Recommend $100 UL Spin Rod for Minijigs and 2 lbs test?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Recommend $100 UL Spin Rod for Minijigs and 2 lbs test?

Post by ultralight » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:36 pm

A friend at church on a limited budget (married, baby, etc) is looking for a spinning rod for minijigs (rubber jigs with lead head) for $100. This is for wide open lakes so sensitivity and casting distance matters using 2 lbs test. I think that the ideal lenght for him is probably around 6 1/2 to 7 feet long, though I'd guess that anything 6 feet and up will probably work well.

He currently fish with a Bass Pro $30-40 rod and that rod is very limited in sensitivity. It's been a frustrating experience for him so far as his reel is also defective.

Anything goes - even used rods. I don't mind getting items from China or Ebay or any other legitimate source on his behalf.

Up to this point, I've been recommending the Fenwick River Runner Elite for $100 when I can find it on sale. Titanium guides, relatively crisp, good fast action with a belly that cushions 2 lbs gets.

What would you guys/gals recommend?

Thanks!

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Recommend $100 UL Spin Rod for Minijigs and 2 lbs test?

Post by uljersey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:47 pm

This place https://www.fishusa.com/ has one of the better domestic UL rod selections. They often run sales and specials, just have to keep an eye out for them. I've bought from them many times, never an issue. Use the filters to whittle the choices down to ultralight and you're halfway home.

Popfly
Angler
Angler

Post by Popfly » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:53 pm

Try this one: Major Craft CROSTAGE CRX-S702UL (2pc) - $99 & Free Shipping on Ebay from Digitaka hana.

Great rod for the price.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:14 pm

THanks. Keep the recommendations coming....:) Will check both suggestions now.

Alibaba has the Kuying TTS642UL - tubular, not solid top. But with Fuji KR concept guides and Toray carbon fiber and 65 grams (2.3 ounces) for a 6' 4". He could almost get two for the budget....:) Anyone tried this? (They have a 5' 10" solid top at 54 grams - sub 2 ounce but that's over $100 and a bit short for large lakes shore jigging.)

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:32 am

Sent you a PM the RR Elite is a decent rod but if you can get some JDM tech they are much better suited at those lighter weights.

UL Ace
Angler
Angler

Post by UL Ace » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:22 am

Majorcraft Trapara, comes in ul, xul and sul in a variety of lengths and won't break the budget. Troutshopjp has them the cheapest I've seen. Fuji guides and reel seat, very nice rod for the money and faster action than the Kuyings. I have one in 5 1/2 feet and love it.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:07 am

I second the Major Crafts. I haven't used their spinning rods, but their casting rods are great. Very well designed and built.
This is the way.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:24 am

I have a bunch of Major Craft rods. For the price point/value, I don't think you'll find anything close to them.
About the only one I didn't much care for was a 562 Trapara XUL. But then again I expected a little more backbone from it, it might be perfect for trout fishing.
I have a few kuying rods too, which I am also very fond of.