Ice Fishing

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Ice Fishing

Post by Pen3 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:54 am

New season of Ice fishing will start after Thanksgiving here in Midwest MN. I only got into Ice fishing two seasons ago and still pretty new to the hobby. I usually have my second rod with a live minnow and the main rod with a jighead and plastic or a jigging spoon. The reins PALPUNTIN in 2g-3.5g and 2" Rockvibe shaker have been the most productive for me in my lakes, but was wondering what everyone here is using under the ice for perch and crappie.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Ice Fishing

Post by slipperybob » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:56 am

As usual when the fish are biting, it almost don't matter what you're jigging.

The basics of a simple round jig head in weights of 1/8 th oz or less usually gets the job done with any simple plastics. As usual sometimes live bait is the only way, so either typical minnows or waxies of the type.

You're most aggressive and chaser lures like jigging raps will pick out the most active fish first.

Then spoons of all sorts, just to be different. The basics of kastmasters, swedish pimples, buckshot spoons, gets the job done. Then the variations comes in with all sorts of blings or differences.

In simplicity Northland's forage minnow spoon is so simple and is the perfect weight to catch them all. Lindy's Rattl'n Flyer spoon is a another that somehow catches them all as well with the smallest one for crappie and perch.

Of course one can't just stop there. The variations of lipless cranks like Chubby Darters will work like a caller and a reaction bite taunt.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

jigmaster5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jigmaster5 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:52 am

I used to fish spoons tipped w/a piece of worm....or small jigs tipped w/spikes....caught 1000's of fish.

This season, I'm ditching the live bait in favor of plastics. I've tried tons of options + narrowed it down to 2.

2 main baits:
1/13 oz cocho cocho tungsten jighead w/3" reins bubbling shaker (pink + chart). in summer (warm water), durability of bubbling shaker is awful to the point where it's only good for 1 fish. in winter (cold water), most plastics will tighten up and lose action....but bubbling shaker keeps on shaking + durability improves. Action is key thing - it has to look alive. Great bait for bigger perch + crappie. Much bigger plastic that most ppl fish for ice panfish....and it works! If you like reins, give the 3" bubbling shaker a try.

1/32 oz VMC mongo jig + 13 fishing jeffrey (various colors). IF the bite gets tough (mid-winter, cold front), then I downsize to the jeffrey. Super thin tapered tail moves well in cold water. Also, a better choice (size) for bluegills. I put a micro drop of super glue on the hook shank + fish the jeffrey until it gets too ripped up. Smaller size + lighter weight gets solid bites when they just nip at 3" bubbling shaker.....but I always start with 3" bubbling shaker, stay mobile & try to pick off bigger fish. In summer, the jeffrey under a thill mini shy bite is dynamite for panfish.

Only other tip is that I use some kind of scent on my baits....i use smelly jelly....but pick your favorite. :D

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:52 pm

I have been a big fan of Reins plastic for all seasons of fishing.I have ordered some of the Daiwa Gekkabijin SW jigheads for this season as i have heard many great things about them. I got the regular one as well as the open gap version. I am also trying out the Reins scent in powder form, i bought two bottles of it, its supposed to be the same stuff their plastics are soaked in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtH1T9cUlp0

Garfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Garfisher » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:27 am

Jigging spoons are my favourite, I usually use a 1" Williams Wabler and tip it with a Gulp Waxie, catches basically everything. Small Swedish Pimples are good too, one of my biggest bass ever came on a 1" yellow ice Pimple (that same day I also got one of my biggest gills ever plus a muskie)

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:11 pm

I usually have 1 rod rigged up with a 1/16 tungsten jig and ad a wax worm or a few spikes.

2nd rod I will use with a spool, either a flutter spoon or a rattle spoon.

I hope we get Ice soon.....the wait is killing me, last year I was already on the ice.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:25 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:11 pm
I hope we get Ice soon.....the wait is killing me, last year I was already on the ice.
We finally got over 4" of ice here this week, i had to drive a few hours north to ice fish earlier.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:58 pm

Pen3 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:25 pm
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:11 pm
We finally got over 4" of ice here this week, i had to drive a few hours north to ice fish earlier.
Nice, we got 6" at one of our smallest reservoirs, I think I caught about 160 perch, 4 trout and 6 bluegill in the
past two days of fishing :big grin:

Going back Friday I think....

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:34 am

Ice fishing is popular hobby in Finland because in Northern Finland lakes are frozen a half of year.

Here is music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GknIJ5tPe4U
, which has been recorded in a fishing contest in Kilpisjärvi:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/99490 ... 20.8032994

‘Sports’ drinks are consumed as usual…

Band that is playing is The Meänland. They play in ‘Meän -language’, which Finnish people living in Sweden in a Valley of Tornio have been talking:
https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me%C3%A4nkieli

This is not best song from their in my opinion but the most fishing related.

This is another one very close to related, but with better rhytm and flow in my opinion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va0gMxZpHNM
Ice fishing is strong in Finnish blood.

Sorry offtopic 😊