Native trout style rod for small bass and panfish?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Native trout style rod for small bass and panfish?

Post by Houndfish » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:59 pm

My wife has never been super interested in fishing but likes to come wading for smallmouths with me a few times a year. The other week she stumbled on the Enjoy Fishing Channel on youtube and though it was the coolest thing ever and that she wanted to learn to cast like that. She really wants a tiny round reel and did not seem excited about using one of my Pixys. Of the UL-capable round reels out there the Conquest BFS seems like the most reasonable choice and she likes the raw metal look. We went to a pond the other day with my Teton UL/Pixy and she was getting into it but is really fixated on getting a round reel and it's not like I would be sad to have a Conquest BFS around the house.

This leaves me with what to do about the rod. Most of the places we will be fishing will be smaller rivers for smallmouths and panfish. Most of the smallies will be in the 8-12" range with the lower end of the spread being far more common. She seems into the idea of using spoons and inline spinners and maybe, once she "masters" casting, using some small plugs. I use a ton of 1/8oz spoons and spinner already for white perch fishing so would like to stick to those sizes. Am I off-base in thinking most any native trout rod will work for small bass and panfish using these lures, or do they really work better with heaver plugs? I have been hunting around for the "perfect" 1/8oz spinner rod for a while but never really settled on anything.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Native trout style rod for small bass and panfish?

Post by CM_Stewart » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:03 am

I can't comment on "almost any" but all the native trout rods I've fished with would do just fine for small bass and panfish. One eighth ounce lures are in the range for all them. Right in the sweet spot for some and on the lower end for others, but all I've fished with could cast them well.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:53 am

CM_Stewart wrote:I can't comment on "almost any" but all the native trout rods I've fished with would do just fine for small bass and panfish. One eighth ounce lures are in the range for all them. Right in the sweet spot for some and on the lower end for others, but all I've fished with could cast them well.
Ok, cool. I was looking at ones in the $200ish range with the Trout One and the Wise Stream rods being the two I am most interested in. I think a mulitpart rod would be a good idea as she uses hiking poles so being able to easily store the rod in her pack would be nice and would keep me from having carry it across rough ground.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:20 am

Those might be fine, not sure I would recommend my Smith rods for that kind of use. What length are you looking for?

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:38 am

Craigthor wrote:Those might be fine, not sure I would recommend my Smith rods for that kind of use. What length are you looking for?
I think something in the 5' range would be ideal. I am wanting the easiest casting experience possible for her, so I think shorter will be better. I have been looking for a similar rod but for light inshore fishing and it's hard to find videos of a given rod being used with lures at the lighter end of the range.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:58 am

I would like to be able to cast like the gentleman from Enjoy Fishing Channel.

I have a Conquest BFS, which I love. For very lightweight lures, a light aftermarket spool helps (I use the KTF).

I also have a Wise Stream, the 62LB-3, which I am also very happy with. Still, maybe Enjoy Fishing Channel guy uses some even softer rods for his particular casting style. I haven’t really noticed which rods he uses.

I have landed around 3 sea run brown trout of about 6.5 pounds from streams on the Wise Stream, which was no issue. I have never had the joy of catching smallmouth bass, but I definitely feel that searun trout fight harder than largemouth bass, so I think the rod will be up to the challenge.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:01 am

Houndfish wrote:
Craigthor wrote:Those might be fine, not sure I would recommend my Smith rods for that kind of use. What length are you looking for?
I think something in the 5' range would be ideal. I am wanting the easiest casting experience possible for her, so I think shorter will be better. I have been looking for a similar rod but for light inshore fishing and it's hard to find videos of a given rod being used with lures at the lighter end of the range.
I’d recommend the Tenryu Rayz Spectra would work great though it is only a 2pc rod.

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:15 am

The Rayz Spectra is a wonderful rod but it only comes in spinning models.

The Daiwa 45 ULB-3 is very convenient to pack because it is a 3 piece rod, but it is nowhere near as flexible as the rods she saw on the Enjoy Fishing channel. It is also out of stock, probably until early March.

The Shimano Trout One NX B50UL is a bit softer (and I think it is nicer in every way except portability) and is in stock.

I just discovered another 2-piece rod in the same length and price range but I have not actually seen one. I may have to order one for myself to see what it's like. I'll keep you posted.
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:40 pm

Dalleinf wrote:I would like to be able to cast like the gentleman from Enjoy Fishing Channel.

I have a Conquest BFS, which I love. For very lightweight lures, a light aftermarket spool helps (I use the KTF).

I also have a Wise Stream, the 62LB-3, which I am also very happy with. Still, maybe Enjoy Fishing Channel guy uses some even softer rods for his particular casting style. I haven’t really noticed which rods he uses.

I have landed around 3 sea run brown trout of about 6.5 pounds from streams on the Wise Stream, which was no issue. I have never had the joy of catching smallmouth bass, but I definitely feel that searun trout fight harder than largemouth bass, so I think the rod will be up to the challenge.
Man I have not caught anything that big on mine yet. :? She is one of my favorite rods since I got it from Chris. I can't wait to put some smallmouths on it in the spring.

Wpeart7
Angler
Angler

Post by Wpeart7 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:54 pm

I just bought a Daiwa Wise Stream 45UL3 and it is a broomstick for an "ultralight". Actually prefer the action of my 20 dollar Bass Pro Microlite 4'10 glass rod more.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:34 pm

Wpeart7 wrote:I just bought a Daiwa Wise Stream 45UL3 and it is a broomstick for an "ultralight". Actually prefer the action of my 20 dollar Bass Pro Microlite 4'10 glass rod more.
I have a BP Microlite casting rod that's rated down to 1/32 oz. It's so stiff I think a 1/16 rating might be to low. Could the Daiwa Wise Stream actually be stiffer?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:52 pm

Houndfish wrote:
CM_Stewart wrote:The Rayz Spectra is a wonderful rod but it only comes in spinning models.

The Daiwa 45 ULB-3 is very convenient to pack because it is a 3 piece rod, but it is nowhere near as flexible as the rods she saw on the Enjoy Fishing channel. It is also out of stock, probably until early March.

The Shimano Trout One NX B50UL is a bit softer (and I think it is nicer in every way except portability) and is in stock.

I just discovered another 2-piece rod in the same length and price range but I have not actually seen one. I may have to order one for myself to see what it's like. I'll keep you posted.
Houndfish, The Trout One CM_Stewart suggested would be a safe choice. Although I have not used it, I have done a ton of research on it. It is priced pretty darn well at 200 bucks. Another plus is that it can be shipped from the US. This is the next BFS rod I will get if I decide to add yet another BFS rod to my lineup.

The rods the guy on Enjoy Fishing Channel uses are high-end JDM rods like Casket. His rods are usually a VERY high quality glass or at least glass blend. He tends to overload the rod wen he is casting. Operating at the high end of whatever rod you plan on getting will be key to those casts as well as having a slower tapered rod.

I have an XUL BFS rod that I use for small trout. I absolutly love it but, it is pretty limited because it is so weak. I do not suggest it because a smallie bigger than 6in will treat that rod like Bluto treats Popeye...with no spinach in sight. That Trout One should be a killer rod for the small spoons, plugs and even jigs that you plan to use.

On a side note, you are lucky to have someone demand a highly refined round BFS reel such as the Conquest.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:50 am

Knotty wrote:
Wpeart7 wrote:I just bought a Daiwa Wise Stream 45UL3 and it is a broomstick for an "ultralight". Actually prefer the action of my 20 dollar Bass Pro Microlite 4'10 glass rod more.
I have a BP Microlite casting rod that's rated down to 1/32 oz. It's so stiff I think a 1/16 rating might be to low. Could the Daiwa Wise Stream actually be stiffer?
Is yours the graphite version or the yellow glass one? The new series with unpainted blanks ate said to be over powered compared to the previous gen IM6 blanks.
This is the way.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:19 am

poisonokie wrote:Is yours the graphite version or the yellow glass one? The new series with unpainted blanks ate said to be over powered compared to the previous gen IM6 blanks.
It's a newer graphite, purchased Spring 2018. The MIL60MLT

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pr ... 10302233-1

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:11 am

Ah, yes. It's a bummer about the changes they made to those. These were much nicer IMHO. This is the 66ML, but I also have the 66UL and it's an awesome rod for $60.

Here's a kicker I caught with the UL...

This is the way.