Uncharted Foreign Waters - what lures?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Uncharted Foreign Waters - what lures?

Post by ultralight » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:29 am

I travel a fair bit with my wife teaching overseas. Going on a trip where there will be rivers and ponds near where we are serving. I hope to bring two UL rods and spinning reels.

Question - assuming that you only know that there will be bodies of waters where you are, but have no clue what type of fish are in there, what types of lures/hooks/lines will you bring if you can only bring a small box of lures? What would be the most 'universal' lures?

Love to have any suggestions.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Uncharted Foreign Waters - what lures?

Post by poisonokie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:53 am

Crappie jig heads and plastics for sure and maybe some UL cranks/spoons. You can fit a lot of that stuff in a small space.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:15 am

Mepp's/Roostertail in-line spinners will catch virtually anything that swims. 2-3" curlytail grubs and 1/16-1/8 jigheads are a must, also.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:15 pm

Echoing the “spinners, spoons, and grubs”.

I would also add some 3” stickbaits. I use them a lot t-rigged on a #1 EWG hook when fishing snaggy rivers and ponds.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:09 am

beetlespins, roostertails, roadrunners, small jig heads with 1.5" plastics......some spoons and rapala minnows. Those will catch anything, anywhere for UL.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:26 am

You can not beat a good selection of paddle tail swimbaits and paddle tail flukes! I agree with the inline spinner and would only add that as far as rooster tails go, Walmart and most tackle stores only carry the 3/8 ounce or smaller. So I special order the biggest they make, the 1/2, 3/4, and full ounce versions (#216, 217, 218) and use them in freshwater and saltwater and as stated, they will catch just about anything. Oh, and I modify the inlines with heavier hooks and add a touch of flash to them as well since the rooster tail skirts often just don't cut it out of the box.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?