Deciding on a bfs moving bait rod (bass), any recommendations?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Deciding on a bfs moving bait rod (bass), any recommendations?

Post by fishes » Tue May 21, 2019 4:30 pm

I've just recently gotten into bfs and am quickly realizing the addiction has taken over and I want about 10 bfs combos.
So far I've got a steez racing design 631mlfb with an aldebaran bfs that I'm using for light bottom contact stuff and now I'm in the market for a rod to throw small cranks and other hardbaits (in the 1/8 to 1/4 oz range) and small keitechs on 1/16oz heads, etc for bass. I'm planning on pairing the rod with a conquest bfs.

Anyway, I'm looking at a couple of rods and would love to hear feedback on them if youve used them as there's not much info on them around the internet (at least not in English):

-The shimano poison glorious 166l-g. I would have already bought this rod were it not to be partially constructed from glass. Generally I dont like glass rods, but Ive never gotten my hands on a partial glass rod. If anyone has this rod could you comment on its feel, etc? Generally I dont like glass because I like a crisper feeling blank.

-megabass evoluzion f2.5-66 estoque. This is the rod I'm leaning towards, just haven't pulled the trigger because its hard to find much info on it. Has anyone got their hands on this rod or fished with it? What are your thoughts?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? What are you guys using for this purpose?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Deciding on a bfs moving bait rod (bass), any recommendations?

Post by LowRange » Wed May 22, 2019 1:47 pm

Hard to say. The rods that do really well with 1/8 oz hardbaits might struggle a bit with 1/4 oz hardbaits. It also depends on the bait. 1/8 oz Tiny Trap casts like a bullet but a 1/8 oz Teeny Pop R casts like a wad of paper.

Here are a couple of rods I use for baits that fall within that weight range

Kuying Teton 662L. Great at casting and working 1/8 oz hard baits but is severely lacking in power and is an open water rod only. 1/4 oz is near the max I would throw on it anyway.

Majorcraft Volley 682L BFS. Similar tip to the Teton but WAY more backbone thanks to being a BFS rod. It does really well with #5 Shad Raps and 1/8 oz Tiny Traps but can struggle with Teeny Pop Rs. The 3/16 oz Baby Pop Max casts way better.

Kuying Leadership 762L. Similar to the Volkey 68L but with a little less stiffness in the backbone and also crazy long at 7'6". Casts 1/8 oz and 1/4 oz hardbaits into low earth orbit but is long and wonky to work with.

Others:

Steez Skyray ML. I use this for small jigs and plastics that fall within this weight range and skip them under docks with this rod exclusively. It would probably work for hardbaits.

Megabass ito F1 1/2-63Xti Espada: I haven't used it yet (need to finish the Monoblock Carrozzeria BFS) but it is in between the Volkey and Teton in power. It has a slower action than the Volkey and less backbone but more backbone and a stiffer tip than the Teton 662L. It looks to be great for 1/8 ton1/4 oz hardbaits but I wouldn't expect it to do well over 1/4 oz.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Deciding on a bfs moving bait rod (bass), any recommendations?

Post by poisonokie » Wed May 22, 2019 2:21 pm

^this^

I was going to suggest the rods I use, either the MS-X 65L or 68ML. Since the former shines with 1/8 and the latter with 1/4, you might as well buy both for what one of those Megabass and Steez sticks will run you.

Another thing, with those rods in particular you don't have to worry about whether you're fishing bottom contact or moving baits. Just keep it in the ratings and you'll be golden.
This is the way.