Kuying SuperLite Ajing

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Kuying SuperLite Ajing

Post by Knotty » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:54 pm

In an effort to understand different options and methods of ultralight fishing, I've been accumulating rods by Kuying (because they're affordable and good quality) and currently have 5 in my quiver. One of the newest and most different is the SuperLite Ajing SAS762S. A 7'6" medium fast action rod rated for .6-10 g lures and 2-6 # line.

Today I took it on it's first outing to what I call a "duck pond" which is typically a small pond, in a town park, with a good perimeter around it for bank access. It only recently iced out but the crappie are biting. Lure of choice was a bison [correction: bulldog] colored Trout Magnet on a a 1/32 oz TM jig head (inspired by Alphahawk). Line was 4# Berkley Nanofil. The reel, a Shimano NASCI 1000 series.

First cast went way left (the rod is longer and faster action than I'm accustomed to) but still produced a small crappie. I have other medium fast rods but the SuperLite feels more like fast or extra fast to me, but I'm no expert. It would take a number of casts before I'd adjust to the rod. The goal was to cast as far as possible, since that's where most of the crappier were, and twitch the TM back. I think the rod did a great job with this technique. Sensitivity was a good bit better than any other Kuying rod I have and I could feel most every take, except if it was on a pause/fall. Doubt sensitivity is on the level of higher end JDM ajing rods but at least this lets me determine if I like ajing rods at all. Never fished this method before and really enjoyed it.

Ended up catching and releasing about 15 crappie. The one below was typical. I'm looking forward to more experimenting with this rod.

Last edited by Knotty on Sat May 11, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Kuying SuperLite Ajing

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:06 pm

Congrats on your catch. I still remember vividly the first Ajing rod I ordered.....a Major Craft SkyRoad. Didn’t know what to think when I took it out of the tube. But once I fished with it I knew I wanted another one....LOL.

Regards

nstd
Angler
Angler

Post by nstd » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:44 pm

do you have the solid tip or the hollow tip?

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:58 am

nstd wrote:do you have the solid tip or the hollow tip?
It's the solid tip. My first rod with that feature.

Here are some pics of the rod and my first pickerel on this setup.

nstd
Angler
Angler

Post by nstd » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:55 pm

the purpose of the solid tip is more sensitivity?

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:28 pm

nstd wrote:the purpose of the solid tip is more sensitivity?
Solid tip rods work soft plastics on the fall and some of them can work small plugs....cranks....but generally speaking the tubular tips are better for plugs.....heavier spoons and such. But the tubular is also very good at working jigs also. In my opinion solid tip rods give me a much better hook up while working a soft plastic. When fish take in the jig the solid tip is so soft the fish may not even feel it. If you check out some of my crappie videos on my Youtube channel you will see me catching crappie and I never set the hook.....they hook themselves. I’m using a solid tip Tict Ice Cube Finesse model. I have an Ice Cube Rockin’ Drift rod that the complete upper section is solid. I don’t miss fish with those rods as the fish hook themselves.....and that’s a good thing. If you watch a little of this video you will see I feel the fish and just reel.

https://youtu.be/L9guYE9kcCU

Regards

nstd
Angler
Angler

Post by nstd » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:14 am

Are you going to review the kuying on YouTube? Your vids are very informative.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:34 pm

nstd wrote:Are you going to review the kuying on YouTube? Your vids are very informative.
You might be confusing Alphahawk and me. I’ve done YouTubes but not on rods. That’s Randy’s forte but I doubt he owns a Kuying SuperLite. That would be like slumming for him (no offense intended).

Here’s a big pickerel I caught from a kayak with the rod and a Trout Magnet. Was a heck of a fight on 4# but the SuperLite has plenty of backbone.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:17 pm

Knotty wrote:
nstd wrote:Are you going to review the kuying on YouTube? Your vids are very informative.
You might be confusing Alphahawk and me. I’ve done YouTubes but not on rods. That’s Randy’s forte but I doubt he owns a Kuying SuperLite. That would be like slumming for him (no offense intended).

Here’s a big pickerel I caught from a kayak with the rod and a Trout Magnet. Was a heck of a fight on 4# but the SuperLite has plenty of backbone.

No I don’t consider that slumming. It’s a good looking rod. The thing about high end JDM rods...as I was told same thing before I ever get my first one.......they’re so good you just can’t put them down once you get one. That is the absolute truth. Then you wonder just what rods on up the line are like....such as high end Graphiteleader rods. It truly is a curse. I have no experience with the Kuying Rods at all....but it wouldn’t surprise me that it is a much better rod than a same priced US domestic market rod. I find it insane that a 150 dollar rod sold in the US doesn't use Fuji reel seats and Fuji frames with Sic inserts.

Regards

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:31 am

Last weekend I took as lightest setup Kuying Superlite SAC762S: Casting 7’6”(2.28m) Lure:0.6-10g with ct Alphas. I used both KTF spool and RCSB CT SV700 spools. Setup was pretty great for UL fishing from boat in distance casting mind. With RCSB CT SV700 I had a little difficulties in lightest lures and therefore I changed to KTF. Casting performance was pretty great. KTF 'Kahen' (sv) brake made great work! Also action of this tip soft - bottom heavy was nice in this kind of fishing. I used mostly 4 g crankbait and 6 g spinner. Casting distances was great, it would be needed very good spincast setup for same distances at least with relatively strong braided lines which I used. Also setup was nice with fishes, which very plenty of, but very small, perches and pikes. I didn't get any fish with heavier setups.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:31 am
Last weekend I took as lightest setup Kuying Superlite SAC762S: Casting 7’6”(2.28m) Lure:0.6-10g with ct Alphas. I used both KTF spool and RCSB CT SV700 spools. Setup was pretty great for UL fishing from boat in distance casting mind. With RCSB CT SV700 I had a little difficulties in lightest lures and therefore I changed to KTF. Casting performance was pretty great. KTF 'Kahen' (sv) brake made great work! Also action of this tip soft - bottom heavy was nice in this kind of fishing. I used mostly 4 g crankbait and 6 g spinner. Casting distances was great, it would be needed very good spincast setup for same distances at least with relatively strong braided lines which I used. Also setup was nice with fishes, which very plenty of, but very small, perches and pikes. I didn't get any fish with heavier setups.
Glad to hear about you're experiences with the casting version of the Superlite. I too was curious about ajing baitcasting and bought a 6'6" Major Craft Nano ajing. The rod is excellent but I'm undecided if ajing with BFS reels offers any advantage over spinning. I'm usually fishing light jig heads with soft plastics.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:05 am

I think main difference in Ajing baitcasting vs. spinning is feeling. If managed to use effortlesly, feeling with baitcaster is very good. If it is nothing but effortlesly, feeling is very frustating.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:43 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:05 am
I think main difference in Ajing baitcasting vs. spinning is feeling. If managed to use effortlesly, feeling with baitcaster is very good. If it is nothing but effortlesly, feeling is very frustating.
Not sure I understand, perhaps because of Finnish to English translation issues? I would think both rods feel the same and the difference would be in casting, with spin handling the lower weights better.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:43 am

As 'feeling' I don't mean feel is more sensitive or not with spinning gear or baitcasting. I mean feeling overall, total control of line / bait all the time. Direct line control is the thing for me. And with quality lightweight baitcasting setup this feeling is very satisfying for me.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:53 pm

Now I understand. Makes sense. Thanks.