BFS Casting Motion - why not a full on 'whip'?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: BFS Casting Motion - why not a full on 'whip'?

Post by Craigthor » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:47 pm

The rod has a lot to do with loading the cast with the BFS Trout rods, just my experience with the BST I received.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:17 am

ultralight wrote:Thanks everyone. I hear you on the 'accuracy and control' part. but often, in wide open waters, the distance also matters a lot to reach fish that may be just outside of a ledge at the edge of casting distance. I am attracted by the accuracy and control part because I recently started visiting some waters where there are huge numbers of growth in the water - never lost so many jigs in my life when I start casting to 'dangerously overgrown' areas. :)
That's why there are so many screw drives (and you never have the right one at home) and what I say myself to justify the 3 dedicated bait-casting trout rods I have. Every rod has its place and you always find more places than the rods you own :doh: and reels and lures and lines

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:29 am

Craigthor wrote:The rod has a lot to do with loading the cast with the BFS Trout rods, just my experience with the BST I received.
And a rod that loads properly is a must in small streams.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:26 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Craigthor wrote:The rod has a lot to do with loading the cast with the BFS Trout rods, just my experience with the BST I received.
That i am learning. Hoping the 4’3” and 4’7” Be Sticky Trout rods will cover most of my needs on the small stream.

The Fisher King
Angler
Angler

Post by The Fisher King » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:01 pm

Hello, I am a BFS fisherman who has pondered the casting form and its differences in regards to conventional size rods and reels.

Here is my take on it.

I cast in a variety of ways based on several circumstances. Lets talk specifically of just a plain distance cast. I throw almost exclusively 1/8 Oz lures on my BFS setups, both L action and UL. I find that my style is not a "whip" or a wide wind up, but rather a "punch". These extremely light rods do all the work for you. A full wind up simply is not necessary. This "Punch" keeps forces almost completely linear, when coupled with a flick of the wrist, I cannon these 1/8 oz lures at least 30m-40m. Another aspect to the Rod discussion is the length. Being that most BFS rods are under 6ft and are UL to L action, this ads to the unnecessary need to get that rod beyond your 9 or 10 o' clock.

Now the Spool side aspect of casting and its relationship to the rod. My first time using a BFS reel was with an Aldebaran BFS Limited. Of course, being rather acquainted with the conventional way of "whipping" your lure throw the air, I tried to do so tuned in at 1/8th oz. Massive birds nests. Simply put, these spools require little force to get them moving.

These are delicate and sensitive tools that require a keen attention to detail. So, when casting and thinking about the "Punch", think of yourself as throwing a quick, calculated Jab instead of a wild Haymaker.

Glad to join the community and hope to meet some nice people and to contribute discussions.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:12 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Just shot a video covering this. Will have it up tomorrow. Got very little editing to do
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:23 am

Here is a video about BFS casting and some common problems people run into. Has a part about why full whipping hinders performance l.

https://youtu.be/S_fUpLxFdiM
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing