What rod for someone who MAYBE wants to try BFS?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
raindance
Angler
Angler

What rod for someone who MAYBE wants to try BFS?

Post by raindance » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:57 pm

So I currently have a few reels that might qualify for BFS (tsurinoya xf50, shimano scorpion) so I might as well try to get a BFS rod. I really like my UL Spinning gear, I use it for trout and bluegill etc. Realistically maybe the lightest lure I will throw is 1/16thoz. Any recommendations for under $100?? Is there anything available here in the US? I am fine buying from Japan, but it seems that aliexpress has a LOT of choices for about $50, but I have never bought from there. Thank you all.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What rod for someone who MAYBE wants to try BFS?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:54 am

What length?

To be safe, if you could find a light powered Phenix Feather on sale, it would be close to your budget and it will be of use. It would handle the 1/8oz total weight lures and be able to he used for upper end panfish and lower end sized bass. Its a good rod from what I have read. I have 2 Phenix rods and they are more a little lighter in power than thier ratings suggest.

Your US choices will be limited unless you go custom.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:18 am

Kuying Teton UL if you want to use it for trout and panfish. Majorcraft Corzza 67L if you want to target bass with 1/16 jigs and 1/8 oz hard baits. You can get the Teton for $50 on Aliexpress and the Corzza for $120 from the Majorcraft America site.

raindance
Angler
Angler

Post by raindance » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:05 am

Something below 7ft. The kuying teton seems like it would work really well. Can I not use that for bass, or is it too underpowered? Just checked that version of the corzza and it seems it is out of stock. If a slightly big bass does bite I would like the rod to be able to handle that too.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:13 pm

My first BFS rod was a G-Loomis CR721 IMX. Although it is not technically called a BFS rod, it is a L powered rod that easily tosses a 2.5g lure. It is 6’ in length and they can had found pretty cheap. I would buy a newer one because I think it comes with better guides than the older models with the Wiebe reel seat.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:58 pm

OP, if you are within a reasonable drive to central MD I have a few of the entry level rods mentioned here that I would love to sell, but none them are worth enough for me to ship and make any money on.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:21 pm

You should check out some of the Kuying rods over on Aliexpress. Don't let the < $100.00 price point scare you off, these rods are made well beyond their price tag. I have the Teton TTC662L which is a 6'6" L powered rod. I'm very happy with it the short time I've had it. It came from overseas in it's own padded rod bag, which was wrapped in bubble wrap the entire length and inside of a PVC tube. I've NEVER had a rod sent to me packed like that.

Here's a very good review oi it ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGy1yfn2vvI

raindance
Angler
Angler

Post by raindance » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Thanks for the offer, sadly I am all the way here in CA.

Would the tt632UL work? Seems good for the price and specs seem right.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:32 pm

raindance wrote:Thanks for the offer, sadly I am all the way here in CA.

Would the tt632UL work? Seems good for the price and specs seem right.
Depending on where you are, Hi's Tackle Box has a lot of the Kuyings on display in their store in South San Francisco.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:31 pm

If you know how to play a fish vs trying to waterski it across the surface like the wannbe KVD's do with a broomstick, winch and 65 lb braid, you'll be able to land most any fresh water species that swims (even the biggun's) using UL gear.

Any well made rod can do it, just stick to the rules such as be patient, keep your cool, no high sticking or trying to lift the fish with it.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:31 pm

uljersey wrote:If you know how to play a fish vs trying to waterski it across the surface like the wannbe KVD's do with a broomstick, winch and 65 lb braid, you'll be able to land most any fresh water species that swims (even the biggun's) using UL gear.

Any well made rod can do it, just stick to the rules such as be patient, keep your cool, no high sticking or trying to lift the fish with it.
Fish can die from being overplayed. I have seen a decent pike (32in) die from an UL fight over the summer. Right tool for the right job. It is unavoidable to hook pike when UL fishing.

Also having enough backbone to set the hook helps a lot.

I am all for using lighter powered gear. I also make sure I end the fight as quickly as functionally possible.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:22 am

Maybe look at the Tsurinoya Proflex 2. I am considering the UL version of it, the guy who reviewed the Kuying Teton on youtube said it held a faster action with more backbone so it should cover 1/8 total weight well. Getting ready to pull the trigger on one myself.