Two versions of 16 Aldebaran BFS? Cost of additional spools?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Two versions of 16 Aldebaran BFS? Cost of additional spools?

Post by ultralight » Thu May 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Apparently, there are two versions of 16 Aldebaran BFS - one that is regular and one with 'XG' after the title.

Is the ONLY difference between the two the gear ratio - 6.5 vs 8.0? Are all other parts and spools interchangeable? Or is there additional internal differences?

Finally, what is the cost of an additional original spool?

Thanks!

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Two versions of 16 Aldebaran BFS? Cost of additional spools?

Post by ss30378 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:12 pm

Yes ratio is the only difference 6.5 vs 8.0 between the two.

Spare oem spools are around $130 but you can get aftermarket spools which cast ultralight lures even better for around $100.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:02 pm

ultralight wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Thanks!
Ultralight, I see where you are heading with your recent posts. Your entering the world of BFS and you want it LIGHT!
I'm going to head you off at the pass and suggest a gameplan.
-Get the Steez CT SV
-Wait out the forthcoming KTF 30MM Finesse Spool (I'm guessing it's going to weigh 7 grams or less and hold around 50 meters of 6lb test) Comes with a IXA Micro Bearing on the spool, make sure to pick up one for the sideplate.
-Pick up a carbon handle and chop it in half (KTF makes one of the lightest)
CT SV should now weigh around 137 grams
-Secure yourself a Varivas 6'10 Super Suspender (40T Carbon/Glass-TT/TOR guides-73 grams)

http://www.varivas.co.jp/Product/searchgroup/id:4706

Bam! 210 grams of glory

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu May 09, 2019 10:06 pm

Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the info and suggestions....:)

I think 6.5 is what I want. Unfortunately I already ordered a 8.0. May keep that still - will see but I actually want lower ratios for very slow finesse. Good to find out about it today.

Great forum as always!!

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri May 10, 2019 1:53 pm

I should ask you 'pros'....:)

I see that the 8.0 is more popular than the 6.5 and also more widely available. I believe that I would do better with slower ratios as I sometimes am very slow in the retrieve. Is there a compeling reason why I should keep the 8.0 instead of going for the 6.5? Figure I'll ask before I zigzag from the 8.0.

Thanks again everyone!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri May 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:02 pm
ultralight wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Thanks!
Ultralight, I see where you are heading with your recent posts. Your entering the world of BFS and you want it LIGHT!
I'm going to head you off at the pass and suggest a gameplan.
-Get the Steez CT SV
-Wait out the forthcoming KTF 30MM Finesse Spool (I'm guessing it's going to weigh 7 grams or less and hold around 50 meters of 6lb test) Comes with a IXA Micro Bearing on the spool, make sure to pick up one for the sideplate.
-Pick up a carbon handle and chop it in half (KTF makes one of the lightest)
CT SV should now weigh around 137 grams
-Secure yourself a Varivas 6'10 Super Suspender (40T Carbon/Glass-TT/TOR guides-73 grams)

http://www.varivas.co.jp/Product/searchgroup/id:4706

Bam! 210 grams of glory
You, sir, are the JDM guru. I bow to your knowledge. If I hit the lotto just be prepared for all the cash I'm gonna throw your way to pick my arsenal for me.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri May 10, 2019 2:55 pm

ultralight wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:53 pm
I should ask you 'pros'....:)

I see that the 8.0 is more popular than the 6.5 and also more widely available. I believe that I would do better with slower ratios as I sometimes am very slow in the retrieve. Is there a compeling reason why I should keep the 8.0 instead of going for the 6.5? Figure I'll ask before I zigzag from the 8.0.

Thanks again everyone!
That's part of the reason why I slowed my Alphas ASC down from 7.2 to 5.8. I can see why the faster ratio might be better for fishing streams with lots of brush and current, but it doesn't make sense for the bass/panfish techniques I use it for.
This is the way.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri May 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Ultralight, hope you enjoy the Alde BFS XG =D> . With BFS I am OK with fast ratios as lures are usually very small so almost all styles of lures incl crankbaits can easily be used with higher gear ratios. Maybe that is just me.

Aquaftm45, I broke down and ordered that Varivas rod :D . Not because of the low weight, which several rods offer, but because of the looks and mix of glass (65-70%) and 40T graphite. I wonder how the weight gets that low with all that glass. Have you used the rod or seen any reviews?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri May 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Btw. Varivas also have new Trout baitcast rods coming...

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:49 pm

Ill bet the 30mm ct ktf spool will be well under 7g and closer to around 5g. The avail aldebaran spool weighs 4.75g with bearing so im guessing the 30mm spool should be near that.

The stock steez ct sv spool weighs 9.38g with factory bearing on my scale and exceeded my expectations on both control and distance. Should be awesome with a true bfs spool.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:25 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:19 pm
Aquaftm, Have you used the rod or seen any reviews?
I haven't. I have come close to ordering it several times. The guy from Proshop K told me he would ship it at my own risk, despite that it comes in a case. Other venders said no worries. I take that it is pretty delicate. Stunning looking rod. The lure range is interesting 0-11 grams. I've never seen anyone list zero as a bottom end.

I lean your way ss...I think it will be closer to 5g than 7g. I just didn't want to speculate at a number that low. I have an SLP micro on my CT spool right now not only did it shave weight, it measurably improved the spools casting performance, bottom to top. That CRBB needs reserved for the Morethan and the like.