‘18 Corto Graphiteleader 6’10” Trip Report

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

‘18 Corto Graphiteleader 6’10” Trip Report

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:57 am

Got out for a bit this morning, figured I wouldn’t keep filling up Alphahawks’ post. Received my Corto from Ultralight and got the benefit of being on call for work so wasn’t able to take a road trip to fish. Instead I hit up the only urban trout stream in Iowa, McCloud Run and in the town where I reside. Water is gin clear, and super technical as the slightest visible movement shuts down the pool. Nothing big but lots of visible fingerling Browns moving around that I saw.

First thoughts was man this rod feels ultra stiff, first fingerling Brown was a holy cow the sensitivity and bend when it loaded up with even a small fish. I cast towards the top of the range at 6.5g and it launched clean into a tree had to cut the line and fight to get my spoon back. Moved to a the bottom end of the range and even 0.8g spoons were not an issue and getting good clean accurate casts. I was fishing with Sunline Small Game PE .4 which is equivalent to 6lb test, just out of the rods range but no issues were seen. I think this rod will quickly move to the top of the list as a favorite can’t wait to get some time where I know the bigger fish are at.

The one and only brought to hand:

How urban you say? Yup, that’s the main interstate through the city.

Just a couple runs...

All in all it makes me curious about some of the other rods Olympic offers.

Crappie Pro Wannabe
Angler
Angler

Re: ‘18 Corto Graphiteleader 6’10” Trip Report

Post by Crappie Pro Wannabe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:45 am

Thanks for the post and awesome photos!

Rustyfisher1508
Angler
Angler

Post by Rustyfisher1508 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:09 am

Amazing photos and spot! Looks really damn awesome!!

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:11 pm

Thanks all, makes me wish I could handle the Olympic Corto Nuovo Prototype for comparison.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:56 pm

Great write up and pics. As to the question of will the Corto Prototype be better I am betting you will be blown away how good it is. I only have one “big brother....little brother” set of rods to compare the difference...the Tict Ice Cube Rods. I love the Finesse but the Drift rod is in another world. I think you are going to find the same thing when you get the Prototype. I’m sure you knew I had the same feelings about the Corto being extremely rigid......yet it just gives into such a good bend even on smaller fish. I keep looking at the Corto......flexing the tip with my hand and then go and rewatch the video where I was catching the 7-8 ounce white bass. I look at just how it goes into a great curve and am amazed it does that. I’ve said it a thousand times but the Japanese are masters with graphite. The day I had mine out I had it spooled with nylon mono of .160mm diameter.....not the best line to be seeing how sensitive a rod is...yet I knew after the first fish. I’m hoping some water somewhere close becomes fishable soon. I am going to take the Corto out and test it out with the ester line. I guess I’m going to break down and get some of the same PE line you have. I know Chris at Finesse Fishing sells it on his site and I think he has also used it....but man it sure is expensive. But having said that.....I’ve ordered several items from Japan I thought was expensive but once I got the items in my hand I found them to be worth every dollar spent.

Regards

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:06 pm

Thanks, Chris may be out currently though I think he was getting more in as I wanted to grab another spool, may have to email him. I think the Nuovo Prototype will be one of my next purchases just have to figure out how I want to fund it. This I’m pretty sure will overtake my TenRyu Rayz Spectra but I want one more weekend out before I make any decisions unless a screaming deal comes up.

This rod was definitely a huge surprise as it feels like a steel rod until it gets a load on it. Can’t wait to see what an aggressive Brown does to it.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:07 pm

Looks fun. I've gone on two several hours trout trips so far with nothing to show for it. I'm still catching bass, though.
This is the way.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:26 pm

Following. :)

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Can't wait to get mine. Going to go after some trout at some local lakes here. Just haven't figured out a reel yet.
Thanks for sharing!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Just got this baby delivered. Boy is it xfast action.

Super light, and the tip of the blank is one of the thinnest i've ever seen. There is no doubt in my mind that this is going to be one sensitive rod.

I would be hesitant to yank it on a snag. Only light hooks and light line on this baby. Can't wait to take it out on the water.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:23 pm

I actually think that the rod is probably tougher than you may think - not to abuse, but to lifting against a fish. I would not be surprised if it can do a proper 6 lbs line though it is rated only up to 4 lbs. :)

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:39 pm

ultralight wrote:I actually think that the rod is probably tougher than you may think - not to abuse, but to lifting against a fish. I would not be surprised if it can do a proper 6 lbs line though it is rated only up to 4 lbs. :)
My short experience this is true, I got hung up pretty well in a tree with 6lb PE, I lost that battle though I got my spoon back with some help.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:04 pm

Good to know that it is more powerful than I thought. It is very interesting to see how the blank transitions flawlessly to a different tip.

It does seem ever so slightly tip heavy, after trying four of my current reels. I haven't found the perfect match yet. Might just go lighter with the reel and sacrifice a little balance. Don't get me wrong, I do understand it is an ultra light set up, and not a flipping stick. :lol: