Olympic Corto GCRTS -742-T

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Rustyfisher1508
Angler
Angler

Re: Olympic Corto GCRTS -742-T

Post by Rustyfisher1508 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:43 am

I managed to try out the 610 today! Alphahawk's reviews were spot on, the rod is a dream to cast! Line used was Unitaka Night Game PEII 0.4 with Unitaka Night Game FC 6lbs leader. This rod is insanely sensitive, I have a Tailwalk Ajist TZ 69/SL but man the Corto is on a whole new level. You'll definitely feel every bite, nibble, even breath of the fish(okay I'm exaggerating but you get what I mean). Caught a little Temensis(aka Spotted Peacock Bass) and a juvenile Giant Snakehead using a 2g Decoy Round Magic Jighead with a Cultiva Saltwater Microworm. Great day fishing today! Feel free to ask if you guys need more information! Always happy to share and learn :D

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:36 am

Rustyfisher1508 wrote:I managed to try out the 610 today! Alphahawk's reviews were spot on, the rod is a dream to cast! Line used was Unitaka Night Game PEII 0.4 with Unitaka Night Game FC 6lbs leader. This rod is insanely sensitive, I have a Tailwalk Ajist TZ 69/SL but man the Corto is on a whole new level. You'll definitely feel every bite, nibble, even breath of the fish(okay I'm exaggerating but you get what I mean). Caught a little Temensis(aka Spotted Peacock Bass) and a juvenile Giant Snakehead using a 2g Decoy Round Magic Jighead with a Cultiva Saltwater Microworm. Great day fishing today! Feel free to ask if you guys need more information! Always happy to share and learn :D
Congrats.....it is a great rod no doubt. What leader knot do you use with that setup?

Regards

Rustyfisher1508
Angler
Angler

Post by Rustyfisher1508 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:52 am

Hi Alphahawk, thank you so much! I use a simple uni to uni knot for my braid to leader! I use the same knot when I use my ester lines as well! So far so good! Gonna go try it out again in the morning crossing my fingers to maybe land smth bigger!

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:57 am

Rustyfisher1508 wrote:Hi Alphahawk, thank you so much! I use a simple uni to uni knot for my braid to leader! I use the same knot when I use my ester lines as well! So far so good! Gonna go try it out again in the morning crossing my fingers to maybe land smth bigger!
My weak area is knots....just hard to tie for me with the small lines. Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Rustyfisher1508
Angler
Angler

Post by Rustyfisher1508 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:54 am

Yeah that's why I choose the simplest knots, I find complicated knots not so practical for these kinds of fishung due to the fact we aren't catching river monsters haha! But that's just my opinion haha! It's an honour to hear from you as well love your YouTube reviews!

DragonEEL
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DragonEEL » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:34 am

Alphahawk or anyone,
How would you compare this to the Majorcraft Truzer Ajing solid tip rods?
Thanks

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:22 am

DragonEEL wrote:Alphahawk or anyone,
How would you compare this to the Majorcraft Truzer Ajing solid tip rods?
Thanks
Of course a lot of what I’m going to say is very subjective. Here are some facts.....Truzer have Torzite guides...Corto has Sic-S guides. There is not really a rod of same length in both model lineups to face to face compare. I have a Truzer 6’ 5” model. It weighs 3.5 ounces. The handle and reel seat on the Truzer is a beast.....with the reel seat being metal. It does not go into as much of a parabolic curve when hooking into smaller fish. While the build is good it in no way compares to the fit and finish of the Corto. The Truzer does have a place in my lineup of rods and I will not be getting rid of it. The Corto weighs only 1.95 ounces on my scale. It really goes into a nice bend when hooking and fighting smaller fish. I am going to give the nod on sensitivity to the Corto. To me the cost of the Corto being about 80 bucks less than the Truzer would make it a no brainer to buy. But I am saying that after I have both rods in hand. If I had to pick one the Corto wins hands down. I have seen Truzers for about 230 bucks in several places and I saw one somewhere that the price included free shipping. I have been researching all morning about buying another rod. While I am looking for something other than an Ajing rod I keep coming back to the Corto 6’ 4” model with a tip only .6mm in diameter. Am also looking at another hybrid TenRyu light game model that I know is softer than a true ajing rod but it is only 6’ 3”....if it was 6’ 4” I would have already hit buy. The Truzer is a beast of an UL rod...period. Perfect for smallmouth.....largemouth even.....white bass. But getting into even bigger bluegill it will not give one near as much fun as the Corto would if you happened on smaller fish for the day....yet no doubt in my mind the Corto can handle the Smallies also. To me the Corto is the much better buy than the Truzer....not to say the Truzer is not a great rod....it is but it just doesn’t measure up to the Corto.

Regards

Rustyfisher1508
Angler
Angler

Post by Rustyfisher1508 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:32 am

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VCoOvw ... p=drivesdk

If you guys would like to see how the corto is at full bend, I hooked into a huge catfish at a local reservoir last weekend.
Ignore the sounds of excitement from my friends cause here in Singapore we don't get much of this often!
I lost the fish due to my impatience but that's what I love about ultralight, it makes you learn to be more patient and to keep getting better.
My leader was way too light and I rushed the fish at the last part which caused me to lose it.
Enjoy!! Apologies if the quality isn't as good :D

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:07 am

Rustyfisher1508 wrote:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VCoOvw ... p=drivesdk

If you guys would like to see how the corto is at full bend, I hooked into a huge catfish at a local reservoir last weekend.
Ignore the sounds of excitement from my friends cause here in Singapore we don't get much of this often!
I lost the fish due to my impatience but that's what I love about ultralight, it makes you learn to be more patient and to keep getting better.
My leader was way too light and I rushed the fish at the last part which caused me to lose it.
Enjoy!! Apologies if the quality isn't as good :D
Very nice. What pound test line and leader were you using? This is the beauty of UL angling.....but sometimes we get one on that even if we do everything perfect we’re not going got get that fish in. There is no doubt the 18 Corto really stands out......especially at the price point.

Regards

Rustyfisher1508
Angler
Angler

Post by Rustyfisher1508 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:57 am

Haha I was using a Unitaka Night Game PE0.3 line with roughly 3lbs practical test with Tict Compact Light Shock Leader with 4lbs test, sounds weird but I was expecting to catch small little guys, the whopper took it really light as well, I only realised when he started running that I hooked onto something that was seriously gonna give me a run for the money!
I totally agree with you! Well it was your video which made me pull the trigger on the purchase, and man was it a really really good buy, I'm in love with the rod it's hard to put it down haha!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:10 am

Rustyfisher1508 wrote:Haha I was using a Unitaka Night Game PE0.3 line with roughly 3lbs practical test with Tict Compact Light Shock Leader with 4lbs test, sounds weird but I was expecting to catch small little guys, the whopper took it really light as well, I only realised when he started running that I hooked onto something that was seriously gonna give me a run for the money!
I totally agree with you! Well it was your video which made me pull the trigger on the purchase, and man was it a really really good buy, I'm in love with the rod it's hard to put it down haha!
Great video. It is hard not to put too much pressure on a big fish, because they are sooooo strong. Please tell you friend (the smile on your face singer) I said don't quit his day job. Hahaha

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:12 am

Rustyfisher1509, GREAT video. I felt your emotion....when a big one hits....the adrenalin hits and the rush is most enjoyable and yet with UL, one can't manhandle the fish in so it's a balance of feeling the rush and yet controlling one's desire to just horse it in. Thanks for sharing.

Is yours the 7' 4" or the 6' 10" length?

Rustyfisher1508
Angler
Angler

Post by Rustyfisher1508 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:25 am

Yo Ultralight! The one I used in the video was the 610-HS which is the solid tipped one, super sensitive, you'll feel every single little nibble on the rod. The stiffness of the rod contributes to the high sensitivity! I have the 742-T as well. I haven't got a chance to use it much though cause I can't put the 610 down HAHA.

Thank you for watching! Yeah it's the biggest fish I've actually hooked on an Ajing setup, and I'm determined to land the next one hopefully!!

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:24 pm

Rustyfisher1508, sent you a PM. Not sure if you saw it.

I am wondering if you would not mind doing a quick comparison - if the 742 has the same butt guide distance to the reel seat as the 6' 10" model. And if they both use the same butt guide sizes or does the 742 use a larger/taller guide?

Thanks!

Pickwick
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Pickwick » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:08 pm

I am also considering the 742 and would like to know the size of the butt guide. Does anyone know? Thanks.