Fishing line diameter

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
UL Ace
Angler
Angler

Fishing line diameter

Post by UL Ace » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:31 pm

When I shop for line I'm always on the lookout for small diameter for casting jigs 1/32 ounce or less.
I picked this up a Cabelas, how accurate do you think this is? I'll use it regardless, just curious on any thoughts.
Berkley Nano is the same diameter in two pound test and Sufix Nano is the same diameter in three pound test. This is Cabelas ripcord.
20190102_185614_crop_640x640.jpg
20190102_185614_crop_640x640.jpg (290.38 KiB) Viewed 6554 times

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fishing line diameter

Post by Craigthor » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Seems a little thin for 6lb test, though could be right on, short of testing the line. The PE .4 I use is Small Game PE-HG 6 lb (Japanese size .4 = .104mm = .004")

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:12 pm

Here’s a chart to show you diameter of mono lines......the Japanese standards.......and the US standard.....which is really not correct as far as breaking strength. For whatever reason most US domestic market lines break way over their rating. The diameter of 1# test mono is right at or around .090mm.

Regards

https://japantackle.com/japanese_silk/

UL Ace
Angler
Angler

Post by UL Ace » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:32 pm

Thanks, I've looked at that chart a few times in the past trying to decide on whether or not to pull the trigger on a 'PE' line.
I know all things JDM are usually of higher quality, just hard to justify $50-70 on line.
Is there any way to measure line diameter?

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:52 pm

UL Ace wrote:Thanks, I've looked at that chart a few times in the past trying to decide on whether or not to pull the trigger on a 'PE' line.
I know all things JDM are usually of higher quality, just hard to justify $50-70 on line.
Oh I’m sure there are some micro type calipers out there. I have used my digital calipers to meause some .160mm line and it was spot on.....but you get into the really small lines you can compress them too easily and it is not accurate. Japanese PE line is the last move I have to make in the line category. I’m using JDM ester....and JDM mono. Have not made the jump to PE yet.....hoping to soon. I need to buy either another reel....like I need an excuse....LOL.......or just get a spare spoool....but a spare spool for a Luvias or Certate is 100 bucks. Might just be better off to put that 100 to another reel.

Regards

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:28 pm

Alphahawk wrote:
UL Ace wrote:Thanks, I've looked at that chart a few times in the past trying to decide on whether or not to pull the trigger on a 'PE' line.
Oh I’m sure there are some micro type calipers out there. I have used my digital calipers to meause some .160mm line and it was spot on.....but you get into the really small lines you can compress them too easily and it is not accurate. Japanese PE line is the last move I have to make in the line category. I’m using JDM ester....and JDM mono. Have not made the jump to PE yet.....hoping to soon. I need to buy either another reel....like I need an excuse....LOL.......or just get a spare spoool....but a spare spool for a Luvias or Certate is 100 bucks. Might just be better off to put that 100 to another reel.

Regards
That $100 towards an Exist and you’ll never look at reels the same again once you get it in hand. Put some PE on it and it really shines.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:53 pm

Craigthor wrote:
Alphahawk wrote:

Regards
That $100 towards an Exist and you’ll never look at reels the same again once you get it in hand. Put some PE on it and it really shines.
I’ll get there..eventually.

Regards

Crappie Pro Wannabe
Angler
Angler

Post by Crappie Pro Wannabe » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Alphahawk, Do you know the breaking strength of the trout sos 4lb test?

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:25 pm

Crappie Pro Wannabe wrote:Alphahawk, Do you know the breaking strength of the trout sos 4lb test?
Yes....approximately at 5.5 pounds. I love SOS line....but the breaking strength is not what it says....but that just seems to be the industry standard here in USA.

Regards

Wpeart7
Angler
Angler

Post by Wpeart7 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:14 pm

That actually sounds right.

Sufix Nanobraid in the rest of the world at .06mm diameter is sold as 3.3kg/7.2lb test. Here in the US, for whatever idiotic reason, the exact same .06mm line is sold as "3lb test". Which having used it I can say it is sure as hell not 3lb test.

So assuming someone at Cabela's didn't like the sound of "7.2lb test" and rounded down to the nearest common poundage that would give you 6lb test. Maybe this is actually the start of a trend of not ridiculously under rating lines here in the US. Which would be awesome.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:54 am

I dont know if this is true, but I read somewhere that US lines are “rated” to reflect the breaking strength of the line once a knot has been tied in it as opposed to raw stregnth.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:53 am

Houndfish wrote:I dont know if this is true, but I read somewhere that US lines are “rated” to reflect the breaking strength of the line once a knot has been tied in it as opposed to raw stregnth.
I'm sure that may have been told about....but in the end I think manufacturers like to talk about how strong their line is and under rate their lines....at least most US market line. I used to watch "Knot Wars" on a fishing show....don't remember the name of the show....LOL...just that segment. There were many knots they tied that broke at the actual strength of the line. I always thought that the line would break less than the actual breaking strength of the line. Since getting the Bouz Drag Checker I've been testing my knots. I have found that my 2.1# test and 2.3# Varivas ester mono will break at the rating of my line. I tested my line with the 5 turn surgeons knot with my line tied to the leader and I also tested the Palomar knot to my jig head and I tested them both as a unit. The Palomar always tested 100 percent strength....can't mess it up really when you tie it. My leader that I was haphazardly tying....meaning I did not cinch it down like one should.....I was just pulling the ends.....was breaking at 80 percent strength of the line...not good I told myself. So I spent the better part of a whole day practicing tying and cinching down my 5 turn surgeons knot. I had line all over the floor....my wife was not too happy...LOL. In the end I got it down and my leader was holding and the line was breaking at the IGFA rating it has, at either 2.1# or the 2.3# test.....I tested with both lines. That Bouz Drag Checker is a handy little device.

Regards

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:52 pm

Wpeart7 wrote: Sufix Nanobraid in the rest of the world at .06mm diameter is sold as 3.3kg/7.2lb test. Here in the US, for whatever idiotic reason, the exact same .06mm line is sold as "3lb test". Which having used it I can say it is sure as hell not 3lb test.

Meanwhile in Germany...

we rather trust the US ratings as we know manufacturers are for decades coming up with the most ridiculous breaking strengths here. Sometimes double of whats realistic. You can't even trust the diameters. With line, probably the only correct thing claimed on the box is the color :roll:
As diameter is closer to what you actually get out of a line, probably thats why we focus on that when purchasing. Not the pound test

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:20 am

dennis_rf wrote:Meanwhile in Germany...

we rather trust the US ratings as we know manufacturers are for decades coming up with the most ridiculous breaking strengths here. Sometimes double of whats realistic. You can't even trust the diameters. With line, probably the only correct thing claimed on the box is the color :roll:
As diameter is closer to what you actually get out of a line, probably thats why we focus on that when purchasing. Not the pound test
Ouch...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:14 am

What's funny about that is the fishing industry sounds like a great place for psychiatrists to work, using human behavior to their advantage to sell more tackle, and it sounds like the worst example of that anywhere is in Germany, birthplace of modern psychology. Maybe there just isn't room for another shrink so they have to get jobs at Pure Fishing or whatever.
This is the way.