2018 Corto 6’ 10” first trip.

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2018 Corto 6’ 10” first trip.

Post by Craigthor » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, I bought the one Ultralight listed just awaiting arrival. I do mostly stream fishing so it may or may not fit my needs but as you said unless you try you don’t know. The tip is super thin so that may make it too soft for my needs but I’ll put my Exist on it and find out.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:20 pm

Craigthor, I predict that you will not find the tip too soft. It is soft relatively to the rest of the blank but in the scheme of things, I feel that it is one of the stiffer higher powered UL blanks. Still UL but I think you are unlikely to find it too soft for UL.

Alphahawk, another guesstimate prediction (yup, just made that up) ....if I may. Have you talked to others who own your current Corto and then higher end Corto? My prediction is that if those are also solid tips, you will not find much difference in sensitivity. I could be wrong of course but that's what I'm guessing. I'm sure you are going to 'bite' and get one and can't wait for your thoughts. :)

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:24 am

Thanks for that. Now if I wasn’t on call starting Friday 8am-Friday 8am the weather would have been perfect to get out fishing.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:11 am

ultralight wrote:Craigthor, I predict that you will not find the tip too soft. It is soft relatively to the rest of the blank but in the scheme of things, I feel that it is one of the stiffer higher powered UL blanks. Still UL but I think you are unlikely to find it too soft for UL.

Alphahawk, another guesstimate prediction (yup, just made that up) ....if I may. Have you talked to others who own your current Corto and then higher end Corto? My prediction is that if those are also solid tips, you will not find much difference in sensitivity. I could be wrong of course but that's what I'm guessing. I'm sure you are going to 'bite' and get one and can't wait for your thoughts. :)
I have not talked to anyone who has the 18 Corto or the Super Corto. However Allsorts has the Corto Prototype model and from what he says I can only assume it is a better rod than the 18 Corto. He states at 350 dollars it is am amazing value. I have been taking his input on rods for a few years now and he has never steered me wrong and while I have a lot of JDM UL rods he has been doing this longer than me and has owned Graphiteleader and Ever Green rods. I am just starting down that road. Craigthor I don’t think you will find the tip too soft...just my opinion. I could discuss these rods all day. One thing I have found in JDM rods is when I move up in price my performance increase has been commensurate with the price increase. My next rod will be another Mebaru rod most likely the Graphiteleader Finezza Prototype. I have asked a question of a gentleman in Spain if it is that much better than the Blue Current TZ....Tict......TenRyu....and so on. His answer was a resounding yes in all categories. As to the sensitivity issue I can only assume the Super Corto is better. The blank in it is far more technically advanced thats for sure. I recently recommended the Super Corto to a gentleman on here to shoot docks. He wanted a 6 foot rod with the utmost sensitivity and price was not really an object for him as long as it was worth it. I think it is.....I don’t like to steer folks wrong. While the Super Corto is certainly not as flexible as what dock shooting rods are it will certainly be far more sensitive than any dock shooting rod sold in the USA. I would not have recommended the rod had I not seen the tensile strength test done with rods made with the Toray TA1100CA material. I find once you get to the 300 dollar mark in JDM Mebaru and Ajing rods we might be splitting hairs on senstivty. I need to fish the Corto a lot more to determine is it as or more sensitive than my other rods......so far I think it is but I need a lot more fishing with it to make my final call. It is the same with the Lunakia...need more time with it on the water. I don’t regret buying either and if someone wants a great rod I know enough to say they both are superb rods. Which brings me back to a thought in my head that will not go away. Why is the 18 Corto 80-100 dollars less than several other Ajing rods I own? I can only answer that question on the water after caching about 100 fish or so. Unfortunately our waters are so messed up from flooding I have no clue when I will fish again. But one thing I know.....if I find some extra money laying around I will have a Super Finezza.....but since I don’t regularly find 200 bucks on the ground it will most likely be the Finezza Prototype.

Regards

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:46 pm

Think this is a rod to play with, really impressed from holding and wiggling it in hand. Now to impatiently wait to get it out.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:02 pm

Beautiful! Now, THAT is a reel!! Alphahawk, I think you have a reel to aspire to....:)

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:22 pm

ultralight wrote:Beautiful! Now, THAT is a reel!! Alphahawk, I think you have a reel to aspire to....:)
Subtle little hints... LOL

On the flip side I did order a Fuji E-Z Hook Keeper for the rod for proper spoon holding.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:59 pm

I will have an Exist...it is just a question of when. Right now I look at the Finezza Prototype 6’ 10” UL several times a day. I know it is just a matter of time before I hit the buy button. That rod is calling me! Since all our waters are not fishable right now I seem to play around with the Corto quite a bit....still amazed the rod only cost me about 220 bucks. I need some Fuji hook keepers also.

Regards

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:22 pm

I’ve been eyeing this one since before the ‘18 Corto, may be on my buy list once I get some stream time to see how the rod responds.

http://www.olympic-co-ltd.jp/fishing/pr ... prototype/

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:36 am

Alphahawk wrote:I will have an Exist...it is just a question of when. Right now I look at the Finezza Prototype 6’ 10” UL several times a day. I know it is just a matter of time before I hit the buy button. That rod is calling me! Since all our waters are not fishable right now I seem to play around with the Corto quite a bit....still amazed the rod only cost me about 220 bucks. I need some Fuji hook keepers also.

Regards
If you plan to get an Exist now is the time, you can get the 1025 for $330 at the Takle Warehouse 30 days of Christmas sale for two more days and if you buy gift cards at 10% off to use you can get it for $300 like I did. Not a bad deal to get it for over half off since they are clearing them out for the new all silver model, you can use the $500 you are saving and get the Finezza and Exist to put on it!

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_J ... -DCEX.html

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:33 am

hungry_cow wrote:
Alphahawk wrote:I will have an Exist...it is just a question of when. Right now I look at the Finezza Prototype 6’ 10” UL several times a day. I know it is just a matter of time before I hit the buy button. That rod is calling me! Since all our waters are not fishable right now I seem to play around with the Corto quite a bit....still amazed the rod only cost me about 220 bucks. I need some Fuji hook keepers also.

Regards
If you plan to get an Exist now is the time, you can get the 1025 for $330 at the Takle Warehouse 30 days of Christmas sale for two more days and if you buy gift cards at 10% off to use you can get it for $300 like I did. Not a bad deal to get it for over half off since they are clearing them out for the new all silver model, you can use the $500 you are saving and get the Finezza and Exist to put on it!

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_J ... -DCEX.html
That’s a good buy on a great reel....no doubt. But I’m wanting the 2018 FC LT 1000S-P model.

Regards

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:14 pm

Something interesting as I have nothing but time to look at every inch of the rod. Is how the taper is designed, very interesting almost as if they took the best of a quick lower taper but a faster flexible tip and joined them in the middle.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:32 pm

For anyone wanting some closeup shots on quality....

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:18 pm

Craigthor wrote:Think this is a rod to play with, really impressed from holding and wiggling it in hand. Now to impatiently wait to get it out.

Nice shots in both posts. Is that some Japanese PE you have spooled on the reel? If so....what brand.....and having not made the move to JDM braid could you explain to me what it offers over and above US market braid. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:28 pm

Alphahawk wrote:...

Nice shots in both posts. Is that some Japanese PE you have spooled on the reel? If so....what brand.....and having not made the move to JDM braid could you explain to me what it offers over and above US market braid. Thanks in advance.

Regards
It is, I’m using Sunline Small Game PE .4 / 6lb test line. I really like the suppleness this has, feels different then several of the other US braids I’ve felt. Is it better or worse no idea but it has saved me many spoons that I would have otherwise lost. Not cheap which would be a negative compared to US braids, in my opinion it has proven its worth to me.