Most sensitive JDM rod for crappie?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Most sensitive JDM rod for crappie?

Post by darrin » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:31 pm

I originally posted this in the rods section, but someone suggested I would also get valuable feed back here.

I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the most sensitive crappie JDM rod that is out there. I know sensitivity is very subjective, but just wanted to get some ideas of what is available.

I'm looking for a dedicated rod for winter crappie and was looking at a St Croix Legend Panfish series rod. The winter bites are very subtle and I need all the help I can get. We fish vertically. My buddy uses an older Legend rod and he absolutely loves that rod. But being on this web site, I just have to ask myself, what are some of the JDM options I should also consider? I do have a F0-68X from Megabass that works for me, but wanted to upgrade.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Darrin

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Most sensitive JDM rod for crappie?

Post by Craigthor » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:37 pm

Alphahawk has a YouTube page I would recommend watching some of his videos they are super informational.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwWCjO ... ogjti50JFg

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:56 pm

Those Panfish Series rods are not bad at all, I have two, but I'm just a casual panfish angler. I wouldn't call them the most sensitive or crisp rods. I love mine for crappie and trout, but if we're to get more serious I'd sell them for something else. The JDM would have much better options if you're willing to pay. For roughly twice what the St Croix costs you could get a Major Craft X-Ride Mebaru or Ajing rod, solid tip or tubular, which would be considerably more sensitive and have a much better action. I've considered it myself, but I don't have a reel worthy for it and don't feel like spending a whole lot on a spinning rig. Beyond that, there are even higher end sticks, but I don't know jack about any of them firsthand.
This is the way.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:57 pm

Is this the panfish series or the legend panfish series? The legend series are about $370 and are a new series.

Which web sites do you recommend I check out to source these rods?

Thanks!

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:13 am

https://www.finesse-fishing.com - Chris is stateside

https://www.digitaka.com - ships out of Japan

Also eBay or Amazon Japan have items.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:05 am

I fish for crappie a lot. The best rod I have found for crappie is the Ice Cube series from Tict. I have the Rockin’ Drift....which is out of production but it seems it is still available from time to time. It is a very expensive rod but in my opinion is the best cast and retrieve crappie rod in the world...hands down.....with senstivty off the charts. I also own the Rockin’ Finesse 6’ 9” Sis. It is almost on par with the Rockin’ Drift. In my opinion you will not find better rods for crappie. The action.....extreme sensitivity....it is just like the Japanese made these for crappie. Here is a link to the Rockin’ Finesse 6’ 9” rod. https://www.digitaka.com/item.php?item=4988540178280 Now if you don’t want to spend that kind of money any Mebaru rod will be far better than any crappie rod you could buy in the states. But Mebaru rods are mostly 7 feet and over.....one of the reasons I went with Tict was they had under 7 Mebaru rods. I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on another high end rod that will in all likelihood be a superb crappie rod also....but that is a story for another day.

Here is a link to one of videos showing the rod I action. In about a 6 week period I caught around 600 crappie.....that is a conservative estimate......the Rockin’ Finesse played a huge role in doing that....the rod is just that good. Overlook the fact of my loose drag......I’m fishing with 2.1# test no stretch line and at that time was not sure just how tight I wanted to keep the drag.

Regards

https://youtu.be/L9guYE9kcCU

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:38 am

Thank you for the information Alphahawk! The price isn't too bad...I was looking at an Evergreen that is listed at $600 lol. I'm going to take a look at the ice cube. Seems you are the resident expert!

Craigthor, thanks for the stateside link. I'll check it out.

Much appreciated everyone!

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:44 am

darrin wrote:Thank you for the information Alphahawk! The price isn't too bad...I was looking at an Evergreen that is listed at $600 lol. I'm going to take a look at the ice cube. Seems you are the resident expert!

Craigthor, thanks for the stateside link. I'll check it out.

Much appreciated everyone!
More than welcome...you will not go wrong with an Evergreen....one is in my future. I’m no expert, just have purchased a lot of rods....able to fish 3-5 days a week........ and give my outlook on them. I can’t stress enough just how good the Tict is for crappie.

Regards

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:06 am

darrin wrote:Is this the panfish series or the legend panfish series? The legend series are about $370 and are a new series.

Which web sites do you recommend I check out to source these rods?

Thanks!
Ah. No, I have the older $120 models. I'm sure the LE version is killer. Plus, if you go that route you get a great warranty and customer service. If I was willing to spend that much that's definitely the route I'd go. If you don't like it, you can always sell it and try something from Japan.
This is the way.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:35 pm

Alphahawk, on digitaka, the IC 69F Sis is out of stock. What do you think of the IC-69F or IC-69S? I know the F version is the finesse and the P is the power, but I'm not sure how that actually plays out in the rod.

Thanks

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:46 pm

darrin wrote:Alphahawk, on digitaka, the IC 69F Sis is out of stock. What do you think of the IC-69F or IC-69S? I know the F version is the finesse and the P is the power, but I'm not sure how that actually plays out in the rod.

Thanks
I’m not familiar with the Power model at all...but....it is still a Mebaru rod. The IC69F Sis has the Sic-s insets that are about half the thickness of the normal Sic inserts. The IC-69F has the same blank...titanium guide frames as the Sis model. I would imagine one could not tell any difference at all. I’m corresponding with another gentleman right now about same thing.....the Sis or Sic. I told him to fire off an email to see when Digitaka expects to have them back in stock. I’ve watched that page for a few months now. They will get some in and have them about a week and then zero stock......then a week or two later they are back in stock. It must be a pretty popular rod as they seem to sell a lot of them. If the weight was going to be too long I would just get the IC69F

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Alphahawk, is the DRIFT a Mebaru or a Ajing action? (moderate vs ex fast).

Thanks.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:30 pm

ultralight wrote:Alphahawk, is the DRIFT a Mebaru or a Ajing action? (moderate vs ex fast).

Thanks.
All Ice Cube Rods are Mebaru Rods. The Drift is moderate......check out the bending curve using I think it was a 4 ounce weight in the following video....about the 5:30 mark.

Regards

https://youtu.be/-2ZVx8N0nfo

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 pm

Thanks! Very helpful.