BFS Fluoro vs Braid Pros and Cons

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

BFS Fluoro vs Braid Pros and Cons

Post by Edward78 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:18 am

I'm sure this is discussed a lot and I did do a search but didn't find anything dedicated to this subject.

I have a few (To Many) BFS reels and I run 8lb PowerPro Braid with a Fluoro leader on all of them. Lately I have been considering running some Fluoro or even Mono on 1 or 2 of my reels. Whats could be the benefit with using line other than braid ?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: BFS Fluoro vs Braid Pros and Cons

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:35 am

I think most people here know I love braid and hate flouro. If I use something other than straight braid or conditions dictate that I use a leader, it is almost invariably sufix siege, elite or pro-mix.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 am

I'm not convinced fluoro has any advantage over mono in lighter strengths. Until you get to 8 or 10lb fluoro it doesn't seem to display the density advantages you get over mono as it's just so fine that the difference is negligible. From 8 or 10lb upward there are obvious advantages to fluoro for fishing sinking baits.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:28 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:I think most people here know I love braid and hate flouro. If I use something other than straight braid or conditions dictate that I use a leader, it is almost invariably sufix siege, elite or pro-mix.
I use 8lb Fluoro on my cranking setup and 8lb Mono on my Jerkbait setup but other than that I just go braid. I'm new to the BFS game and didn't know if I'm missing something and am always open to change

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:50 am

Straight braid works wonderfully for BFS. The only time I switch to mono/fluoro is during the coldest cold of winter.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:33 am

The the lightest stuff, braid will help with distance and much easier to pick out backlashes.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:46 am

Personal preference. I only use braid for my pricey top water plugs. I made the mistake of trying to switch up and use 4LB Yo Zuri Hybrid for this and I lost a Siglett because of it. I know that I would have got it back if I was using braid. For anything that goes underwater, I use Sniper FC.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:10 pm

Well, I guess I'll play the Devil's advocate and say that yes, you should definitely consider using 6# or lighter fluorocarbon on your bfs worm/jig combo. It sinks, so it helps keep your baits down, offers slack line sensitivity for dead sticking wacky worms, and offers much better abrasion resistance should you find yourself fishing light baits around cover. To me nothing beats the feel fluorocarbon provides for bottom contact techniques.
This is the way.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:10 am

Windy conditions...Fluorocarbon with it's weight will be less likely carried off by the wind.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:20 am

One con of flouro is it doesn't work well with bobbers as it sinks before it gets to the bobber and it really doesn't work with a slip bobber as the weight of the line sinking in front of the bobber keeps the bait from sliding down at all. So if you want to cast baits and use bobbers don't get fluorocarbon

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:05 am

poisonokie wrote:Well, I guess I'll play the Devil's advocate and say that yes, you should definitely consider using 6# or lighter fluorocarbon on your bfs worm/jig combo. It sinks, so it helps keep your baits down, offers slack line sensitivity for dead sticking wacky worms, and offers much better abrasion resistance should you find yourself fishing light baits around cover. To me nothing beats the feel fluorocarbon provides for bottom contact techniques.
I think I'm going to set up one of my reels with Fluoro, Right now for jigging I run 10ld Powerpro slick 8 with a 6' 6lb fluoro leader.

The Fisher King
Angler
Angler

Post by The Fisher King » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:01 pm

I throw 4lb and 5lb Sunline Sniper FC on my BFS casting setups with no problems.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:37 am

I’m pretty new to BFS and baitcasters and find braid easier to deal with. Casts farther, fewer birds nests and easier to clear when they do occur. I also wonder if the smaller line diameter balances out the lack of density compared to flouro when it comes to keeping a lure at a specific depth while retrieved? Would love so see a detailed analysis of that some day.

Recently respooled an Aldebaran BFS with 4# Yozuri hybrid. Will be changing it back to 8# PowerPro shortly.

TroutMcghee
Angler
Angler

Post by TroutMcghee » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:07 am

One of the biggest advantages of Flouro over mono is the abrasion resistance. Around rocks or heavy structure, the Flouro wins out every time. Flouro also has an extremely high resistance to UV light. Mono leader will break down over time with exposure to heat and UV light. I have had spoons of Flouro for almost 10 years that still have the same breaking strength as when I bought it and tested the strength. The cheaper Flouro lines that don’t say 100% Flouro are a mix of Flouro and mono (usually a Flouro coated mono core)

Braided lines can vary as much as the Flouro lines when it comes to consistency and strength. The weave and numbers of threads used is pretty significant when it comes to abrasion and strength. Just like Flouro, you get what you pay for.

I will usually run a combo of braided main with a true Flouro leader. I don’t ever run straight braid in case I need to break off.

Hope that helps. I know it’s late. Experiment with different set ups of line until you find the one that cast best and performs best for your fishing setup.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu May 02, 2019 7:13 am

For "braid", I was using 2lb Nanofil for a while. It casts nice, is strong and, served me well. I absolutely HATED tying leader knots in the field with it. I have switched to 3lb Sufix Nanobraid and it has been nice. Way easier to tie joining knots with. It takes a considerable amount of force to break it with a 4lb FC leader (relatively speaking). More force than Ill ever need trout fishing for sure.

As far as straight FC, Its been hit or miss. I like it for more traditional BFS uses. I had some problem using 7lb Sniper with a trout BFS setup. It was manageable but, not ideal for what I was doing. I bet I can move down to 5lb and be fine. It seems like using FC for BFS, you have to really match your line to your lures and such.

I have been killing it with 6lb Bass Pro FC on one of my trout BFS setups. I am throwing small hardbaits and couldn't be happier. I got about 20yds of FC on top of some thin braid. I hardly hit the braid but, I feel using only 20yds or so of FC helps keep it calm.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing