recommend a budget bfs ajing rod

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
nstd
Angler
Angler

recommend a budget bfs ajing rod

Post by nstd » Tue May 14, 2019 8:47 am

took the trout rod out and the mackerals were bending the rod to the grip. looking for a budget BFS ajing rod that would hold up.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: recommend a budget bfs ajing rod

Post by ultralight » Tue May 14, 2019 10:39 pm

U are talking about backbone - and that's not necessarily an ajing issue. You can have trout rods that has strong backbone. What lbs test are you using?

nstd
Angler
Angler

Post by nstd » Wed May 15, 2019 12:05 am

ultralight wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:39 pm
U are talking about backbone - and that's not necessarily an ajing issue. You can have trout rods that has strong backbone. What lbs test are you using?
8lb gliss

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed May 15, 2019 4:18 am

The Kuying SuperLite Ajing should handle fish like that w/o a problem. I own the 7’6” spinning version but I also comes in casting. I wrote about it here: https://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.ph ... 67#p649467

Don’t know your definition of budget but they’re around $100.

It has become my go to kayak rod, thanks to its length, a wide lure weight range (.8 - 10 g) and backbone.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed May 15, 2019 9:36 am

Maybe a Majorcraft BFS UL rod? BFS rods are meant for bass fishing and have pretty good backbones. Much more so than a rod intended for trout fishing.

nstd
Angler
Angler

Post by nstd » Wed May 15, 2019 12:29 pm

I’ll check out the kuying and major craft.

How about the tsurinoya pro flex ii ?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed May 15, 2019 2:35 pm

nstd wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:29 pm
I’ll check out the kuying and major craft.

How about the tsurinoya pro flex ii ?
I agree. It sounds like you need a bass rod.

The Major Craft MS-X 64UL/BF would've handled that much more deftly, but I don't know if it would cast whatever bait you were throwing. I've found 2g to be the realistic low end for something like a balsa crank if there's any kind of breeze involved. With a spoon you can dip down closer to 1g. Though from a kayak you can go jigging or pretty much always cast with the wind, in which case you should be able to go about as light as you want with it. All my experience with that rod is with an Alphas ASC and 4-6# fluorocarbon, so with 8# braid your results may be better. It would interfere with keeping your bait down if there's a breeze, but I suppose you already know that given the line you're currently using. I guess. I've never used Gliss.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed May 15, 2019 2:47 pm

That looked fun though. That's what it like when I hook into a big hybrid sunfish, bass, or catfish with my ultra light crappie spinning rod.
This is the way.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed May 15, 2019 8:45 pm

I have the old Kuying Superlite 8’6” - nice rod with plenty of backbone but not for the low lure weight that you are targetting and perhaps a bit long for the yak. The newer Superlite series also has a shorter 0.6-10 gram model, which may be more for you.

Other rods that are in my arsenal - that I have experience with - and could be useful to you could be the MC Volkeys, MC N-One, St Croix Gulf Coast rods and finally a trout rod from Daiwa, Wise Stream 6’2”. The latter actually has more backbone and controls bigger fish better than the aforementioned MC rods IMO.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun May 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Here's an idea of what the Kuying SuperLite can handle w/o problem. Caught this smallmouth this weekend from a dock on a trout magnet. The bass made multiple runs under the shallow water dock I was standing on and was able to pull him back out, despite being on 4# JDM flouro.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Mon May 20, 2019 11:41 am

I have a Kuying Teton 6’6” lighht action. I like it pretty well, can’t say how it will hold up. The first one I got, the tip section broke before even got line on it. But I saw good reviews, here and elsewhere, and decided to try another one. The action on these is more like an ultralight in the US.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-98-me ... st=ae803_5

I also have one of these, by Tsurinoya, it comes with 2 tip sections, 1 ML and 1 L action. This is a very nicely put together rod. I have not fished it yet. Action is heavier than the Teton rod, but still a Light action and lighter than most.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tsurino ... st=ae803_5

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 20, 2019 2:56 pm

Knotty wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:21 pm
Here's an idea of what the Kuying SuperLite can handle w/o problem. Caught this smallmouth this weekend from a dock on a trout magnet. The bass made multiple runs under the shallow water dock I was standing on and was able to pull him back out, despite being on 4# JDM flouro.

The SuperLight Ajing casting rod? This one? I was just looking at this and wondering how the rod would be.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/329925883 ... 45619763.0

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon May 20, 2019 6:39 pm

That’s the recently updated one but I don’t think we’re supposed to post links to sites that aren’t TT sponsors.

I have the SAS762S.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 21, 2019 12:57 am

Knotty wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:39 pm
That’s the recently updated one but I don’t think we’re supposed to post links to sites that aren’t TT sponsors.

I have the SAS762S.
As long as no one asks for a link then it is fine per the rules from my understanding.

nstd
Angler
Angler

Post by nstd » Sun May 26, 2019 12:46 am

Knotty wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:21 pm

what's the action like? Extra fast?