If I need new BFS reel?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: If I need new BFS reel?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:00 pm

John G wrote:For you guys that like the 12 Aldebaran BFS XG platform, a KTF or an Avail ALD1224 with the magnetic brakes will put the OG spool to shame in performance. The OG spool holds the same amount of line as the 32mm Yumeya and that is one of the things that it has going against it.
I think the stock 12 Aldebaran BFS can handle 1/8oz fine. Bearings make it better and of course a spool is the best upgrade. After buying the reel and a spool, may as well buy a Scorpion BFS or another new BFS reel.

Ive always been tempted by the Avail trout spool for the 12 Aldebaran BFS.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote: I think the stock 12 Aldebaran BFS can handle 1/8oz fine. Bearings make it better and of course a spool is the best upgrade. After buying the reel and a spool, may as well buy a Scorpion BFS or another new BFS reel.

Ive always been tempted by the Avail trout spool for the 12 Aldebaran BFS.
The OG spool in the 12 BFS XG will even cast a 2.5g Bitsy Minnow without any issues but it just doesn’t do it better than the KTF or the Avail ALD1224. I agree with you about buying a reel and a BFS spool. That is what we used to do years ago but nowadays there are great BFS reels that are ready to go right out of the box. My favorite new BFS reel is my 16 Aldebaran BFS XG.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:I had the 32 mm Yumeya bfs spool in my Scorpion XT1001 - once upon a time. Though it was superb. Broadend my horizons and have stuck with Daiwa platforms with various spools. Recently acquired an Aldebaran Mg7 and another Yumeya spool. Was left underwhelmed, so my last Shimano has been sold. I can't think of a better, more cost effective bfs reel out of the box than the Alphas Air.
I really like my SS Air. 1/16 oz crankbaits and spinnerbaits are easy to cast with it. With 1/8 lures, I can spool it except for a 3 or 4 wraps. I have about 80 yds of 8# Sufix 832 braid on it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:43 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:I had the 32 mm Yumeya bfs spool in my Scorpion XT1001 - once upon a time. Though it was superb. Broadend my horizons and have stuck with Daiwa platforms with various spools. Recently acquired an Aldebaran Mg7 and another Yumeya spool. Was left underwhelmed, so my last Shimano has been sold. I can't think of a better, more cost effective bfs reel out of the box than the Alphas Air.
I really like my SS Air. 1/16 oz crankbaits and spinnerbaits are easy to cast with it. With 1/8 lures, I can spool it except for a 3 or 4 wraps. I have about 80 yds of 8# Sufix 832 braid on it.
I like mine too. I sold my first and regretted it so...I bought another one AND...am selling it because I got an Alphas AIR Stream Custom, go figure.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:49 pm

I’ve started spooling much less line on my BFS reels than I used to. Back in the day, I filled them up to the rim. Now, I spool around 35 yards of line on them. Basically about 105 to 110 feet of line. I’m wasting much less line and I’m casting lighter weight lures easier.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:08 pm

John G wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote: Keep in mind, you have to pull all of your line out on the spool after swapping from a LH to RH reel or vice versa. The line will be on the bottom of the spool. Can be an annoying inconvenience.
Took me about 30 seconds to work that out in my head but your right. LOL
Hah, glad I was not the only one.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Houndfish wrote: Hah, glad I was not the only one.
:lol:

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:15 am

Thank you all for comments. If I say I'm not really into BFS I would be lying, but I would say I just wanna be able to downsize my lure and sometime fish for crappies on casting gear (becuz I'm suck with spinning). I don't really plan to go extreme BFS to be able to cast Lure below 2 grams. As of my equipment now, pixy with diy spool pair with Trout rod Daiwa spinmatic 7' UL, I can cast down to 2.5 grams which is good enough for crappies/trout fishing. I also have MC go emotion 652L which I use normally for finesse fishing for bass mostly weightless worm and such which in between 1/8 - 3/16oz weight. With this type of fishing I can use any of my reels and able to cast far enough 50' to cover most of my target. I utilize this type of fishing mostly in summer when bass chasing bluegill close to shoreline. I fish in 300 acres lake so BFS might not be suitable in most cases.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:23 am

Just_Bass wrote:Thank you all for comments. If I say I'm not really into BFS I would be lying, but I would say I just wanna be able to downsize my lure and sometime fish for crappies on casting gear (becuz I'm suck with spinning). I don't really plan to go extreme BFS to be able to cast Lure below 2 grams. As of my equipment now, pixy with diy spool pair with Trout rod Daiwa spinmatic 7' UL, I can cast down to 2.5 grams which is good enough for crappies/trout fishing. I also have MC go emotion 652L which I use normally for finesse fishing for bass mostly weightless worm and such which in between 1/8 - 3/16oz weight. With this type of fishing I can use any of my reels and able to cast far enough 50' to cover most of my target. I utilize this type of fishing mostly in summer when bass chasing bluegill close to shoreline. I fish in 300 acres lake so BFS might not be suitable in most cases.

...BFS is always suitable

Its like yoga pants. No matter the time of year or where you go...its in season
Last edited by Hobie-Wan Kenobi on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:24 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:If you are interested, I have an extra Yumeya 32mm spool for the Shimano 50E platforms. Its like new in package.
thanks, I know you have, I PMed you about a week ago about this spool.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:40 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Just_Bass wrote:Thank you all for comments. If I say I'm not really into BFS I would be lying, but I would say I just wanna be able to downsize my lure and sometime fish for crappies on casting gear (becuz I'm suck with spinning). I don't really plan to go extreme BFS to be able to cast Lure below 2 grams. As of my equipment now, pixy with diy spool pair with Trout rod Daiwa spinmatic 7' UL, I can cast down to 2.5 grams which is good enough for crappies/trout fishing. I also have MC go emotion 652L which I use normally for finesse fishing for bass mostly weightless worm and such which in between 1/8 - 3/16oz weight. With this type of fishing I can use any of my reels and able to cast far enough 50' to cover most of my target. I utilize this type of fishing mostly in summer when bass chasing bluegill close to shoreline. I fish in 300 acres lake so BFS might not be suitable in most cases.

...BFS is always suitable

Its like yoga pants. No matter the time of year or where you go...its in season
Lol, I know I can fish with BFS all year round and also more fun fighting bass with L or even UL rod. In most cast if I know big bass hanging around and hungry I would go with something big like Zoom Magnum Fluke. I fish pre spawn bass with 6-8" hudds then down size to Magnum Fluke around post spawn. I fish Reg Fluke and Fluke Jr mostly in Summer around weed. I never able to fish Tiny Fluke until I got Pixy so this spring I will use Tiny Fluke and 2" jerkbait for crappies.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:48 am

How far can you cast 1/8 Lure with your BFS set up? Yesterday I tested out Pixy/DIY spool (stock bearing) on MC GEC 652L and got about 60-70' If I use alde MG7 or Alphas SV I got only 30-40'. So far I'm pretty happy with Pixy for backlash free especially when night fishing. I think I'm gonna go with 70s with DIY spool, I also like the ideal of adjustable brake on the fly just like Pixy and hope the perform as well as Pixy.
IMG_1544.JPG
IMG_1544.JPG (90.74 KiB) Viewed 6501 times

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:02 am

Just_Bass wrote:How far can you cast 1/8 Lure with your BFS set up? Yesterday I tested out Pixy/DIY spool (stock bearing) on MC GEC 652L and got about 60-70' If I use alde MG7 or Alphas SV I got only 30-40'. So far I'm pretty happy with Pixy for backlash free especially when night fishing. I think I'm gonna go with 70s with DIY spool, I also like the ideal of adjustable brake on the fly just like Pixy and hope the perform as well as Pixy.
IMG_1544.JPG
The 71 with DIY spool will shine with hardbaits. Idk if it will out perfom the Pixy with softbaits in the wind.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:29 am

Keep in mind that various 1/8 oz hard baits will cast differently. My 1/8 oz Rebel Teeny Wee Pop R casts like a crumpled up piece of paper and my 1/8 oz Tiny Trap casts like it is rocket propelled.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:37 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Just_Bass wrote:How far can you cast 1/8 Lure with your BFS set up? Yesterday I tested out Pixy/DIY spool (stock bearing) on MC GEC 652L and got about 60-70' If I use alde MG7 or Alphas SV I got only 30-40'. So far I'm pretty happy with Pixy for backlash free especially when night fishing. I think I'm gonna go with 70s with DIY spool, I also like the ideal of adjustable brake on the fly just like Pixy and hope the perform as well as Pixy.
IMG_1544.JPG
The 71 with DIY spool will shine with hardbaits. Idk if it will out perfom the Pixy with softbaits in the wind.
Totally agreed, I got way better distance with 70s compare to Alphas SV when casting sub 1/4oz jerkbait. The only problem with 70s is like a wild child, some day behave good and someday uncontrollable, I got more professional overrun way more often with 70s.