The feedbag was on today ...

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

The feedbag was on today ...

Post by uljersey » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:38 pm

Today was overcast, wind blowing 20 mph+ and cool with a major storm system coming in. I hunkered down and got busy. They basically ate pretty much everything I threw at them. Two UL spinning rigs, a BFS rig and a ML casting rig all saw action and all caught multiple fish. I live for days like this :D

Rapala Mini Fat Rap w/#8 barbless inline single hooks

1/16 oz chatterbait

Luck E Strike RC Series 1 squarebill

Hard to see, black/blue micro sized Yum Vibra King tube on a 1/16 oz jig head

Cabela's Sweet Pea, which is actually a rebranded Matzuo Nano Crank. Single barbless inline hook.

3/8 oz Strike King Rocket Shad spinnerbait. This wasn't a UL or BFS fish, I was using my ML casting rig when this thing just annihilated the bait. I thought I had a decent bass at first, it was stripping drag and running for the hills, had the rod bent almost in half. Measured at a tad over 10"

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The feedbag was on today ...

Post by Knotty » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:04 pm

Very nice. I had just the opposite situation bank fishing. Tough bite with only small gills and a one bass from the town pond I was on.

I see you were out in the canoe. I usually avoid going out in the kayak when there's that much wind. Too hard to maintain a position. I assume you anchor?

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:19 am

Congrats on your catch!

Regards

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:49 am

Nice! I loved to fish all of the Fat Rap sizes when I was a kid. It was the first crankbait that I learned inside and out. I've had quite a few explode/break in half on big fish, but it is funny to see. My buddies and me used to carry two piece ultralights, or telescopic rods, in our golf bags at all times. I spent way more time purposely hitting my ball towards water hazards than focusing on my score :D . I threw the Rebel Wee Craw, the mini Fat Rap and the smallest Shad Rap a lot when I got close enough to get in a few casts. You never know what is going to eat the small cranks. They are pond killers! Bill Dance taught us well with these micro baits.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:15 pm

The Fat Rap is one of those baits I carried around for years but never tied on much until yesterday. No particular reason other than when I realized they were active so I took the opportunity to throw anything and everything at them just to see how many different types of baits they’d go for.