Anyone make short glass UL casting rods?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Wpeart7
Angler
Angler

Anyone make short glass UL casting rods?

Post by Wpeart7 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:59 pm

So I've got to admit I got a super hard on for one of Anglo's glass stream rods after seeing that casting video post here. Guy is using a 4'11 3 piece glass casting rod rated for 1-5g to throw minnow plugs in tight mountain streams. I've done some research and apparently Anglo's glass rods are made with Tenryu blanks, which of course aren't listed anywhere on the entire internet or available to the public. But there's the small matter of the rod running about $800. There's plenty of graphite options but I love glass because of the moderate action and durability. I have a Fenglass 7wt that has suffered unspeakable abuse including getting snatched out of the back of my pickup at 40mph and being shut in a truck door without breaking.

It seems like the only options for a 5' or less glass casting rod with an UL rating are Bass Pro's $20 micro lite rod or to build up something on a Batson or Seeker blank. Am I missing any options?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone make short glass UL casting rods?

Post by Tim Kelly » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:00 pm

Fly rod blanks?

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:33 pm

Though not glass the Smith Be Sticky Trout acts glass like with lots of flex and loading. I would love an Anglo but couldn’t bring myself to spend the money sight unseen.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:55 pm

CTS in New Zealand can probably custom make a blank for you. Apparently pricing is not too bad. As I recall the guy to contact is Stephen Pratt. They roll fly and conventionsl rods in graphite and do lots of work with S Glass.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:10 pm

If you want a glass type feel with carbon fiber blanks, you can:
1. Select cheaper blanks in the first place as they are lower modulus and heavier.
2. use heavier guides, wraps and finish. You may be surprised how much weighing down the blank can change the feel towards a more 'fiberglass' feel. Of course, carbon fiber won't have the toughness of fiberglass but solid carbon fiber is very tough.

3. CTS - let us know how that goes if you go that route. I've not found them to be low cost by any stretch but I'm sure they do excellent work.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:17 pm

Wpeart7 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:59 pm
So I've got to admit I got a super hard on for one of Anglo's glass stream rods after seeing that casting video post here. Guy is using a 4'11 3 piece glass casting rod rated for 1-5g to throw minnow plugs in tight mountain streams.
I think you mean Enjoy Fishing Channel's Fisherman (Saito?):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQAta ... Z6zmESV92w
Really nice casting in those video's!
Also I'm planning to get UL glass rod:
http://tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=85117
Adding weight (by coating and/or by guides) could be solution to make carbon rod to more like glass action.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:38 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:17 pm
Wpeart7 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:59 pm
So I've got to admit I got a super hard on for one of Anglo's glass stream rods after seeing that casting video post here. Guy is using a 4'11 3 piece glass casting rod rated for 1-5g to throw minnow plugs in tight mountain streams.
I think you mean Enjoy Fishing Channel's Fisherman (Saito?):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQAta ... Z6zmESV92w
Really nice casting in those video's!
Also I'm planning to get UL glass rod:
http://tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=85117
Adding weight (by coating and/or by guides) could be solution to make carbon rod to more like glass action.
Indeed, adding weight to a carbon rod will slow it down by reducing its power to weight ratio, and thus come closer to glass. However, it will still not feel quite like glass because there is still the difference in how the material stiffen up as it is flexed. My impression is that carbon fiber stiffen up more quickly than glass. Thus, glass gives a softer feel as it flexes. That said, some carbon fiber can feel more like glass I'm sure - probably the lower modulus fibers.

There are some fisherman who swears by fiberglass.

Interestingly, there is a Cabela fiberglass fly rod that is highly rated. So I got one and stripped it down - only to find that under its paint, it is really a carbon fiber blank - perhaps with glass added. It definitely was not a fiberglass blank - so I supposed some manufacturer can use carbon fiber to mimic glass blanks.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:15 am

ultralight wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:38 pm
Indeed, adding weight to a carbon rod will slow it down by reducing its power to weight ratio, and thus come closer to glass. However, it will still not feel quite like glass because there is still the difference in how the material stiffen up as it is flexed. My impression is that carbon fiber stiffen up more quickly than glass. Thus, glass gives a softer feel as it flexes. That said, some carbon fiber can feel more like glass I'm sure - probably the lower modulus fibers.

Interestingly, there is a Cabela fiberglass fly rod that is highly rated. So I got one and stripped it down - only to find that under its paint, it is really a carbon fiber blank - perhaps with glass added. It definitely was not a fiberglass blank - so I supposed some manufacturer can use carbon fiber to mimic glass blanks.
I think carbon flexes less than glass before it breaks, and because of that carbon stiffens before than glass. Also solid and thin blank like Tsurinoya Ares makes rod some kind feel of glass blank. Solid creates weight to rod and thin diameter allows rod to bend more (before it stiffens).

I think solid glass blanks might be ultimate solution, but those are diffucult to find. Yes, Anglo & Co. makes them for certain price...

Cabela carbon/glass rod... It is then 'composite' rod as they called those in 80's. But then those usually was made for carbon look but for price there was much glass. That Cabela rod obvious is 'composite' rod, but vice versa than in 80's.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:50 am

I found this the other day. Maybe worth a shot..?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_vawMP7

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:18 am

Nice finding. But freight for 1-piece rod is high. To my country shipping is almost twice more than blank price.. :(

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:40 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:50 am
I found this the other day. Maybe worth a shot..?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_vawMP7
I looked trough their shop. Actually thanks for very good link! Despite of high shipping cost, I may buy from them!

CM_Stewart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CM_Stewart » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:51 am

Daiwa Silver Creek Glass Progressive
4'6" UL baitcaster
Chris Stewart
(affiliations: TenkaraBum.com, Finesse-Fishing.com)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:46 pm

Thanks! 42'000 yen price - just purchaseable if really wanted. Shortest ones of those seems 'composite' rods - 31% carbon.

I looked mine UL baitcaster rods, actually I will 'gain' very little with glassfiber. So I might think a little more.
But actually I have purchased components for rod today. But not actually rod blank itself. Basically rod blank and palming reel seat are the only one missing...

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:01 pm

ultralight wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:38 pm

Are you talking about the CGR? I own those fly rods in multiple weights. Hard to believe it's not glass considering how soft it is. Doesn't even resemble the feel any carbon rod I've tried.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:04 am

CM_Stewart wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:51 am
Daiwa Silver Creek Glass Progressive
4'6" UL baitcaster
You gonna stock that one? I been on the fence of getting it. Doing a full review series and really breaking down the glass vs carbon topic in the process. Would make a sweet 7-14" trout rod.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing