Going to the Lighter Side

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Going to the Lighter Side

Post by goldrod » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:03 am

looking for rod recommendations for Crappie and Pan fish. I've been doing some reading and 1/16-1/4 4-8lb test seems good for a Major craft rod. Im only dipping my toe into crappie and pan fishing and would like to see what the consensus is with where one should began. I had rod by rapala that I gave away and what I liked about it was it was light but not a noodle.. I landed a 5lb bass on it with a mini trap and man I realize now that I should have kept that rod. Id like to stay away from a noodle of a stick but still light enough to pitch a cricket or cast a small jig. Thanks in advance
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Going to the Lighter Side

Post by bronzefly » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:56 am

You should check out the Daiwa Kage UL series. They are just awesome panfish rods, and the "matching" reel in the 1000 size makes an awesome combo. TT keeps them in stock of course...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Trout Bloke
Angler
Angler

Post by Trout Bloke » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:30 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:03 am
looking for rod recommendations for Crappie and Pan fish. I've been doing some reading and 1/16-1/4 4-8lb test seems good for a Major craft rod. Im only dipping my toe into crappie and pan fishing and would like to see what the consensus is with where one should began. I had rod by rapala that I gave away and what I liked about it was it was light but not a noodle.. I landed a 5lb bass on it with a mini trap and man I realize now that I should have kept that rod. Id like to stay away from a noodle of a stick but still light enough to pitch a cricket or cast a small jig. Thanks in advance
You don't state what your budget is or whether you prefer a 1 or 2pc rod but it sounds like you want a a fairly stiff rod. I would start with Major Craft 's Light Game models starting with the Triple Cross, N-One and then the X-Ride. You did list 4-8lb line so keep in mind most of the Light Game rods 7ft and under are rated up to 5lb Nylon or FC line however.

For heavier lines over 5lb you might consider an UL or light action bass rod used for finesse type bass fishing. These UL or L action rods typically have sensitive tips but have a stronger backbone than Light Game rods and are still rated for 1/32 - 1/4 oz and up to 8-10lb lines. Major Craft has many choices in bass rods and Megabass's F1 - F3 spinning rods in the Levante or Orochi series might cover your needs. The Megabass JDM spinning models are offered in 1 or 2pc and some 4pc.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:12 pm

Trout Bloke wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:30 pm
goldrod wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:03 am
You don't state what your budget is or whether you prefer a 1 or 2pc rod but it sounds like you want a a fairly stiff rod. I would start with Major Craft 's Light Game models starting with the Triple Cross, N-One and then the X-Ride. You did list 4-8lb line so keep in mind most of the Light Game rods 7ft and under are rated up to 5lb Nylon or FC line however.

For heavier lines over 5lb you might consider an UL or light action bass rod used for finesse type bass fishing. These UL or L action rods typically have sensitive tips but have a stronger backbone than Light Game rods and are still rated for 1/32 - 1/4 oz and up to 8-10lb lines. Major Craft has many choices in bass rods and Megabass's F1 - F3 spinning rods in the Levante or Orochi series might cover your needs. The Megabass JDM spinning models are offered in 1 or 2pc and some 4pc.
Thank You for the information
As far as budget I’m very limited in what I want to spend because I am not sure this something I’m going to do five years down the road
I was thinking about my bass drop shot setups and using the spinning model
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible