2017 Finezza Prototype

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

2017 Finezza Prototype

Post by Alphahawk » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:29 pm

I received the Finezza Prototype today. The rod build is impeccable...just as I thought it would be. It seems every time I get a new rod I speak to how different it is....well....this one is different also. I have never had a tip on a rod to be as elastic as this. I am sure the high tech blank materials are the reason for this. The rod is not like any Mebaru rod I’ve purchased. The tip is very soft but the rod is very rigid and has some serious butt at 11.5mm in diameter. I will try and compare it to the 2 high end Mebaru rods I own. But I have to say I cannot compare this rod to the Tict Rockin’ Drift. The action and power are very different. The Tict Rockin’ Finesse may be closer in action and power but realistically I cannot compare it either. So.....I’m left with the dilemma figuring out my expectations and use for this rod. I will start out trying it on crappie and bluegill.....as this is the specie I have in mind when using a Mebaru rod. I am sure in the end it will fit somewhere very well in my arsenal of rods. Hoping to get out soon to give this one a workout.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2017 Finezza Prototype

Post by ultralight » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:43 pm

Just saw your video. Looking forward to your report. The action/taper is interesting - I would have guessed it was an Ajing rod if I did not know that it was specified as a Mebaru. Beautiful rod. My guess is that for a more gradual taper, their Area Rods may do that, though for 2 lbs test, the XUL is more appropriate in the Area Rod.

Thanks again for the video. Always enjoy catching them.

ps: By the way, 2.5 oz is 71 grams but of course, that depends on the accuracy of the scale.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Ok.....had the rod out trying to catch some fish. Our weather.....flooding.....has made it tough on an older man like me...LOL. I am wondering what to make of this rod. It is not like any Mebaru rod I have owned. I was wondering about the weight of the rod being at 68 grams and how sensitive the rod would be. The sensitivity is off the charts. I stuck 4 rainbow and landed 3. While they were only stocker fish in the 9 inch range they were extremely fat due to the abundance of Shad in the river and the numerous Shad kills that have been going on. When they hit it felt like a jolt of energy in the hand. The fish gave a good battle in the current. A lot more fishing is required for me to fully review this rod. I used it today to throw UL cranks also....it handled that just fine. This rod, IMHO......acts more like an Ajing rod than a Mebaru rod. I would say it is more in line with the crop of Ajing/Mebaru hybrids that are showing up now. Yet......the tip is very elastic. The rod casts great and am certainly not disappointed but did not expect the rod to be as it is. I expected it to be softer and not as fast. On the aesthetics of the rod....it is an understatement of beauty. While it is not flashy at all when you hold it, and look at it, you realize you are holding a fine piece of work. Will give more info once I’m able to get in more fishing time.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:09 am

Thanks. Love to see how this compare to the 2018 Corto, side by side. My guess is more similar than different compared to other rods but this is pure conjecture. I do still feel that the 18 Cortos may be among the best value - they are the lowest cost made in Japan Olympics and also the lightest total weight of their Ajing stable. (Some are out of stock apparently as they are selling so well - not sure when they will be manufactured again.) But the Finezza has top end Toray carbon fiber apparently, and thus perhaps more sensitive? You are probably the best poised to let us know eventually.... :D I am intrigued.