Do I need a BFS reel?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
JFeb88
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Do I need a BFS reel?

Post by JFeb88 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:12 am

Hello guys,

I fish for Peacock Bass in Puerto Rico. The best way to fish them here is using small lures. Normally these are the lures that i use:

Bucktail jigs 1/8 - 1/4 oz
Spinnerbaits 1/8 (most used lure)
Jerkabits 3/16- 1/4
Torpedos 1/4

My current setup is a Metanium MGL with a 6’6 medium Carbonlite, for the 1/4 stuff its ok but its struggling to throw the 1/8 lures. I bought a ML 6’6 Carbonlite that should arrive next week (hopefully that helps?).

So the big question is... ¿Should i get a BFS reel? ¿Can I use a bfs to cast 1/4 oz?

Thanks in advance for your help.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Do I need a BFS reel?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:41 am

Really? Of course we are gonna say yes, this is Tackle Tour! :lol: Maybe just get into a CU/SC 70/71 reel. Im sure that they will be able to handle that. Plus, the rod is gonna be a huge factor in being able to cast these lures, as well as the line. Maybe look into finding a Daiwa SV105/Alphas SV if you like Daiwas. I suggested the Curado/Scorpion due to similar braking system as Metanium.
<")))><{

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:01 am

1/8 to 1/4 is more of a power bfs to me. You could get a bfs spool for your met but since this is TT i see a great reason to get another reel. The 105 sized daiwas and the aldebaran mgl would be high on the list for your weight range.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:10 am

JFeb88 wrote:Hello guys,

I fish for Peacock Bass in Puerto Rico. The best way to fish them here is using small lures. Normally these are the lures that i use:

Jerkabits 3/16- 1/4
Torpedos 1/4

My current setup is a Metanium MGL with a 6’6 medium Carbonlite, for the 1/4 stuff its ok but its struggling to throw the 1/8 lures. I bought a ML 6’6 Carbonlite that should arrive next week (hopefully that helps?).

So the big question is... ¿Should i get a BFS reel? ¿Can I use a bfs to cast 1/4 oz?

I checked out one of those ML Carbonlite rods. Not so bad. Also ordered a 6'6"ML spinning from them a few years back when the color was black (still wished I had bought a "light" instead). The ML rod you ordered should really help. From my memory, BPS rods rate closer to ABU and St. Croix rods, so a Light might be even better for 1/8 total lure weight, but the Medium Light will still be good. I have been tossing 1/8 heads w/ 3" Easy Shiners fairly well with my SV105/Medium Light rod. Also for future reference, the extra rod length seems to always help too. Not sure all the sizes BassPro makes, but I would say a 7'ML would hold advantage over a 6'6"ML if you make another purchase or try a different rod company.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:27 am

JFeb88 wrote:Hello guys,

Jerkabits 3/16- 1/4
Torpedos 1/4

Well, you obviously could get a BFS specific reel but it isn't totally necessary. Depends on what you are looking to spend. Maybe consider super tuning your Metanium and add in some Boca Orange seal bearings. That should give you a little extra casting distance with the reel. A BFS spool will help as well but then we are getting into the realm of just getting a new reel. That said, I have 3 Aldebarans, 2 are BFS models and I really like them.

I think the addition of the ML rod will help and it might make doing anything to the reel unnecessary. I wouldn't actually label the way you are fishing BFS.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:31 pm

If your most often used bait is an 1/8 oz spinnerbait, then yes, you should absolutely get a bfs reel. If you can swing it, take a look at the Daiwa SS Light Limited. It's perfect for your wheelhouse

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:13 pm

What about an Aldebaran 30 MGL? It should appeal to someone familiar with the Met MGL looking to go lighter. According to Jun it is best at 3/16 oz and up which a 1/8 oz spinnerbait would wall within. Ned rigs too. It might have too much cross over with the Met MGL. I honestly don't know but it looks like a great power BFS centrifugal reel.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:49 pm

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, wanna fish lure down to 1/8 oz. with this very light weight lure both reel and rod are crucial. if money is no object I say why not get a true BFS reel which can handle the weight you want and even lower. One thing to remember BFS reel come with super shallow spool if you bomb cast 3/16oz you might not have enough line on spool. Most of my reel as is (2 Shimano 50s and 4 of 70s series Daiwa SV105) can handle 1/8oz weight but not good enough, no distance or too much over run. My route is to buy shallow spool for them that I can get more distance and less headache with 1/8oz weight and switch spool when I fish 3/16 or higher. With shallow spool (pixy with Ray's spool) I can cast down to 1/10oz about 40' and I think that the lowest it can handle.
The rod, I have quite a few that got Lure weight down to 1/8 but none of them can handle 1/8oz weight well enough, I use these rod mostly for Ned rig or 3/16 Lure. I also have Carbon lite ML 7' as well and this rod is a SOP too much backbone too stiff on the tip and with 4.6oz weight, even it rated at 1/16oz I don't think I would use it for such light lure. I think with 1/8oz lure, Light rod would be the way to go even better if rated as BFS rod. In my case I have MC go emotion 6'5 L/BF which got Lure weight down to 1/16oz.
As of right now I think I'm happy with Daiwa pixy/Ray's Spool and Aldebaran/yumeya spool, but who know once you cross into the dark side it is hard turning back.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:57 am

Just_Bass wrote:I'm kind of in the same boat as you, wanna fish lure down to 1/8 oz. with this very light weight lure both reel and rod are crucial. if money is no object I say why not get a true BFS reel which can handle the weight you want and even lower. One thing to remember BFS reel come with super shallow spool if you bomb cast 3/16oz you might not have enough line on spool. Most of my reel as is (2 Shimano 50s and 4 of 70s series Daiwa SV105) can handle 1/8oz weight but not good enough, no distance or too much over run. My route is to buy shallow spool for them that I can get more distance and less headache with 1/8oz weight and switch spool when I fish 3/16 or higher. With shallow spool (pixy with Ray's spool) I can cast down to 1/10oz about 40' and I think that the lowest it can handle.
The rod, I have quite a few that got Lure weight down to 1/8 but none of them can handle 1/8oz weight well enough, I use these rod mostly for Ned rig or 3/16 Lure. I also have Carbon lite ML 7' as well and this rod is a SOP too much backbone too stiff on the tip and with 4.6oz weight, even it rated at 1/16oz I don't think I would use it for such light lure. I think with 1/8oz lure, Light rod would be the way to go even better if rated as BFS rod. In my case I have MC go emotion 6'5 L/BF which got Lure weight down to 1/16oz.
As of right now I think I'm happy with Daiwa pixy/Ray's Spool and Aldebaran/yumeya spool, but who know once you cross into the dark side it is hard turning back.
That's why the SS Light Limited is a special reel. Extra line capacity than a typical bfs reel, but still bfs capable. Imo, the spool is pretty special, and perfect for bfs (1/8), and power finesse. I put one in my Alphas Air, and it's one of my favorite reels. Can cover quite the range with it.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:27 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
That's why the SS Light Limited is a special reel. Extra line capacity than a typical bfs reel, but still bfs capable. Imo, the spool is pretty special, and perfect for bfs (1/8), and power finesse. I put one in my Alphas Air, and it's one of my favorite reels. Can cover quite the range with it.[/quote]

Hog,
What reels are compatible with the 32mm SV LL spool?

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:05 pm

I’ll bet that 1/8oz spinnerbait weighs more than a 1/4oz.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:07 pm

I would opt for more line capacity that the newer super shallow BFS reels have but not a deep spool either.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
That's why the SS Light Limited is a special reel. Extra line capacity than a typical bfs reel, but still bfs capable. Imo, the spool is pretty special, and perfect for bfs (1/8), and power finesse. I put one in my Alphas Air, and it's one of my favorite reels. Can cover quite the range with it.
Hog,
What reels are compatible with the 32mm SV LL spool?[/quote]
Alphas Air
SS Air
T3 Air??

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:18 pm

Another really solid option would be the Steez SV TW or Zillion SV TW with a Zpi Nrc001-m spool. Can accommodate and excel with 1/8 oz, but provides you with plenty of line for most situations.

JFeb88
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by JFeb88 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Thank you all for the help.

Ill have to do some research now, so many suggestions!