Help pick UL/L rod...too many choices

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
rtkolk
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Help pick UL/L rod...too many choices

Post by rtkolk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:54 am

Hi guys. Been reading the forum and thought I'd join because now I have more questions than when I started.

I'm looking for a UL or L rod mainly for trout fishing in Missouri trout streams but I'll also be using it for bluegill, and crappie. The place I most often fish for bluegill has a bunch of under 2lb large mouth so I'm hoping for something that can handle those as well when needed. Mainly will be using small plastic jigs like trout magnets, split shot or small drop shot rigs.

Currently I have a 1 piece UL 6' St. Croix Avid and I just haven't been happy with it. It just doesn't seem very sensitive to me. It's odd because I have a 6' 6" L St. Croix Triumph which I like a lot.

Originally I had my heart set on a Loomis TSR 801-2 or 802-2. Then I started reading this forum and now I have too many other possibilities. I've started looking at the Phenix Elixir, and some of the JDM rods like the TICT Icecube, Yamaga Blue Current, and Major Craft Truzer, etc...

I'd like to spend around $300 on the rod. I want something sensitive and fast action preferably. Any help would be appreciated.

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help pick UL/L rod...too many choices

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:35 pm

rtkolk wrote:Hi guys. Been reading the forum and thought I'd join because now I have more questions than when I started.

I'm looking for a UL or L rod mainly for trout fishing in Missouri trout streams but I'll also be using it for bluegill, and crappie. The place I most often fish for bluegill has a bunch of under 2lb large mouth so I'm hoping for something that can handle those as well when needed. Mainly will be using small plastic jigs like trout magnets, split shot or small drop shot rigs.

Currently I have a 1 piece UL 6' St. Croix Avid and I just haven't been happy with it. It just doesn't seem very sensitive to me. It's odd because I have a 6' 6" L St. Croix Triumph which I like a lot.

Originally I had my heart set on a Loomis TSR 801-2 or 802-2. Then I started reading this forum and now I have too many other possibilities. I've started looking at the Phenix Elixir, and some of the JDM rods like the TICT Icecube, Yamaga Blue Current, and Major Craft Truzer, etc...

I'd like to spend around $300 on the rod. I want something sensitive and fast action preferably. Any help would be appreciated.
For what your wanting to do I would get the Tict Ice Cube Rockin Finesse 6’ 10” model and not look back. I have owned both the Loomis and Phenix and the Ice Cube is a far superior rod. If you check out my YouTube channel...TroutMagnetMan......you willl see the Ice Cube in action. I fish a Trout Magnet about 90 percent of the time 3-5 days a week weather permitting. Now there are some other choices but keep in mind how fast....rigid a rod do you want. The Ice Cube strikes a good balance.

Regards

rtkolk
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rtkolk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:49 am

Thanks Alphahawk.

I watched your reviews and I ended up ordering a PALMS EGERIA AREA ESSS-61UL since I found it on sale for around $100 and you seemed to really like the 64XUL. I thought the ability to use 4lb test and a slightly heavier lure on the on the 61UL may be helpful for me over the 64XUL. Plus it seemed like a less expensive way to dip a toe into the JDM pool to see what I thought about it.

One question for you on the PALMS. Do you think a 1000 or 2000 series reel would be a better match for it?

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:59 am

rtkolk wrote:Thanks Alphahawk.

I watched your reviews and I ended up ordering a PALMS EGERIA AREA ESSS-61UL since I found it on sale for around $100 and you seemed to really like the 64XUL. I thought the ability to use 4lb test and a slightly heavier lure on the on the 61UL may be helpful for me over the 64XUL. Plus it seemed like a less expensive way to dip a toe into the JDM pool to see what I thought about it.

One question for you on the PALMS. Do you think a 1000 or 2000 series reel would be a better match for it?
Great price on the rod. The 1000 works out the best but it can handle the 2000 also. I think you will really enjoy the rod. Keep in mind when you step up in price there are very noticeable diffences in the JDM UL rods. I was hesitant to order the Palms as all I was fishing were the high end JDM UL rods........it worked out better than I hoped for.

Regards

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:02 am

[/quote]

For what your wanting to do I would get the Tict Ice Cube Rockin Finesse 6’ 10” model and not look back. I have owned both the Loomis and Phenix and the Ice Cube is a far superior rod. If you check out my YouTube channel...TroutMagnetMan......you willl see the Ice Cube in action. I fish a Trout Magnet about 90 percent of the time 3-5 days a week weather permitting. Now there are some other choices but keep in mind how fast....rigid a rod do you want. The Ice Cube strikes a good balance.

Regards[/quote]

Over the Lunakia? Thought you'd recommend the Lunakia as an all rounder?

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:12 am

ultralight wrote:

Regards[/quote]

Over the Lunakia? Thought you'd recommend the Lunakia as an all rounder?[/quote]

It is but I got the impression he would be into a lot of crappie and Gills. The Tict will give him more of a fun factor than the Lunakia. While the Lunakia is an all rounder the Tict is softer. Plus he was already looking at the Tict and when one starts looking at so many you get wrapped up into what to get.....at least I do. But he is going to have a huge fun factor with that rod he got....it will be very soft.

Regards

rtkolk
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rtkolk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:21 am

Thanks for the reply on the reel!

I had looked at the Lunakia as well. I like the looks of it over the TICT. Who knows, maybe in the future. That Graphiteleader Corto looks interesting as well. I can see this being a slippery slope.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:37 am

rtkolk wrote:Thanks for the reply on the reel!

I had looked at the Lunakia as well. I like the looks of it over the TICT. Who knows, maybe in the future. That Graphiteleader Corto looks interesting as well. I can see this being a slippery slope.
Lol, brother you've slid halfway down and don't even know it. Once you actually create a profile on this forum, you've crossed the event horizon of the tackle black hole and there's no going back. Welcome to the singularity.
This is the way.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:54 am

You guys are a hoot! :lol:

rtkolk
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rtkolk » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:26 am

Well, I got my Palms ESSS-61UL in the mail today. If this is one of the low end JDM rods I am very impressed. It is a beautiful rod.

Comparing it to my St. Croix Avid Ultralight it is significantly lighter. It's also much stiffer / faster action which I prefer even though both are listed as fast action rods.

I did have a chance to handle a St. Croix Legend Elite yesterday at the store. Also a very nice rod but $400 compared to the roughly $100 I paid for the Palms. Just in handling them it seems the Palms is more like the Legend Elite than the Avid based on weight and action. Though I'd also say the Palms is even a little faster action than the Legend Elite.

I'll have to get it out and fish it to see how it really performs. Opening day of trout season is still two months away but if we get a nice day I'll try and take it out at one of the winter stocked ponds around here. I also just got a new Stradic CI4+ 1000 in the mail to pair with it.

My only concern so far is it is so light it seems fragile. I'm afraid to break it :-)

Slippery slope here I come.....

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:17 pm

Us icefishing guys knows all about slippery slopes when glazed with ice and even in the early spring.

We wear cleats. The general populace likes Kahtoola Microspikes. I acually use Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra cleats.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish