Good crappie rod?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Good crappie rod?

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:09 pm

Looking to try a new fishery- Crappie. Not to big in my area sounds like the largest are 12" while most average 10".
I have a large variety of quality trout rods but looking for 2-4# crappie sticks for throwing light jigs. I have a kuying Teton 642UL which i think will work nice but any advice appreciated. Will probably buy 3-4 so would like to keep price under $150 each.
Reels? I have several stradic 1000 and tatula but would love to try the Soare ci4 500.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Good crappie rod?

Post by ultralight » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:13 pm

I had the Soare 500 CI4 in hand to check out. Never fished it. Liked it but I prefer size 1000. You are not saving much weight but the spool size difference can be significant. I think the 1000 performs better than 500 but that is just my opinion...:)

As to rods, everyone has their own opinions but I would personally take two $300 rods over four $150 rods. Or even just one $400 rod....:) Hope you don't mind the interaction that is not quite exactly what you asked about.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:21 pm

I typically wouldn't mind the 1000 size reels. If bobber fishing, I step up to next size up reels, maybe even 4000 size if needing to bomb a big bobber.

Smaller waters, easily a 6' rod or shorter anywhere from UL to ML in power. Longer casting 7' rods or longer.

Sometimes I only need a 2' bobber drop. Sometimes it's 15-20' slip bobber rig.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:40 am

ultralight wrote:I had the Soare 500 CI4 in hand to check out. Never fished it. Liked it but I prefer size 1000. You are not saving much weight but the spool size difference can be significant. I think the 1000 performs better than 500 but that is just my opinion...:)

As to rods, everyone has their own opinions but I would personally take two $300 rods over four $150 rods. Or even just one $400 rod....:) Hope you don't mind the interaction that is not quite exactly what you asked about.
I just cannot bring myself to spend over $300 for a rod to catch such tiny fish which come to the boat so quickly. No problems spending $600 on a salmon or steel head set up......... :shock:
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish