Daiwa Alphas Air Stream Custom - BFS

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Matavase83
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Alphas Air Stream Custom - BFS

Post by Matavase83 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:24 am

Hi All,

New to this forum, have started reading a bit since I have tried BFS for trout and as you can imagine it’s quite a mess now.. ](*,)

I have fished my first and only combo only 4 times yet but already desire to buy another one :roll: , my actual combo is a Major Craft Finetail 4,10’ and a Shimano Aldebaran BFS XG, great stuff and having loads of fun, but at least another combo is needed !!!

Was thinking of a Daiwa reel to have a Shimano and a Daiwa, as by subject the Daiwa Alphas Air Stream Custom has something about it that makes me wanna have it.

Fishing in small streams, using from 3-5 gr lures, does this reel have any advantages against the Aldebaran?

Any advice is highly appreciated, just would like some comparison or insider info on the reels/reel.

Thank you very much
Chris

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Alphas Air Stream Custom - BFS

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:29 am

Welcome Chris.

I really liked my Air Stream Custom (fell out the boat). I would say the 3-5gr range will do just fine with the ASC. The spool is really controlled without being restricted.

I did an in depth write up in the TT User Review section on the ASC. I also have YouTube series on the reel.

I like the Aldebaran BFS with lighter lures, but I like a fast reel for that in streams. My Aldebaran also has an aftermarket spool so, it is skewed.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Matavase83
Angler
Angler

Post by Matavase83 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:42 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:29 am
Welcome Chris.

I really liked my Air Stream Custom (fell out the boat). I would say the 3-5gr range will do just fine with the ASC. The spool is really controlled without being restricted.

I did an in depth write up in the TT User Review section on the ASC. I also have YouTube series on the reel.

I like the Aldebaran BFS with lighter lures, but I like a fast reel for that in streams. My Aldebaran also has an aftermarket spool so, it is skewed.
I was hoping for an answer from you as most posts I read here had some answers from you and I also saw your youtube vids.

So basically you are saying that the aldebaran is better in the lower end weight of the lures? I thought the ASC would be better there...

The Aldebaran has a 8 retrieve and the ASC a 7.2, so regarding retrieve I am fine on the higher end with the Aldebaran, just looking for an excuse to justify a purchase probably.

Thank you for getting a first reply so quick,
Chris

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:09 pm

The Aldebaran BFS also comes in a 6.x gear ratio. I dont remember the exact ratio.

I do like both reels. The ASC is a good reel. The ASC is not slouch at casting the light lures. For around 290ish, it is a great buy as well. Nice spool, smooth retrieve, carbon handle and cork knobs, it is a great value.

Matavase83
Angler
Angler

Post by Matavase83 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am

Hi Hobie,

Thanks for your extra feedback! It seems very difficult to find at a reasonable price so I have put on hold my purchase for now, just saw your instagram post about new Alphas Air and might be waiting for some review on that.

May I ask for info on the Aldebaran? I added two magnets today to get to 8 in total, but was unsure which way to fit them in, there is one sise with a N on it, they fit either way (easier with the N upwards so you can see it), can you please confirm which way is correct? Probably stupid question but quite new to all this and don’t want to mess up.

Thank you!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:41 pm

Matavase83 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am
Hi Hobie,

Thanks for your extra feedback! It seems very difficult to find at a reasonable price so I have put on hold my purchase for now, just saw your instagram post about new Alphas Air and might be waiting for some review on that.

May I ask for info on the Aldebaran? I added two magnets today to get to 8 in total, but was unsure which way to fit them in, there is one sise with a N on it, they fit either way (easier with the N upwards so you can see it), can you please confirm which way is correct? Probably stupid question but quite new to all this and don’t want to mess up.

Thank you!
No problem. The ASC I have been seeing seeing from about 260-300 USD. Most of them have been RH.

As far as the magnets, as long as they are staying in the slot, it should be fine. I havent seen any difference. I did have to superglue one into the slot because the thin metal piece came out that the magnet would normally stick to.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:37 pm

At the bottom at the page linked below you will find a description how to add the magnets correctly.

[url]https://japantackle.com/casting-reels/s ... bfsxg.html[/url]

I think Alphas Air CT will be a better choice than Alphas Air Stream for you. I have Steez SV CT with Roro and Ray's spool. I would expect Alphas Air CT to be comparable with Steez CT with the Ray's spool. Ray's spool has movable inductor, Roro has fixed.

Matavase83
Angler
Angler

Post by Matavase83 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:22 am

I have put it the way Jun suggested with the N upwards, unfortunately can‘t test it now as in Italy everybody has to stay home and fishing is not a reason to leave your premises... :( (which probably is better considering the impact covid has).

How is the situation in the US? You guys still allowed to leave home for fishing?

If this is inappropriate content I apologize.

Stay safe
Chris

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:32 am

Matavase83 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:22 am
I have put it the way Jun suggested with the N upwards, unfortunately can‘t test it now as in Italy everybody has to stay home and fishing is not a reason to leave your premises... :( (which probably is better considering the impact covid has).

How is the situation in the US? You guys still allowed to leave home for fishing?

If this is inappropriate content I apologize.

Stay safe
Chris
Washington State is CLOSED.

Rick

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:00 pm

Matavase83 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 am
Hi Hobie,

Thank you!
The two extra magnets should be inserted with the N facing out.