Corto prototype 6'1" review

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Corto prototype 6'1" review

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:46 am

I bought the rod on recommendations from here. It's the GNCPS-612L-HS model for clarity as the range of rods is quite confusing.

The rod arrived in the week and I had my first chance to use it this morning. Very impressed. It has a very crisp high modulus blank and it built with the very light single legged torzite guides. The tip, I believe, is spliced and it's extremely fine, the rod transitions into a very decent backbone and the action would be considered fast, or even extra fast due to the spliced tip. The sensitivity is extraordinary. I was using 0.06mm braid and a 3lb maxima ultra green leader and casting small baits, ranging from a big bite baits crappie minnow on a 1.5g head to a crazy fish whitebait on a size 14 fly jig hook with a 4mm tungsten bead. It casts pretty well for the kind of ranges I need on the canal. 30ft being far enough in most cases, so even the little bait would make that easily enough. I expect that with some light nanofil or gliss it would cast even better as the line was the thing reducing the casting distance.

I was easily able to feel the little pecks of microscopic perch pecking at even the 0.8" whitefish bait without getting hooked, they were that small! :lol: The tendency was to snatch the lure away from the fish as the sensitivity was so good, so I had to control myself to keep going until the rod loaded up. I didn't have anything big this morning, other than a few sticks, but the fish I did catch were dealt with easily by the rod's backbone, the little 1003 reel's drag ticking away nicely. I look forward to fishing with it much more as it does the job I need it to do admirably. Many thanks for the recommendation. I got the rod from Amazon.co.jp as I thought the price they advertised included the taxes and duty, but unfortunately I was wrong and it ended up costing me nearly $100 more than I had expected. That aside I'm very pleased with it.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Corto prototype 6'1" review

Post by ultralight » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:48 pm

Super. Thanks for the review!

If you have a scale that weighs in grams, I'd love to know its actual weight.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:46 pm

Congrats on the rod. Owning a high end Graphiteleader rod is very satisfying. It may be a while but I'm wanting another one...LOL.

Regards

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:30 am

55g according to the kitchen scales

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:30 am