If I need new BFS reel?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
southpaw619
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: If I need new BFS reel?

Post by southpaw619 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Fenwick Japan is owned by Pure Fishing. I have some of the latest models and they're all made in China. I have a few rods that are made in Japan as well. There is no difference in build quality between the Fenwicks and the MIJ rods I have. The one difference however is the Fenwicks are made from better components.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:53 pm

So...about that BFS reel???

I see the thread has taken a turn into JDM rods, then to Fenwick. We can start a new rod origin thread. I am not trying to be rude or be "that guy" but, being someone who references to older threads for info, it makes getting info more difficult when threads go so far off topic. I know in the moment, it seems more logical to have the posting flow but, we have to think of all of years of knowledge we post as an archive others can learn from.

There have been a lot of posts lately that have been going way off track. Though this one has not turned into 6 page argument, I feel we can improve upon keeping our forum clean and easier to access the information for members and non-members.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:28 pm

Yep we went on a bender. Back on topic. What season can I wear my Yoga pants again? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:46 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:Yep we went on a bender. Back on topic. What season can I wear my Yoga pants again? :lol: :lol: :lol:
That was an analogy but, to answer your question, every season...just like BFS. No white reels after Labor Day though
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:29 am

Since we are getting back to reels, I will post my latest build. I’ve had the reel for years and I got the parts minus the knobs a few weeks ago and it just got the knobs yesterday.

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:43 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:The only rod I've ever owned that was made in Japan, with documentation to prove it was a couple of Olympic Graphiteleaders. They actually roll their own blanks in Japan. I know Evergreen uses some of their blanks as well, but I don't know if they're assembled in Japan
All my Evergreen rods are made in Japan. Starting from the old Tactics series, through the Kaleido and the latest FACT series.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:00 am

John G wrote:
LowRange wrote:
the hooligan wrote:I was always under the impression that the jdm fenwicks were made in japan. When my KTF super techna showed up with the made in china sticker on it i was little disappointed. But, once you handle it and see the build quality you quickly forget, lol. Same with my X7's, always thought they were jdm as well to find out made in china.
JDM Japanese Domestic Market does indicate country of origin but rather the products market.
He knows that and there is no confusion on what JDM is.
The last sentence "Same with my X7's, always thought they were JDM as well to find out made in china" would indicate that that he did not at the time of the posting.
I took it as "I thought my X7s were JDM too but I guess not because they are made in China." To me this demonstrated that he was still under the impression that JDM meant made in Japan. As one tackle enthusiast to another I felt it was important to spell out the definition of JDM to prevent further confusion with JDM tackle and the money associated with the acquisition of such items. I'd hate to see a guy drop some money on something thinking it was made in Japan because it was JDM. Just looking out is all.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:46 am

Helping is good. :D

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:21 am

LowRange wrote:
John G wrote:
LowRange wrote:
the hooligan wrote:I was always under the impression that the jdm fenwicks were made in japan. When my KTF super techna showed up with the made in china sticker on it i was little disappointed. But, once you handle it and see the build quality you quickly forget, lol. Same with my X7's, always thought they were jdm as well to find out made in china.
JDM Japanese Domestic Market does indicate country of origin but rather the products market.
The last sentence "Same with my X7's, always thought they were JDM as well to find out made in china" would indicate that that he did not at the time of the posting.
I took it as "I thought my X7s were JDM too but I guess not because they are made in China." To me this demonstrated that he was still under the impression that JDM meant made in Japan. As one tackle enthusiast to another I felt it was important to spell out the definition of JDM to prevent further confusion with JDM tackle and the money associated with the acquisition of such items. I'd hate to see a guy drop some money on something thinking it was made in Japan because it was JDM. Just looking out is all.
After re reading everything, I think that I came off as a dick. That wasn't my intention. LOL
The Hooligan has been a member of The Dark Side for a long time and I actually think that he kinda gave the impression that you took. Anyway, I didn't mean any harm and I know that you didn't either. O:)

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:55 am

LowRange wrote:
John G wrote:
LowRange wrote:
lol, well aware the difference of MIJ and JDM =;

To get back on topic, skip the rays spool and try out a true bfs reel. I was one of the first few that got try out the rays stuff before it was on market and its alright but its no where near the quality of shimano or daiwa spools.

Recommendations for the two best out of the box bfs reels, 16 bfs xg and alphas air.

Best aftermarket setup, zpi 732 aldebaran, zpi 710 metanium, avail 1224r bfs xg.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:59 am

the hooligan wrote:
LowRange wrote:
John G wrote:
LowRange wrote:
lol, well aware the difference of MIJ and JDM =;

To get back on topic, skip the rays spool and try out a true bfs reel. I was one of the first few that got try out the rays stuff before it was on market and its alright but its no where near the quality of shimano or daiwa spools.

Recommendations for the two best out of the box bfs reels, 16 bfs xg and alphas air.

Best aftermarket setup, zpi 732 aldebaran, zpi 710 metanium, avail 1224r bfs xg.
What! No KTF? :mrgreen:

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:08 am

lol,

ZPI #1
KTF #2
Avail #3

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:08 am

the hooligan wrote:lol,

ZPI #1
KTF #2
Avail #3
I agree and would appreciate
1: A more shallow version of ZPI NRC001-M
2: A more shallow version of the KTF spool for Daiwa 34mm
3: A shallow Avail spool for Daiwa 34mm

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:13 am

Dalleinf wrote:
the hooligan wrote:lol,

ZPI #1
KTF #2
Avail #3
I agree and would appreciate
1: A more shallow version of ZPI NRC001-M
2: A more shallow version of the KTF spool for Daiwa 34mm
3: A shallow Avail spool for Daiwa 34mm
KTF is due to have their 34MM Versitile Finesse Spool back out in December. 50 meter of 12lb, what does that translate to, 70-80 meters of 6#, full? It's the same capacity as a Megabass IS Honeycomb.

Karil has a 4 part BFS tutorial that is very educational. Taught me a lot anyway.

http://www.karil.co.jp/baitfinesse/

One of the (widely known) techniques I have been utilizing on my MB Honeycomb is just winding 50-60 cranks of line onto the spool. I can't cast it off throwing 5 grams, and I don't have much of a concern with long drag pulls from the fish I target. I have considered getting the IS BFS spool, (just to have it more than anything), but I ask myself, will I really see any more distance, or lower latitude in lure weight than just using the MB IS HC spool with 50 cranks of line?

As a side note, I have used that IS Honeycomb in my IS, Steez A, and Steez LTD and really cant tell much of a difference in performance. Settings are somewhat different but overall performance is not.

I really don't go below 4-5 gram total lure weight, so I know this might not apply to guys who are throwing 1-3 grams.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:28 am

Another thing I will add that I think most people don't think about is matching the side plate bearing to the spool bearing. I would imagine that if you are swapping out spools (especially a BFS spool with a high quality micro bearing) and leaving in your stock or even a quality ceramic bearing in your sideplate, your not doing yourself any favors.

I might be wrong, but just a thought.