Daiwa GEKKABIJIN SW LIGHT JIGHEAD

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
TMax37
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Daiwa GEKKABIJIN SW LIGHT JIGHEAD

Post by TMax37 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:04 pm

Last weekend I went to Roaring River State Park in Missouri to fish for rainbow trout, was able to catch and release 25-30 fish in about 4 hours of fishing!

After trying out several different baits (spinners, spoons, wooley boogers, etc), plastic worms and eggs, along with several different colors of Trout Magnets I settled on a black 0.5 gram Gekkabijin jighead with a Purple Redemption trout magnet for the most consistent bite of the day.

This is the first trip with the JDM Diawa Gekkabijin SW LJ jighead from finesse-fishing.com. I was seriously amazed how easily the chemically sharpened jig heads penetrated the hard mouths of the trout! Alphahawk has mentioned several time about the sharpness of these jig heads, and indeed, they are SHARP! In addition to being sharp, the gap on the hook is a little bit wider than a typical #8 hook which easily hooked the fish. The hook eye sits on to making the horizontal presentation of a Trout Magnet easy to accomplish.

A little expensive, but they are an extremely superior product that what's available on the our domestic market. Get ya some!

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa GEKKABIJIN SW LIGHT JIGHEAD

Post by Knotty » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:05 pm

I won some (along with a bunch of other stuff) when alphahawk/Randy/TroutMagnetMan did a giveaway on his YouTube channel. Indeed they have impressive performance and it's nice that they come in a variety of weights. Probably the best jig heads I've ever tried for UL. I've been reluctant to buy them, because I tend to lose a number per outing and I fish most days, but I'm sure I'll give in someday.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:54 pm

Agree, my fav jighead for trout. Just superb. Thanks Alphahawk for turning me onto these.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:36 pm

I’m just happy to be able to test out what I do and report on it. Like everything I have ordered from Japan once you use their gear there is no going back. Believe me they’re days I’ve lost more jigs than I care to admit to.....and other days I lose none. I can’t bring myself to go back to other jig heads. These things are just too darn good.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:36 pm

Quick question Alphahawk & TMax37,

I like the 0.5 gram heads for the troutmagnets. What size hooks do you use? The size 10 and 8 both fit and I am wondering if you found one preferable over the other, and why?

Also, the size 10 is really very fine wire. I wonder if I will straighten it using anything more than 2 lbs test.

Thanks for any insight.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 am

ultralight wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:36 pm
Quick question Alphahawk & TMax37,

I like the 0.5 gram heads for the troutmagnets. What size hooks do you use? The size 10 and 8 both fit and I am wondering if you found one preferable over the other, and why?

Also, the size 10 is really very fine wire. I wonder if I will straighten it using anything more than 2 lbs test.

Thanks for any insight.
Good question. I haven’t used any heavier line with them. As to the size I prefer a #8 for everything. As I’m sure you know their hook size on those are a little bigger than ours.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:16 pm

Thanks. Yes, the 8 is a lot larger than the standard Trout Magnet jigheads - especially the hook and I always wondered if trout with good eyesight balk at a large hook. I know that more aggressive fish such as crappies do not seem to care.

Thanks for your comment.

Trout Bloke
Angler
Angler

Post by Trout Bloke » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:13 am

ultralight wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:16 pm
Thanks. Yes, the 8 is a lot larger than the standard Trout Magnet jigheads - especially the hook and I always wondered if trout with good eyesight balk at a large hook. I know that more aggressive fish such as crappies do not seem to care.

Thanks for your comment.
I don't think trout balk at a large hook. I've watched large trout ambush jigs and jerkbaits with much ferocity and speed, once they commit they hit 'em hard if they are in aggressive mode. I use hand tied jigs up to 1/16oz, some with size 4 hooks. On the other hand there are days when they can be fickle but even then they always take the jig on the fall regardless of jig hook size.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:01 am

Thanks.

Curious what you guys average in cost per pack of these jigs after factoring in shipping and fees.

Thanks.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:17 am

ultralight wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:01 am
Thanks.

Curious what you guys average in cost per pack of these jigs after factoring in shipping and fees.

Thanks.
I have an order of 100 jig heads on the way and the average with shipping is 95 cents each. I have another 800 out in the garage of everything from .5 gram through 2 grams. I was getting low on my sweet spot jig.....the 1.5 gram #8 hook.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:12 pm

Thanks.

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:32 pm

I ordered some of these, they seem like a great purchase. I am looking forward to trying them out...

I am interested in getting some mini texas rig style hooks too that are also sharp like this.. any suggestions? I was planning to rig like in this video.....but with barbed, ultra sharp tips and super thin wire like the Gekkabijin SW....

Any hook suggestions?

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:53 pm

OH, the hook used in the video is the Gamakatsu Executive J20 size 10.... I was kinda thinking size 8

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:06 pm

By the way, for those of you using this jighead, do you generally prefer the black or the white/pink heads? Do you think that it makes any difference?

Thanks.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:23 pm

ultralight wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:06 pm
By the way, for those of you using this jighead, do you generally prefer the black or the white/pink heads? Do you think that it makes any difference?

Thanks.
I don’t think it makes any difference at all. I use black and have used the red ones. I noticed no difference in my catch rate. In the end I prefer the black.

Regards