DAIWA GEKKABIJIN MX M72L-S

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Popfly
Angler
Angler

DAIWA GEKKABIJIN MX M72L-S

Post by Popfly » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:18 am

One of the new "Light Game" rods that is not specific to Ajing or Mebaru, tubular tip, 95% Carbon & 5 pieces for travel. Not as light as the 2 piece toys that others are using but more than acceptable for winter fishing for Smallies...Twinpower 2000S & .3 PE Duel Armored F+ line. Super sensitive....Love it & the fact it is always in the truck. Used it yesterday while there is still no snow...:)

Specs:

Length 7'2" (ft) 2.18 (m)
Section 5 pc
Weight 89 g
Lure Weight 1-7 g
Line Weight 2-6 LB
Line Weight PE #0.15-0.4
Tip Diameter 0.9(0.8) mm
Butt Diameter 8.9 mm
Carbon 95%

Last edited by Popfly on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: DAIWA GEKKABIJIN MX M72L-S

Post by earthworm77 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:45 am

Tell me about the 5pc make up.......does it feel really solid to you?
I have become a big fan of the 2pc rods the last few years after absolutely hating the older ones I grew up with.
I'd love to learn more about this rod.

Popfly
Angler
Angler

Re: DAIWA GEKKABIJIN MX M72L-S

Post by Popfly » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:21 pm

I think the rod is very solid, but be care needs to be taken with the tip as it is tiny. I put a fine film of Loon Graphtolin ferrule wax at the base of each ferrule where they seat so that I can be sure they will come apart later. I don't find there to be any flat spots at the ferrules & it is a fast action rod, but it will bend progressively if you have to muscle a fish away from cover. I got it off Amazon.co.jp in April and fished it all summer it has taken Smallies, Carp, Hybrid stipers, Gills etc...
I think that it would balance better with a 2500 series reel as the handle is not too long & makes it seem tip heavy, but the old Twinpower is all metal & weighs more than the current ones. With the .3 PE line it casts a mile with 3 gram Jigs & Small spoons. I have also fished a lot of small plugs on it like the Lucky Craft wander 60 & Jackson Pygmy & liked the way it fished. I also have 2 Megabass travel rods a Secret Service Whipsnake & a Hyuga 5 piece light & they are sweet but for different applications.