Evergreen Limber tip or Olympic 17 Finezza Prototype

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Faron
Angler
Angler

Evergreen Limber tip or Olympic 17 Finezza Prototype

Post by Faron » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:15 am

I've decided to get a higher end JDM light game rod and have my eyes on these two. hope I can get some first hand experience here -
I will use it for Crappie and I need it to be able to handle bigger fish like 3+ lb smallmouth because where I fish
price is not much a factor. limber tip 610 costs a little more
I heard Olympic makes blank for evergreen so perhaps these two rods have the same birth place? but 17 finezza has toray 1100G and Nanoalloy and I could not find same info on Limber tip, i am guessing Limber tip has a kinda older version of graphite so blank wise 17 finezza would be better? also given the name, Limber tip is probably slower than finezza which has a fast tip?
sensitivity is my #1 consideration, action, taper, balance #2, appearance #3. all important though :big grin:
I have a daiwa Presso LTD reel for it
thank for advice!

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Evergreen Limber tip or Olympic 17 Finezza Prototype

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:47 pm

Faron wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:15 am
I've decided to get a higher end JDM light game rod and have my eyes on these two. hope I can get some first hand experience here -
I will use it for Crappie and I need it to be able to handle bigger fish like 3+ lb smallmouth because where I fish
price is not much a factor. limber tip 610 costs a little more
I heard Olympic makes blank for evergreen so perhaps these two rods have the same birth place? but 17 finezza has toray 1100G and Nanoalloy and I could not find same info on Limber tip, i am guessing Limber tip has a kinda older version of graphite so blank wise 17 finezza would be better? also given the name, Limber tip is probably slower than finezza which has a fast tip?
sensitivity is my #1 consideration, action, taper, balance #2, appearance #3. all important though :big grin:
I have a daiwa Presso LTD reel for it
thank for advice!
I have never used an Evergreen but know them to be very good rods. I do own a Finezza Prototype and tangle with big Smallies quite often. If I go after crappie...bluegill....shellcracker, in waters known to have an abundance of small mouth the Finezza Prototype is the rod of choice. I can have fun with the panfish yet it can handle big fish. I have landed a 30 pound drum with the Finezza Prototype also. The 3 things you’re looking for it has. Olympic makes outstanding rods. I own the Finezza and the Corto. The build.....fit...finish are impeccable. The Finezza Prototype is extremely sensitive. Here are a couple of videos with the rod in action with Smallies.

Regards

https://youtu.be/JCFcUMP3kZw

https://youtu.be/SSkRgOCcRq4

Faron
Angler
Angler

Post by Faron » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:31 pm

thanks Randy. great videos. I do have confidence in 17 finezza prototype after a lot of research on JDM rods including watching your channel.
I just also read rave reviews on the Limber tip and given the similar pricing, wanted to collect some more info before I pull the trigger. I wish I have budget for both lol

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:44 pm

Faron wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:31 pm
thanks Randy. great videos. I do have confidence in 17 finezza prototype after a lot of research on JDM rods including watching your channel.
I just also read rave reviews on the Limber tip and given the similar pricing, wanted to collect some more info before I pull the trigger. I wish I have budget for both lol
I too want to eventually get a Limber Tip. I have read that it does make an excellent finesse rod for smallmouth.

Regards

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:09 am

Not owned the specific rods mentioned but have owned a Salty Sensation (BB Hitman), the new Evergreen Superior spec (Super Attacker) and Graphiteleader Protoype spec (Corto & Tiro). The Prototype spec is better value considering the blank and components you get - blanks feature same construction as Evergreen Inspirare / Serpenti which are (or were) top of the heap. Evergreen SS are great rods and perform very well but with slightly more basic blanks. Go for the Evergreen if there is a very specific action / style you are looking for, this is what makes Evergreen excellent, they make amazing technique-specific rods. Graphiteleader do an outstanding general range if that makes sense? Graphiteleader Prototype blanks are 'steely' in a way that the Evergreen SS aren't. It's a minor issue, more about personal preference than performance. Good luck with your choice, both will delight you I'm sure!

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:06 am

Allsorts wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:09 am
Not owned the specific rods mentioned but have owned a Salty Sensation (BB Hitman), the new Evergreen Superior spec (Super Attacker) and Graphiteleader Protoype spec (Corto & Tiro). The Prototype spec is better value considering the blank and components you get - blanks feature same construction as Evergreen Inspirare / Serpenti which are (or were) top of the heap. Evergreen SS are great rods and perform very well but with slightly more basic blanks. Go for the Evergreen if there is a very specific action / style you are looking for, this is what makes Evergreen excellent, they make amazing technique-specific rods. Graphiteleader do an outstanding general range if that makes sense? Graphiteleader Prototype blanks are 'steely' in a way that the Evergreen SS aren't. It's a minor issue, more about personal preference than performance. Good luck with your choice, both will delight you I'm sure!
Good to see you posting again.

Regards

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:57 am

Alphahawk wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:06 am
Allsorts wrote:

Regards
Thanks Alphahawk - I've been a bit busy fixing and selling a house and moving countries, all done now so normal service should resume ;)

Faron
Angler
Angler

Post by Faron » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:23 am

Alphahawk wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:06 am
Allsorts wrote:

Regards
good to have you two guru responded. think I will go with Finezza given the better blank. and overall Olympic offers quite a few reputable lines of product like Finezza, Corto, Vigore etc. my goal is to get a taste of each of them over time.

I did read some feedbacks regarding Graphiteleader rods were sometimes prone to breakage, not sure to what degree that is a fact. I have a Silverado which I only fished once before lakes frozen up here.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:09 pm

I've a Corto Nuovo prototype which I've been very impressed with. hyper crisp blank, very strong backbone (relatively) and has caught all sorts of species for me and boat flipped a lot of them. I did manage to snap 1.5" off the tip by my own foolishness trying to untangle some line while holding the rod and the angle the line was pulling was enough to snap the very fine solid tip. I have to say that the modified rod is almost better than the original, just stiffened it up a hair and I still love it. The only rod I've broken and still been happy with!

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:30 pm

This year Graphite leader will be offering budget line for Corto and Finezza called "UX", made in China. they are still quality blank and components for entry level products. will be interested to see how these rods feel and fish...