Daiwa presso AGS 61MLF

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa presso AGS 61MLF

Post by fishonsc » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:42 am

Any info on these rods? Been eyeing the presso AGS 61MLF for throwing 1/16 to 1/8 crappie jigs. I like a fast tip. One of these rods would match up perfectly with my Daiwa presso ltd 1025. Would like some feedback before I drop $400 on one. If not any recommendations?
Thanks

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa presso AGS 61MLF

Post by Craigthor » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:27 pm

fishonsc wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:42 am
Any info on these rods? Been eyeing the presso AGS 61MLF for throwing 1/16 to 1/8 crappie jigs. I like a fast tip. One of these rods would match up perfectly with my Daiwa presso ltd 1025. Would like some feedback before I drop $400 on one. If not any recommendations?
Thanks
No info, I was hunting for some of the AGS rods for a bit before I bought more Smith rods. They always look cool from the pictures.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:08 am

In general, area rods are softer action, more US panfish style moderate blanks. For such relatively heavy rigs I'd say you might end up with something a little softer than ideal. Hopefully Alphahawk will chime in on this one.

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:16 am

Allsorts wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:08 am
In general, area rods are softer action, more US panfish style moderate blanks. For such relatively heavy rigs I'd say you might end up with something a little softer than ideal. Hopefully Alphahawk will chime in on this one.
Been reading about area and stream rods. It seems. I could be wrong. That area rods have a fast tip with a moderate backbone and stream rods are the opposite. Moderate tip with a strong backbone. I prefer the fast tip. Why I was looking at the area rods. Then again. I could be wrong and have it backwards. Still learning about JDM trout rods.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:12 pm

I have had my eye on the Presso Limited AGS for a while now. I have been concentrating on acquiring more reels and not much money left for rods right now. Of course you are looking at a different rod. I love the area trout rods for crappie and bluegill. I even use my 6' 7" Fine Tail Banshee to target KY spotted bass in the 14-18 inch range. My latest area trout rod is the 2018 Fine Tail Area Stage 6' 3" SUL and it is listed as fast but I have to tell you that rod should be listed as xtra fast. I highly suspect the rod you are looking at is very fast. I love to fish the area trout rods due to the fun factor...and the good looks most of them have....as well as the sensitivity. I do not own any stream trout rods and have no plans to do so due to the lack of sensitivity. The Palms Egeria Area rod is a 6' 4" XUl and I have landed some 3 pound largemouth with it...and also a lot of Spotted bass but it is not in the same class of my other 2 area rods and not even close to what you are looking at. I think the Presso will be perfect for your intended use.

Regards

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:24 pm

Alphahawk wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:12 pm
I have had my eye on the Presso Limited AGS for a while now. I have been concentrating on acquiring more reels and not much money left for rods right now. Of course you are looking at a different rod. I love the area trout rods for crappie and bluegill. I even use my 6' 7" Fine Tail Banshee to target KY spotted bass in the 14-18 inch range. My latest area trout rod is the 2018 Fine Tail Area Stage 6' 3" SUL and it is listed as fast but I have to tell you that rod should be listed as xtra fast. I highly suspect the rod you are looking at is very fast. I love to fish the area trout rods due to the fun factor...and the good looks most of them have....as well as the sensitivity. I do not own any stream trout rods and have no plans to do so due to the lack of sensitivity. The Palms Egeria Area rod is a 6' 4" XUl and I have landed some 3 pound largemouth with it...and also a lot of Spotted bass but it is not in the same class of my other 2 area rods and not even close to what you are looking at. I think the Presso will be perfect for your intended use.

Regards
Thanks! Sensitive is very important to me. Would you go with the l or the ml? Really have no clue about the ratings on JDM trout rods.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:57 am

fishonsc wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:24 pm
Alphahawk wrote:

Regards
Thanks! Sensitive is very important to me. Would you go with the l or the ml? Really have no clue about the ratings on JDM trout rods.
This is a tough call. I’ve never handled a ML rated area trout rod. The lighter the better for me....but I sure don’t want to steer anyone wrong. The L version has the solid tip....the ML has a tubular tip and will be more versatile. The ML also has a max lure rating of 5 gram vs 4 gram for the L version. If you will be casting 1/8 I would go with the ML.

Regards

fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishonsc » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:33 am

Alphahawk wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:57 am
fishonsc wrote:
Alphahawk wrote:

Regards
This is a tough call. I’ve never handled a ML rated area trout rod. The lighter the better for me....but I sure don’t want to steer anyone wrong. The L version has the solid tip....the ML has a tubular tip and will be more versatile. The ML also has a max lure rating of 5 gram vs 4 gram for the L version. If you will be casting 1/8 I would go with the ML.

Regards

Thanks for the help. I ordered the 62ul. I like a fast tip but not extra fast. Figured the ul would be more fun. This will be a strictly crappie and gill rod.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:14 am

fishonsc wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:33 am
Alphahawk wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:57 am
fishonsc wrote:
Alphahawk wrote:

Regards

Regards

Thanks for the help. I ordered the 62ul. I like a fast tip but not extra fast. Figured the ul would be more fun. This will be a strictly crappie and gill rod.

You're going to have a whole lot of fun!

Regards

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:27 am

Just to confirm the comment on stream trout rods, they are mostly designed for 'minnowing' which is a twitchy fast retrieve carried out with sinking minnows. Actions are fast generally in order to deal with the inertia of the minnows in flowing water. They aren't particularly sensitive and I generally wouldn't consider one for contact lures like SPs. I've found (very limited sample) that Magor Craft rods are typically slightly stiffer than average.

ML is quite strong for an Area application, will be very interesting to hear how the Presso works.

Sometimes a particular rod gets hold of me and my research ends up being done to validate a decision I've already made...I'm sure no-one else ever has this problem 😉

CheezusCrust
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CheezusCrust » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:15 am

I have a L major craft volkey and catch 4-5 lbs smallies often.You just can't power horse them to the boat.So logically a UL would be just fine for trout and panfish