoughts on tubular vs solid tips? I know the rocking drift (still on the auction site) and rockin finesse are solid tip. The shorter lunakia is solid tip and the longer is tubular I think. I've also looked at area trout rods. Would that be a better option for panfish vs a mebaru rod? I know at of that is subjective, and the real answer is of course to get several of each. I'm fine with the $400ish price range, probably don't want to go much more than that. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sun May 17, 2020 1:16 pm

setsail26 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:20 am
Thanks for your input Alphahawk. Your posts here and on crappie.com are what got me interested in trying some JDM ultralights. The Lunakia and Tict models are high on my list. Thoughts on tubular vs solid tips? I know the rocking drift (still on the auction site) and rockin finesse are solid tip. The shorter lunakia is solid tip and the longer is tubular I think. I've also looked at area trout rods. Would that be a better option for panfish vs a mebaru rod? I know at of that is subjective, and the real answer is of course to get several of each. I'm fine with the $400ish price range, probably don't want to go much more than that. Thanks again for everyone's help.
I am huge fan of area trout rods for Gills and crappie. I have 3...2 Banshees and a Palms Egeria. I had bought an XUL Daiwa Presso Limited AGS XUL but it sat at the airport so long in Japan ebay refunded my money. Was really bummed about that as I got it for 286 dollars.....I'll never get a deal like that again. The key on area trout rods is to get a high end one....light as possible for the sensitivity factor. The Palms is a lot of fun but it is not a high end rod and suffers in the sensitivity department. The Banshee rods...which are out of production.....really shine for money paid. I have my eye on the Super Bellezza but can't find a shop that has them in stock and if I could I'm not sure when EMS mail will resume again. On top of that Global Rakuten are closing their doors 1 June and they were a great source for Graphiteleader rods. So I am looking and researching other area trout rods. As to solid vs tubular. The tubular will be more versatile for sure...and may have a slight edge on sensitivity. But, I have talked about this before.....when we get into the high end ajing.....mebaru.....area trout rods....one can be splitting hairs on sensitivity with them.

Regards

setsail26
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by setsail26 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:47 am

I ordered a Major Craft Crostage 6'10" UL just as something to try. I know it isn't high end, but it seems like a good value. Now to get out and use it. DHL got it to me in five days, so at least that is working. I think I may get a Lunakia as the next one. I've looked at area trout rods, but outside the Bellezza haven't found one that really looks good. Some high end Shimano rods look good on paper, but I don't see much info about them on the forums. Don't think I will take a complete flyer on a $500 rod.