Should I go BFS?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Should I go BFS?

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:52 pm

I've gotten into stream trout fishing in a big was the last year. Lifelong bass and walleye angler on all different types of water. Although I do enjoy trout fishing with a baby pole(spinning rod), there were times on the stream when I desired the control and accuracy that comes with a bait caster. Seeing a laydown log or tangle or roots, and knowing that placing the spinner in the exact right spot is the only way to entice the big brown trout out of his hidey hole. The lures I throw range from 3.5 grams up to 15 grams. With spinning rods I throw either a medium or medium-light action. The baby reels I own right now are CH50Es and CH50mgs. I did buy a pair of the $40 ZPI bearings which I couldn't tell any difference at all over shimano stock bearings, but now if I set up a BFS rig, I can throw them in there, so maybe there's a good use for them after all. Are all BFS rods made in Japan only? I was looking for one that won't break the bank. Probably a 6 footer in light or medium light. For the reels I mentioned are there still BFS spools available? I'm not sure if I'll need one or not. I'll probably run with 10lb. mono or 10lb. braid. I know this post runs all over the place, but thanks for helping me figure this out.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Should I go BFS?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:01 am

There are plenty of spool options for the CH50E, not too sure on the MG. BFS is really good for those tight stream situations.

You do have experience using a baitcaster so, that is a plus. Remember to not be overconfident and expect similar distances with bass gear. Start out slow and work your way up. Use the brakes. Many people gauge their ability by how few brakes they use. Do what actually works for you.

The rod plays a lot into casting. A 6ft rod could get troublesome in stream situations. Factor in the brush younwill be walking through and, any obstructions that may be in your way. I am 6'1 and I still like a short for for stream work. Being able to cast "underhand" (not pitching) will be a great tool, kinda like a sidearm but closer to your body.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:35 am

Short answer: Yes.
This is the way.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:37 am

To me BFS uses lures under 1/4 oz (7.1g) down to a little less than 1/16 oz (1.8g). Your lure range, 3.5-15 g, has you all the way up to 1/2 oz. While a BFS reel won't have any problem with that, it's outside the range of most BFS rods. Also, light lines are needed to effectively toss light lures, so generally under 6#.

If you're not going down to 1/16 oz much, a cheap BFS reel to start with is the Tsurinoya XF-50 available on Aliexpress. Just be sure to select the "Low Profile Reel" version. At $60 bucks delivered it's a great deal. For rods, check out the Kuying Teton line, also on Aliexpress in the $60 range. I paired my XF-50 reel with a TTC-662L, . At 6'2" it's less than ideal for streams but it's been a great rod on lakes. An option for streams is the TTC-50FUL (5', 1-7 g, 2-6# line) but that might be too light for you.

For me the Tsurinoya + Kuying combo was a way to test the BFS concept on the cheap. Loved it so much that I moved up to an Aldebaran BFS HG and now I'm looking for a JDM rod as well.

Hope that helps.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:17 am

Absolutely go bfs. Its loads of fun casting bitty baits with casting gear. For me BFS has a few advantages over spinning gear: no line twist, faster follow up casts and to be able more accurately control how hard the lure hit the water. If I were you I'd grab a spool for the 50e, the avail spools have been the lightest in my experience and there are a few depth options you can pick from. I've personally used both the 936rr and the 918tr, the 936 could cast down 2g baits, the 918tr will go down to 1g effectively.

10lb braid will work but 10lb mono or flouro is too thick for good performance. I usually cap my line size to 6lb mono diameter for true bfs.

I'm not sure how wooded or open the streams you fish are, I wade my streams and have a little more room to cast than someone fishing a tight, heavily wooded stream. My bfs rods range from 6'1" to 7'1" and they work well for where I fish. Some good rods in the $200 range are the edge inshore 6"6" L, megabass hyuga 6'4" L, jackson super trickster 6'3" UL or 6'4" L (these are hard to find now), and some of the lighter powered phenix rods (feather, recon) and the st croix legend inshore 6'6" XL (discontinued but pop up from time to time). I have a 6'1" custom trout rod built off a phenix trout blank, it was a little more than $200 but custom is always another option if you know exactly what you're after.

For larger 10lb mono flouro setups which i consider more power finesse, I have 2 setups, one is a scorpion 70xg on a 6'6"ML poison adrena with 10lb red label. The other is my custom daiwa pixy modified for the 33mm cosugi works spool on a 6'5" L daiwa cronos rod, also with 10lb red label. Lightest ill go on these setups is 3.5-5g and up to about 7-8g.