Daiwa Sol for BFS?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Calico Killer Kevin
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Sol for BFS?

Post by Calico Killer Kevin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I've ventured into freshwater gear. I've been on a major SW fishing bender here in SoCal, so even though I've updated all of my SW gear, I'm still rocking my Chronarch D's, Calcutta Te DCs, Conquests, and Sols for FW. BFS especially is a whole new world for me. I just received my Kuying Teton 6'3" UL rod so I'm pretty excited.

My question is, is it feasible to retrofit my Daiwa Sol for BFS or am I better off just buying the Daiwa Alphas ASC? The reel has already had the supertune treatment with polished gears, carbontex drag, and all ceramic bearings. I see the Megabass finesse spool is an option, but I'm not familiar with how UL it can cast. I will mostly be fishing small rivers and lakes in the Eastern Sierra mountains for trout with 2-4g spoons and plastics. Additionally, I have spool shims received from a generous TT member way back in the day that should allow my Sol to be used with a Presso spool, but I can't seem to source one these days.

Anyways, since I won't be fishing BFS a ton, I would prefer to not buy a dedicated BFS reel, but if my Sol can't feasibly be fitted with a BFS spool for 2-4g lures then I guess I would be willing to buy one... :lol:

Thanks in advance!

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Sol for BFS?

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:49 pm

Calico Killer Kevin wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:51 pm
Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I've ventured into freshwater gear. I've been on a major SW fishing bender here in SoCal, so even though I've updated all of my SW gear, I'm still rocking my Chronarch D's, Calcutta Te DCs, Conquests, and Sols for FW. BFS especially is a whole new world for me. I just received my Kuying Teton 6'3" UL rod so I'm pretty excited.

My question is, is it feasible to retrofit my Daiwa Sol for BFS or am I better off just buying the Daiwa Alphas ASC? The reel has already had the supertune treatment with polished gears, carbontex drag, and all ceramic bearings. I see the Megabass finesse spool is an option, but I'm not familiar with how UL it can cast. I will mostly be fishing small rivers and lakes in the Eastern Sierra mountains for trout with 2-4g spoons and plastics. Additionally, I have spool shims received from a generous TT member way back in the day that should allow my Sol to be used with a Presso spool, but I can't seem to source one these days.

Anyways, since I won't be fishing BFS a ton, I would prefer to not buy a dedicated BFS reel, but if my Sol can't feasibly be fitted with a BFS spool for 2-4g lures then I guess I would be willing to buy one... :lol:

Thanks in advance!
If your going to trout fish with this reel your better off just getting an alphas acs. You can get a spool for your sol an sv spool,
a cosugi works spool, or a megabass zonda honeycomb spool etc and turn that sol into a fun bass bfs reel, but it is still not going to cast as light as lures as the alphas air stream custom.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

MisterQ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MisterQ » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:58 pm

You could try a DIY spool.
Cheap and worth the money
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32644631957.html
A TD-Z is forever

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:10 pm

Or you could buy a finesse spool for your sol from chris.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=83705
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:12 pm

Try and find a Zonda BFS spool. They do great with UL baits. The Ray's Spools are good to but that air brake and paper thin inductor don't do well with UL baits IMO.