Ultralight casting goals...

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Ultralight casting goals...

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:25 am

JB in SC wrote:I've dropped $800 on a production fly rod, so that's not completely out of range for a custom rod. The 1500 series Abu's were always some of the best casting reels I'd ever used (I had five at one time) but they would need some bearing upgrades today. One common denominator in a lot of these videos is lure weight. They use 1/4 oz range minnow plugs and that does dampen the rod's action making it easier (IMO) to cast accurately.
I agree with lure weight for sure. The overloaded, parabolic rod helps a lot, as counter intuitive as it seems.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Yeah, went through some of the videos was hoping to see some casting lighter weighted lures. He seems to fish this rod at max most of the time.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:08 pm

Craigthor wrote:Yeah, went through some of the videos was hoping to see some casting lighter weighted lures. He seems to fish this rod at max most of the time.
Still sweet though. You see the video where he is cooking a prok stew? He has a sweet "pull start like" food chopper.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:41 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Craigthor wrote:Yeah, went through some of the videos was hoping to see some casting lighter weighted lures. He seems to fish this rod at max most of the time.
Still sweet though. You see the video where he is cooking a prok stew? He has a sweet "pull start like" food chopper.
I have not, I need to go back and watch more of his videos.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:54 am

Amazing casting skills but at 1/4 oz lure weight it falls outside my definition of UL.

Are 1/4 oz lures actually practical for that kind of pocket water? Honest question. Trying to learn.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:18 pm

Knotty wrote:Amazing casting skills but at 1/4 oz lure weight it falls outside my definition of UL.

Are 1/4 oz lures actually practical for that kind of pocket water? Honest question. Trying to learn.
Actually quite productive in small pocket water I’ll fish up to 6.5g with great results. Really triggers the active or aggressive fish. I’ll try to go into more tonite when I’m home.

Wpeart7
Angler
Angler

Post by Wpeart7 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:03 am

Does anyone make BFS spools or even lighter than stock spools for Ambassadeurs? That plus some ABEC 7 bearings seem like a good way to get BFS-ish reel on the cheap.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 am

Wpeart7 wrote:Does anyone make BFS spools or even lighter than stock spools for Ambassadeurs? That plus some ABEC 7 bearings seem like a good way to get BFS-ish reel on the cheap.
The 2500 series has a bunch of upgrades you can do, won’t say cheap but they are available

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:56 pm

Wpeart7 wrote:Does anyone make BFS spools or even lighter than stock spools for Ambassadeurs? That plus some ABEC 7 bearings seem like a good way to get BFS-ish reel on the cheap.
I have avail spools in my Amb 4601C3, Amb 5601 Ge Fan i vara vatten, Amb Mørrum 1601 and 3601.
These spools are light-ish and good for 3-4+ gram lures and less expensive than Zpi and KTF spools.
They are not that shallow and not true BFS. However, there are other options - especially if you are so lucky as to have an Amb 2500 series.
See
https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/phone/product-list/32

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:28 am

That is an impressive video, but he has fairly open targets with nothing around him most of the time when he is taking his rod back. I cut my teeth trout fishing small overgrown streams in California. I have always dreamed of having a stream as open as that guy has. Most of our fish are under 12 inches. I am forced to underhand cast (pitch) with ultralight spinning tackle because I fish much smaller baits and the growth is too heavy to even take the rod back. I love the way the rod he is using allows him to crouch and still cast without spooking the fish. That is some serious fish hunting.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:58 am

Those spools are expensive but cool in an old abu. You would be better of with a $30 spool and $16 micro bearings for a Black Max if you want cheap UL. You can put that combo together for under $100 and it will have an 8.7 g spool with bearing. You can go even cheaper than that with the Trulinoya XF50/51 reel for $50 total but the spool is a little heavier at 13 grams with bearing. An avail spool in an ambassador would be cool though.

Wpeart7
Angler
Angler

Post by Wpeart7 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:10 pm

LowRange wrote:
Those spools are expensive but cool in an old abu. You would be better of with a $30 spool and $16 micro bearings for a Black Max if you want cheap UL. You can put that combo together for under $100 and it will have an 8.7 g spool with bearing. You can go even cheaper than that with the Trulinoya XF50/51 reel for $50 total but the spool is a little heavier at 13 grams with bearing. An avail spool in an ambassador would be cool though.
Hah! It's funny you mentioned that because I just ordered a BFS spool off Aliexpress for a Black Max and a bearing kit based off an old post I saw you made.

I made that post originally about the Abu's based on what I remember the smaller ones going for years ago.. IE pretty cheap. I just saw what 2500's go for now and people have lost their damn minds :shock: And as much as I'd like to have a 2500 BFS'd out, I'd need a 2501 because I'm not weird handed and those things in good shape go for 5-600 bucks now. So onto the Black Max it is!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:30 pm

Wpeart7 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Hah! It's funny you mentioned that because I just ordered a BFS spool off Aliexpress for a Black Max and a bearing kit based off an old post I saw you made.

I made that post originally about the Abu's based on what I remember the smaller ones going for years ago.. IE pretty cheap. I just saw what 2500's go for now and people have lost their damn minds :shock: And as much as I'd like to have a 2500 BFS'd out, I'd need a 2501 because I'm not weird handed and those things in good shape go for 5-600 bucks now. So onto the Black Max it is!
I'd love to build a BFS vintage ambassador but they are pricy for the small reels. I'll get to it eventually.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:24 am

LowRange wrote: I'd love to build a BFS vintage ambassador but they are pricy for the small reels. I'll get to it eventually.
X2
And difficult to get a nice 2501/2601.
I wonder why they do not make the reels right now...

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:03 am

That is amazing skills, I can only dream