Bubble fishing for trout

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bubble fishing for trout

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Alphahawk wrote:I don’t use a bubble but do use a 9 foot rod with a float and a Trout Magnet under the float. Catches of 50-150 trout a day are common. Been doing this for about 10 years. When I first started it I went 5 days a week 365 a year for about 3 years.....but as of late I don’t wade fish as much anymore due to back issues. This method is deadly on trout. Here is video of my nephew fishing the TM under the float. If you do a YouTube search you will find a ton of videos. There is also a Facebook Trout Magnet Users Group of about a thousand members who fish this method that can answer any questions you may have.

Regards

https://youtu.be/tECQtr4fQtg
I actually prefer the bobber over the bubble as the bright orange top is so easy to see. I was amazed at the action and what a kick on super light tackle! 20" trout go ballistic- similar to local steelhead which is my passion.
I looked at the trout magnets and will give them a try along with some rabbit hair mirco jigs that closely resemble the wooley bugger but with the weighted head which would eliminate having to add the weight under bobber along with the small piece of hollow core i secure about 2' above the fly.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:42 pm

I know you said bubble, but one thing I used was a clear spook puppy. There are times that trouts will spit the fly/lure out before I get a hook set. With the spook puppy, it was a much more smoother take. On top of that, the casting distance was better than a standard bubble/bobber. I still use bubble bobbers.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:41 am

No problems casting the 1/8 clear drift bobbers just as far as I would like using 8# braid
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:09 am

ogrich31 wrote:
1nutinthewater wrote:7' fixed leader under a 1/8 oz indicator is not the easiest to cast with a 7' rod but until i find a better method....
I tried a slip bobber but when retrieving the fly it pulls it up out of the zone.
What indicator are you using that weighs 1/8oz? Just wondering because I may want to try them out.
Those Thill Crappie Corks work the same way. They have 1/16 up to 3/8. You can use them fixed or in slip bobber mode. They're bright pink and yellow with a black line across the center for strike indication when using the appropriate weight. Academy has them.
This is the way.

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:25 pm

I’m gonna have to give this a try.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:44 am

After casting hardware for 40 years I finally have found a better method! Those fly guys may be on to something!

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:20 pm

Still searching for another 7'6"+ UL rod if anyone has suggestions. Several JDM options but........

alouie008
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alouie008 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Can someone show me how to rig bubble fishing?

Much Thanks!

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:59 pm

Bobber stop, bobber, bobber stop, barrel swivel, leader, weight, fly.
Make sense?

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:00 pm

If you are looking for JDM around 7' 6", I think you can't beat the Olympic 2018 Corto in 7' 4". I just sold one but can vouch that it is top bang for the buck, made in Japan. Problem is that a lot of 18 Cortos are selling with some dealers.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:24 pm

Allsorts wrote:The Europeans have developed a system to present flies at up to 70 yards using casting floats / weights called 'bombarda' or ' sbirulino'. Mostly used for sea trout in the Baltic. I've dabbled with them and they are certainly a useful tool. No too sure about leader lengths but I found 40% of rod length to be reasonably easy to handle.

Bombarda.jpg
Inshore searun brown trout fishing using 10-30 gram bombarda is a national sport here.
I prefer more traditional lure fishing as bombarda is a slow method albeit very efffective.
Experts use 10-12 foot spinning rods with leader lengths just a bit shorter than total rod length (90% of rod or so).
The long rods and heavy bombardas mean that casting distances often exceeed 70 yards.
It is a great way to present flies (1-2 per leader), micro jigs, micro spoons and whatever micro lure you fancy.

Knotty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Knotty » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:58 am

slipperybob wrote:I know you said bubble, but one thing I used was a clear spook puppy. There are times that trouts will spit the fly/lure out before I get a hook set. With the spook puppy, it was a much more smoother take. On top of that, the casting distance was better than a standard bubble/bobber. I still use bubble bobbers.
slpperybob, what is it about the Spook Puppy that changes your ability to get a hook set? Do you think it’s the horizontal attitude of the “bobber”?

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:07 pm

ultralight wrote:If you are looking for JDM around 7' 6", I think you can't beat the Olympic 2018 Corto in 7' 4". I just sold one but can vouch that it is top bang for the buck, made in Japan. Problem is that a lot of 18 Cortos are selling with some dealers.

Love my Loomis TSR901 but at 7'6" it is not the best for throwing a bobber with 6-7' leader under a bobber. Still looking for a nice 8-9' spinning rod with similar action.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:28 am

Ordered and received the 8' Daiwa presso.
Not impressed- sloppy cork and very top heavy even when loaded with my heaviest small reel which is a Stradic 1000FK. ](*,)

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:28 pm

Knotty wrote:
slipperybob wrote:I know you said bubble, but one thing I used was a clear spook puppy. There are times that trouts will spit the fly/lure out before I get a hook set. With the spook puppy, it was a much more smoother take. On top of that, the casting distance was better than a standard bubble/bobber. I still use bubble bobbers.
slpperybob, what is it about the Spook Puppy that changes your ability to get a hook set? Do you think it’s the horizontal attitude of the “bobber”?
It's easier to see subtle bites on the spook. Slight change in direction or even an upbite change to the float.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish