BFS Rod Recommendation

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

BFS Rod Recommendation

Post by prybis » Mon May 04, 2020 4:06 pm

With my purchase of my new reel, Aldebaran BFS XG, I will be needing a new rod for it. I love casting tiny UL baits, pushing the limits, while trying to improve my casting abilities. So far I have the Acehawk 1.8m CU Double rod. I have a few rods I was looking at getting. The first is the Acehawk 562 UL trout rod. It has the same weight as the 1.8 CU Double at .5-4g. Next is the Rosewood SUL 1.5m red at .5-8g and this is also available in a 1.68m. Then we have the KUYING Teton SUL Super Ultralight 1.56m TTC-522SUL rated at .8-3g. Next up is the KUYING Teton 5'10" 1.75m TTC-510S rated at .3-3g. Last would be to buy the same rod I already have.

I am eventually going to buy the Teton TTC-510S but not sure if I want to buy it know. I would like to try a shorter rod than what I already have. The Rosewood comes in at about 5 foot and the Acehawk comes in at 5'6". I have not seen or read any reviews on the Rosewood. Not sure if I like the cork on the Teton TTC-522 SUL. I may just go ahead and buy the Rosewood and the Acehawk since I can get both for around $50.

What rod would you buy if it where up to you? If you would purchase something else let me know. I can always save up to purchase if need be but not sure I want to spend $500 plus on super high end rods.
Mike P.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: BFS Rod Recommendation

Post by LowRange » Mon May 04, 2020 6:24 pm

Do you want a BFS rod to Trout rod? BFS rods have beefy back bones and large diameter lifting sections intended to target bass.

hzzhangc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hzzhangc » Mon May 04, 2020 7:06 pm

For less than $150 you can get pretty decent BFS rod for bass or trout.

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Tue May 05, 2020 3:10 am

I mainly fish for panfish and bass. But I do fish for trout at times. I wi be using this to cast light cranks under 3g and small jigs 1/16 ounce and lighter. Don't believe I will go above 1/8 ounce. Not sure what the difference between a bass and trout BFS rod is going to be.
Mike P.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 05, 2020 6:59 am

Every guy that I have talked to that bought an UL BFS rod for trout has been disappointed to discover that it is way too stiff for what they thought an UL was going to be. I was able to pick up my UL Volkey BFS from a member here for that very reason.

Most JDM products lines will have separate BFS and Trout rod casting lines. Take Majorcraft for example. None of their trout casting rods carry BFS markings. One thing you can always do is pick up a Kuying Teton and try that out. They are pretty cheap at around 50-60 dollars and are trout sticks. If you want more backbone go BFS. If you like the Teton and want a higher end version, well now you know.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue May 05, 2020 8:35 am

If you are after the type of rod that will cast the smallest of lures then the true bfs rods will probably be too much rod. The light and UL powered bfs sticks I've used are in their happy zone in the 2-5g range, with some a bit higher than that. I have a 6'5" UL major craft days bfs rod with my aldebaran bfs and I can get a decent cast down to 1.8g but below that accuracy falls off.

For 1g trout magnets and even a bit lighter I had a custom rod built on a 6'1" phenix mirage trout blank and I've casted down to .6g on that rod with both the aldebaran with avail spool and my alphas ct with AMO spool (5.38g with bearing). The phenix blank is a true trout blank and very soft. Spiral wrapped micro guides were a must to keep the line off the blank but it will cast the lightest lures the spool and line can handle.

With a blank as soft as the mirage tiny open hooks are the only option as there isn't enough backbone to get into any kind of hookset. For small bottom bouncing I like to use a mini t-rig with a 1/32oz bullet and 3" trout worm with a size 6 offset hook. The true bfs rods will allow me to get a hookset but the mirage doesn't have the power which is something to keep in mind.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue May 05, 2020 9:51 am

LowRange wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:59 am
Most JDM products lines will have separate BFS and Trout rod casting lines. Take Majorcraft for example. None of their trout casting rods carry BFS markings. One thing you can always do is pick up a Kuying Teton and try that out. They are pretty cheap at around 50-60 dollars and are trout sticks. If you want more backbone go BFS. If you like the Teton and want a higher end version, well now you know.
I would second this. The Tetons are very fun rods and are very very different then any UL bass rod I have laid hands on. Even if you end up wanting a BFS rod the Teton can still do some fun niche bass stuff. When I get sick of trout fishing I will tie on a tiny little popper and go to town. It's got a good taper for them and even a two pound bass is exciting as hell on such a noodely little rod. A wacky rigged 3" trout worm with a tiny little split shot crimped above the hook is also a fun use for it and has caught me a bunch of little river smallies.

prybis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by prybis » Wed May 06, 2020 3:26 pm

Well, I ended up ordering 2 different rods from Aliexpress. Both rods are made by Tsurinoya. The first is the Dexterity, 1.89m C632UL rated for .6-8g. The other rod I believe is the Ares, 1.4m C472UL rated for 1-6g. I believe these will match what I am looking for. Come to find out I am really looking for an UL casting rod and not a BFS rod. These will be fun to put to the test and I am looking forward to giving them a try. I did pay extra to speed up the shipping process. We will see if it was worth it. Estimated delivery date when I ordered was either 5/13 or 5/14 using Fedex.
Mike P.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Thu May 07, 2020 6:28 am

If you decide you wanna jump up to a higher end rod, grab a Tenryu Rayz. Made in japan, ideal for panfish/trout. They offer a 5'3UL and 5'6L.