Looking for bfs blank or rod LXF 2 piece

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Looking for bfs blank or rod LXF 2 piece

Post by RayneStorm » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:02 am

I’m looking for a blank to build a bfs setup to chase trout and stream smallmouth. Gonna use marabou jigs (1/16 -3/16 ounce) and small jerkbaits (1/8 - 3/16 ounce) mainly. Will occasionally throw 1/8 and 1/4 ounce panther martins too.

I want between 6’4” to max of 7’, light power with extra fast action and must be 2 piece for airline travel. US really doesn’t offer much in high modulus with those specs. I want crisp action and full sensitivity. I dislike slower rods.

I would also buy a rod (and strip it down if I need too). I like the specs on the St. Croix LEP 6’4” lxf, but it’s a 1 piece and about $400... Since St Croix stopped selling blanks, I cannot buy just the blank and make it a 2 piece for a lot less.

I bought a couple St Croix trout 6’8” LF rods and they are too slow and heavy for my liking, I’m guessing probably from the sc2 tip section. So I took those back.

I also have interest in fenwick river runner 6’8” LF, but have no idea on how this rod feels at all. I read conflicting statements on how fast it is.

North Fork has a couple blanks I have interest in, but fear they might be softer than I like. FW 662-2 IM and FW 702-2 IM. I’m not familiar with Loomis or NF blanks, so I do not know how crisp these are. I prefer to build on St. Croix SCV blanks (for walleye/smallmouth) and the equivalent of other manufacturers, to give an idea on what I like. I built a Phenix k2 that is phenomenal, but slower than I want for this build.

In all reality, I’m gonna build 2 rods, one shorter bfs rod for accurate casting of these baits, and one longer spinning for distance and lighter offerings in wind conditions, that would tend to make the bfs rod less useable.

I’m open to all suggestions USDM or JDM in blanks or rods.

Thanks

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Looking for bfs blank or rod LXF 2 piece

Post by southpaw619 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:55 pm

A little shorter than you mentioned but take a look at the Fenwick LINKS 63CL-2J.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:40 pm

Check out Matagi's line of JDM blanks, I forget the trade name but very popular in EU and Russia. You will definitely find something suitable.

RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Post by RayneStorm » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:48 pm

6’3” is fine too. That Links rod looks to be a one piece. Seems more like a ML rating with the 1/16 - 3/8 ounce rating. Have you cast with this rod?

I also had a hard time finding this model available. Is it last years model, that was renamed for this year?

Thanks

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:53 pm

Check out Rodgeeks for SCV. St. Croix is still producing some of the more popular models and selling them through Rodgeeks.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:29 am

Are you OK with 4' on the tip end, and 3' on the handle end? Uneven blank halfs.

RayneStorm
Angler
Angler

Post by RayneStorm » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:38 pm

I’ve talked to Rod Geeks. They are only carrying the popular blanks in the SCV lineup, so mostly bass and walleye types. The only blank they have that I like for walleye is the 2 piece 6’6” MLF, but I think it will be to much blank for what I want for this build. I might buy it anyways, as I can just use it for walleye if it doesn’t work for trout baits. Rod Geeks doesn’t have many 2 piece blanks on their website unfortunately.

I don’t mind mismatched blank, as long as I can get them in my St Croix travel tube. I have the one for 7’ rods. It wouldn’t be the end of the world to buy a longer tube, if it means getting the perfect rod, though.

southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by southpaw619 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:02 pm

RayneStorm wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:48 pm
6’3” is fine too. That Links rod looks to be a one piece. Seems more like a ML rating with the 1/16 - 3/8 ounce rating. Have you cast with this rod?

I also had a hard time finding this model available. Is it last years model, that was renamed for this year?

Thanks
There is a one piece and two piece model. I haven't used this series, but I use the 63L model in the next series up just about every trip.