Bonus bass from the Owens River

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bonus bass from the Owens River

Post by toddmc » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:14 pm

Eight of my childhood neighborhood and little league friends headed to the Eastern Sierras from 5/7 to 5/12 for our 40th annual trip. We fish almost every lake, river, and creek from Lone Pine to Lake Crowley. We put a lot of miles on the trucks during this trip.
This bonus bass came from a recently finished culvert on the Owens River that had the fish stacked. We caught brown trout, rainbow trout, largemouth, smallmouth, and bluegill from the same small spot. We also managed quite a few brook trout at the Big Pine portal a few hours earlier. We call it a "damn slam".
The estimated 6 lb. bass hit my go to trout rig, a 3" Berkley Trout Worm on a dropshot rig. I was fishing it on my custom Phenix 60SRUL, Daiwa SS700, and 4 lb. Sniper. We got about 5" of snow in the upper elevations the night before. We were fighting the rain at the Owens Valley floor. You can see that I had my cold weather rain gear on. We have fished near 100 degree weather during the same week in previous years.
Owens River 5-11-19.jpg
Owens River 5-11-19.jpg (113.49 KiB) Viewed 3624 times

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bonus bass from the Owens River

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:37 am

I bet you that girl is over six pounds. Nice.
This is the way.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:14 am

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:37 am
My buddies were calling it 8, but I would put it between 6 and 7. It was fat and healthy without a mark on it. That river water is cold, especially from the snow melt that day. That fish probably won't spawn until well into June. So, it was about as heavy as it will be this year. She almost spooled me because I only keep 50 yards of 4 lb. on that reel because I change it out every night. I do have a largemouth over 10 pounds on that combo with 4 lb. Trilene XT, but the XT tests at about 7 pounds of breaking strength :lol: . We rarely catch largemouth over a pound in that river, but the locals keep telling me that there are giants in there. Now I believe them!

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:59 am

Well done. Amazing that there's such a big bass in those cold waters.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:26 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:37 am
I agree, she is "girthy"