Daiwa Gekkabijin

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
TMax37
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Daiwa Gekkabijin

Post by TMax37 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:49 am

Any experience with these rods out of the JDM? Quality for the price? Which one for crappie?

Thx

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Gekkabijin

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:43 am

TMax37 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:49 am
Any experience with these rods out of the JDM? Quality for the price? Which one for crappie?

Thx
I’ve owned a couple back about 5 years ago. Build quality was very good but I found both the Ajing and Mebaru rods too stiff for my liking for crappie. The rods were super sensitive but not much fun factor for crappie.

Regards

Faron
Angler
Angler

Post by Faron » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:47 pm

Alphahawk wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:43 am
TMax37 wrote:

Thx
I’ve owned a couple back about 5 years ago. Build quality was very good but I found both the Ajing and Mebaru rods too stiff for my liking for crappie. The rods were super sensitive but not much fun factor for crappie.

Regards
Randy first I'd like to let you know I've been following you on JDM gear quite a while now both here, crappie. com and your YouTube channel. a lot of learning and a big thank you for that :)

now back to topic. I've been watching Daiwa gekkabijin MX mebaru some time and especially the 68L model. I know you feel these rods too stiff for crappie, then my question is for the same price range what would be a better choice of Mebaru rod according to your experience. I also want the rod to be able to handle 3-5 lbs Walleye sometimes as here up North in Canada we do fish walleye quite often.

thanks

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:17 pm

Faron wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:47 pm
Alphahawk wrote:
TMax37 wrote:

Thx

Regards
Randy first I'd like to let you know I've been following you on JDM gear quite a while now both here, crappie. com and your YouTube channel. a lot of learning and a big thank you for that :)

now back to topic. I've been watching Daiwa gekkabijin MX mebaru some time and especially the 68L model. I know you feel these rods too stiff for crappie, then my question is for the same price range what would be a better choice of Mebaru rod according to your experience. I also want the rod to be able to handle 3-5 lbs Walleye sometimes as here up North in Canada we do fish walleye quite often.

thanks
Thanks for watching and the kind words. My statement was based on using the rod as a crappie rod only. I have an Graphiteleader Finezza Prototype that would be OK for crappie but it would not be my first choice. But if I was limited to just say one rod for crappie....bluegill...Smallies......then I would use that rod. I love the Tict Ice Cube line of rods for crappie but getting into larger fish makes for a stressful time with the Tict. The butt on the Graphiteleader is pretty hefty.....11mm and the Daiwa has a 9mm butt. So based on what you want to do I would get the Daiwa. I have landed an 8.5 pound walleye on a JDM rod I was using for trout fishing....don't remember the exact one.....but it was way too soft for that fish and I thought I would never get it in. So I think the Daiwa would be a great choice for you. I am not sure any are available as I know they are out with the 2019 models. I know Plat nor Digitaka have any in stock and the link to the Daiwa MX rods is not working. The TenRyu 6' 10" model is another rod you may want to look at. It is a bit more expensive but it could handle the larger fish and still give you fun with crappie. It is very sensitive...and to be truthful once we get around that 300 dollar mark on an ajing/mebaru JDM rod they are all very sensitive.

Regards

TMax37
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TMax37 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:37 am

Alphahawk wrote:
TMax37 wrote:

Thx

Regards

Thanks Randy! I appreciate you and sharing your JDM knowledge here and on YouTube