If I need new BFS reel?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: If I need new BFS reel?

Post by the hooligan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:11 am

I was always under the impression that the jdm fenwicks were made in japan. When my KTF super techna showed up with the made in china sticker on it i was little disappointed. But, once you handle it and see the build quality you quickly forget, lol. Same with my X7's, always thought they were jdm as well to find out made in china.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:38 am

the hooligan wrote:I was always under the impression that the jdm fenwicks were made in japan. When my KTF super techna showed up with the made in china sticker on it i was little disappointed. But, once you handle it and see the build quality you quickly forget, lol. Same with my X7's, always thought they were jdm as well to find out made in china.
I agree Matt. It’s the same with the Major Craft MSX Limiteds. They are Made in Vietnam but the build quality is second to none.

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:21 am

I have a KTF Fenwick as well, ver1. I agree it's a nice rod and has all premium components.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:00 am

the hooligan wrote:I was always under the impression that the jdm fenwicks were made in japan. When my KTF super techna showed up with the made in china sticker on it i was little disappointed. But, once you handle it and see the build quality you quickly forget, lol. Same with my X7's, always thought they were jdm as well to find out made in china.
JDM Japanese Domestic Market does indicate country of origin but rather the products market.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:55 pm

LowRange wrote:
JDM Japanese Domestic Market does indicate country of origin but rather the products market.
He knows that and there is no confusion on what JDM is.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:02 pm

John G wrote:
LowRange wrote:
He knows that and there is no confusion on what JDM is.

He does, but I think alot of people have that misconception. I know I was a bit let down when I recieved by 1st $400 MB rod-made in China, hopeing for redemtion I ordered a $500 MB rod, China, further redemption a $600 MB rod China. It's litterally a sticker shock, and I'm not talking about price. No reprieve until I ordered some Luxxes. Love my MB rods though.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:27 pm

The only rod I've ever owned that was made in Japan, with documentation to prove it was a couple of Olympic Graphiteleaders. They actually roll their own blanks in Japan. I know Evergreen uses some of their blanks as well, but I don't know if they're assembled in Japan

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Not sure of the ages of the participants on this thread (I'm 54) but I remember when Made In Japan was looked upon as poorly as Made In China is now ... Japan became dominant in manufacturing and quality in the 80's and still is. China is not there quite yet but they're coming up. It's just a matter of time. Not a fan of their blatant disregard of copyright laws and theft of intellectual property but there's no denying they're going to be a manufacturing force to deal with soon enough.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:04 pm

I have 6 OG Poison Glorious’s and I was told that they are Made in Japan. They don’t say made anywhere on them. I would think if they were made in Japan they would say it but I bought some of them brand new and none of them had a made in China or anywhere else sticker on them.
Last edited by John G on Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:09 pm

Zenaq says they are Made in Japan.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
He does, but I think alot of people have that misconception. I know I was a bit let down when I recieved by 1st $400 MB rod-made in China, hopeing for redemtion I ordered a $500 MB rod, China, further redemption a $600 MB rod China. It's litterally a sticker shock, and I'm not talking about price. No reprieve until I ordered some Luxxes. Love my MB rods though.
Did your Megabass rods say Made in China. I have only owned two different Megabass rods. A Kirisame and the F2-60X Criffhanger. I don’t remember either one saying where they were made.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:00 pm

John G wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Did your Megabass rods say Made in China. I have only owned two different Megabass rods. A Kirisame and the F2-60X Criffhanger. I don’t remember either one saying where they were made.
Maybe they made some of the older series of MB rods in Japan, I have pretty new versions.
Ive got, (1) Levante, (2) T.S. Series (stunning rods), (1) 30th Legend Limited, (1) 2017 Destroyer (1) Orochi XX, and (1) Shorluck Limited. (1 Hyuga) I think they all had the little China sticker. Really, it's not taking anything away from the rod. There is no quality issue, there is no functional issue. The aethetics are out of this world. Maybe just an expectation when you spend a mint on an item and you come to find out it originates from one of the cheapest labor markets in the world, and a country that has a reputation of selling knock offs. It's arguable that they have a competent workforce and under the right direction and supplied the right materials they can probobly make items just as good as anyone. ITO has the R&D and the design element covered.
I was also dissapointed that my Morethan and Battler were made in Thailand, but again, stellar craftmanship.
Luxxe is so proud that they make thier rods in Japan they paste it right on the blank, no stickies there.
I've kinda made it my mission to research some of the most expensive brands in Japan (although I have not purchased any yet).
Sedition, Designo Leban, Roman Made, Dream Express, One Style, Evergreen, Gancraft, Deps, Nories, Beams, Rodio Craft, Studio Composite, Varivas, Raid, Olympic, Macca, ISM Infinite Blade, Zenaq.
All of these companies have $500 plus rods. How many are made in Japan, I have no idea.
The ones that have peaked my interest the most are the Designo, Rodio Craft and Sedition.
If anyone has additional info on these companies, let us know!

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
John G wrote:
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Maybe they made some of the older series of MB rods in Japan, I have pretty new versions.
Ive got, (1) Levante, (2) T.S. Series (stunning rods), (1) 30th Legend Limited, (1) 2017 Destroyer (1) Orochi XX, and (1) Shorluck Limited. (1 Hyuga) I think they all had the little China sticker. Really, it's not taking anything away from the rod. There is no quality issue, there is no functional issue. The aethetics are out of this world. Maybe just an expectation when you spend a mint on an item and you come to find out it originates from one of the cheapest labor markets in the world, and a country that has a reputation of selling knock offs. It's arguable that they have a competent workforce and under the right direction and supplied the right materials they can probobly make items just as good as anyone. ITO has the R&D and the design element covered.
I was also dissapointed that my Morethan and Battler were made in Thailand, but again, stellar craftmanship.
Luxxe is so proud that they make thier rods in Japan they paste it right on the blank, no stickies there.
I've kinda made it my mission to research some of the most expensive brands in Japan (although I have not purchased any yet).
Sedition, Designo Leban, Roman Made, Dream Express, One Style, Evergreen, Gancraft, Deps, Nories, Beams, Rodio Craft, Studio Composite, Varivas, Raid, Olympic, Macca, ISM Infinite Blade, Zenaq.
All of these companies have $500 plus rods. How many are made in Japan, I have no idea.
The ones that have peaked my interest the most are the Designo, Rodio Craft and Sedition.
If anyone has additional info on these companies, let us know!
I completely understand about what you are referring to when talking about the price of a new stick versus the labor cost to make it. The Fenwick Super Technas have a price tag of around ¥90,000. Needless to say, I can’t afford that. LOL
If I want one of those, I have to buy used or search around and buy used. LOL
Even my KTF Fenwick Golden Wing Tour Edition Rods are made in China but they are beautiful to look at and I would put the craftsmanship ahead of anything that I have ever seen from G-Loomis and they are made with top quality components but win new, I think they had a ¥50000 price tag.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:15 pm

John G wrote:Zenaq says they are Made in Japan.
I was aware they are made in Japan. They have a very tight distribution network and none of them will ship that brand in particular to the US. (or I could not find any). It makes me think they have a patent or trademark issue.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
John G wrote:Zenaq says they are Made in Japan.
I was aware they are made in Japan. They have a very tight distribution network and none of them will ship that brand in particular to the US. (or I could not find any). It makes me think they have a patent or trademark issue.
Actually, I think it's just a distribution agreement. They all can only ship to specific locations, none bieng the US. And they don't have a distributor here yet. Maybe could buy direct from Zenaq?