BFS rods: JDM v CDM

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

BFS rods: JDM v CDM

Post by Allsorts » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:54 am

I've just been playing with one of the better known CDM (China Domestic Market) BFS rods, the Kingdom Micro Expert 632UL. Having now used JDM 'bass' style BFS as well as native trout game BFS rods, I think I would be safe in suggesting that we consider CDM BFS rods as a new BFS rod style rather than just an alternative source for BFS rods.

For more information, including reviews, I've found the BCSG channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Smackiecvc/videos provides lots of useful input on some of the CDM BFS rods, like the Tsurinoya Proflex 2 for example - a rod that has also been mentioned on this board.

Recent experience with a Smith Be Sticky 5'7" UL suggests that lighter end of the Native style BFS rods are great for accuracy with UL lures but, perhaps unsurprisingly, they are pretty soft from a fish-fighting point of view. I know that big fish have been caught on this style of rod but if one hooks a 2lb smallie in fast current, the experience will not be a pleasant one unless you prefer having no control and flat sticking your fish in. Ditto in still water when you have to lift a bulldogging fish from a deeper water.

For tight streams and trout reliably around 12-14", great fun though.

This where the CDM BFS rods potentially fit in. What sets the Micro Expert and Proflex 2 apart (amongst others) is that they combine a fast action, closer to a JDM BFS 'bass' rod (although lighter power) with a fairly soft solid tip which provides excellent UL casting potential with sufficient backbone to deal with bigger fish. The solid tip is really interesting in that because of its extreme flexibility and fast recovery, it is actually better at casting UL lures than almost any hollow tip. A relatively short 15-16" solid graphite tip (that can handle lures weighing less than the most UL-capable BFS reel can actually cast) can now be attached to a fast action blank with some backbone.

As always, there are trade offs. The casting action is not quite as smooth as a well designed hollow tip rod as the solid tip loads very quickly. I found I had to slow down my casting action, less whip, more push because the solid tip almost loads itself.

Guide count is important as the rods tend to have a moderate action when under pressure an so line touching the blank is an issue. The Kingdom has 9 guides which is 2 less than needed IMO whereas the Proflex 2 has 11.

Given the soft tip, 3-5g lures that require a straight retrieve with no rod action are better suited to this style of rod - spoons, spinners, micro-cranks. At least for the Kingdom, I would happily use small jerkbaits, SPs or poppers that need rod action but weighing max 3g.

This rod style tends to be 6' or longer so better suited to open water casting than trying to pick apart tight cover with accurate casts.

I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts on the CDM BFS style rods.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: BFS rods: JDM v CDM

Post by Edward78 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:47 am

I have used a few Tsurinoya rods the dexterity, Dragon and the ProFlex II. I also have 3 Kuying Teton rods and I feel when fishing them and looking at them you wouldn't think its a Chinese produced product. For the money IMHO hands down the best BFS rod value out there comes from China.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:23 am

Thanks for this, I’ve been looking at other rods as I really like the native trout rods. I did part with my short BST rods and picked up the Tenryu Rayz as it reminds me of old graphite has good action but requires slower strokes to load properly.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:12 am

I started with a Kuying Teton 662L (which I think was the gateway for a lot of the CDM BFS users). It has been a fun rod, great for small cranks and moving baits. I was a little disappointed in how it handled jigs. This led me to look for more of a BASS style BFS as you mentioned. I also followed Brian's (BCSG) lead and tried out the Tsurinoya Proflex II 632UL. The Teton 662L has more of a moderate fast taper, while the Proflex 632UL is a much faster tip. I fish 10# J-braid grand and it does great (just watch your drag). the Proflex is definitely better with mini jigs and swimbaits.

I have been pushing the edge of the rods lure range as of late, I have been using the 2.4" 6.5g megabass dark sleeper and both rods cast and work them great!

these BFS setups have made fishing FUN again in a way that's hard to describe. It's like being a kid and catching gills with an UL spinning setup, except I have the cast control and advantages of a baitcaster!

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=39058&start=1365#p652016

I have caught a couple of 6# bass (ton of 2-5# fish on average) and a couple of 7# cats and even a 10# carp this year on BFS. both the Teton and the Proflex did great on the <4# fish. the 5+ fish have been a challenge, but a ton of fun!

FYI, I like the Proflex so much, I ended up buying three and have them available for friends to fish BFS with me (I was tired of their envious looks as I was catching fish)...
Last edited by vishus on Mon May 06, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Thu May 02, 2019 2:15 pm

I have a Tsurinoya Pro flex 632UL. First impressions I was blown away, I never expected a CDM rod to be this well built. I use mine with a custom Alphas type F for bass and panfish.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Thu May 02, 2019 10:50 pm

So I messed around with the Kingdom Micro Expert 632UL a friend brought back for me (we do some business with Kingdom). Rod looks good, workmanship is ok, bit too much epoxy but neat enough. The solid tip was really noodly but does allow casting of lighter lures than my Smith Be Sticky 5'7". Good backbone and reasonable taper, mid-fast I'd say. Guide count is too low at 9, even 11 wouldn't be quite enough with the soft tip. Metal trigger seat, wood insert with reel seat hoods having a plastic lining to protect reel foot - a nice touch at this price point.

My main gripe is the the build took no account of the rod's very distinct spine, quite irritating since it takes about 2 seconds to mark and build to the spine. Overall, I didn't really like it - a mate bought it to play with. After some casting he lopped off about 4" and redistributed the guides. He told me he literally tied an overhand knot in the solid tip and couldn't break it. In it's new guise it's quite a handy little rod but not one I could get excited about. Based on what I have read and seen, the Proflex 2 looks like the pick of the litter. An acid wrap would make sense on this style of rod, pity I'm too lazy to do it...